PDA

View Full Version : How to hold a contest

deach
07-17-2009, 06:41 AM
A contest should have a tangible prize, whether it's a pack of mints or a brand new car.
A challenge is competition where reward is the completion of a task.
Having others do work for you and disguising it as a challenge is lame. Instead of holding a contest, just post "I need some help blah blah blah." There are plenty of helpful people here.

Every contest should contain the following:

some sort of theme
specific rules (ie you must say "this is for the blah blah blah contest" at the beginning of the video)
end date (2-4 weeks is plenty of time)
number of entries permmited
judging criteria
prize

- Contest holders should announce winners in a timely fashion. If people are entering your contest, show them a little courtesy in return.

mrUKETOBER
07-17-2009, 06:43 AM
preach on oh mighty deach ! :D
:nana:

UkeNinja
07-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Are you challenging us to contest your competitive views?

sukie
07-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Are you challenging us to contest your competitive views?

Lolz.

haole
07-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Sticky this!

Bratset
07-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Sticky this!

Indeed! :shaka:

lisaxy424
07-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Deach - your MmmBop contest was what inspired me to host my own...it was just too much fun seeing all the entries!!!

(and I'm sorry for bringing back up that time in your life that you probably wish to forget forever...:rofl:)

Thank you for clarifying a contest vs. challenge :)

veep
07-17-2009, 10:10 AM
A contest should have a tangible prize, whether it's a pack of mints or a brand new car.
A challenge is competition where reward is the completion of a task.
Having others do work for you and disguising it as a challenge is lame. Instead of holding a contest, just post "I need some help blah blah blah." There are plenty of helpful people here.

Every contest should contain the following:

some sort of theme
specific rules (ie you must say "this is for the blah blah blah contest" at the beginning of the video)
end date (2-4 weeks is plenty of time)
number of entries permmited
judging criteria
prize

- Contest holders should announce winners in a timely fashion. If people are entering your contest, show them a little courtesy in return.

spot on !!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

Thumper
07-17-2009, 10:20 AM
If there were a contest for "best post about how to hold a contest," then Deach's post would win, hands-down.

And I bet the prize would be something awesome, like... a pony, with spots shaped like ukuleles!

Ukeffect
07-17-2009, 10:36 AM
You know what, why doesn't UU have a commitee to provide contest guidance to the contest runners and maybe do the (masked) judging, that way we know the contests are on a level playing field, and it's not so hard for one person to pick winner(s). It would keep things timely, and light hearted! I would volunteer as a judge...or am I just spitting into the wind?

sukie
07-17-2009, 10:50 AM
You know what, why doesn't UU have a commitee to provide contest guidance to the contest runners and maybe do the (masked) judging, that way we know the contests are on a level playing field, and it's not so hard for one person to pick winner(s). It would keep things timely, and light hearted! I would volunteer as a judge...or am I just spitting into the wind?

Starting to sound like Big Brother here.

Of course contests aren't on a level playing field. What deach would pick and what I would pick are probably two different choices. Same for anybody. Guidelines are fine and good. Making people follow them are a whole different story.

CoLmes
07-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I hope this isn't about mine man..

I know it sucks I don't have prizes or anything.. I just thought it be cool to get a UU member to get a banner up for us..

I do have 2 contests in my head that follow with what you define a contest as.. One I think could be really freaking fun if it's done correctly. I just don't have the funds to get prizes for it.. yet.

That being said, as soon as I do get some sort of prizes.. I will be posting it, but not really sure how soon that'll be. I love UU and don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to get a banner cheaply or something.. I'm just broke.

deach
07-18-2009, 03:41 AM
I hope this isn't about mine man..

I made this list because there are so many "contests" running now. I thought it would be a helpful checklist for contest holders.

This list is compiled from my experiences of contests and entering contests.

A good example of how to run a contest - any official UU contest.

A good example of how to create a challenge - GrumpyCoyoteTune's Bring a Song Challenge

ukeshale
07-18-2009, 04:25 AM
I think mine meets all of that criteria - with exception of the duration but I explained the reasoning behind that when I started the contest. I don't THINK i'm doing anything wrong... but i'm sure someone would tell me if I was.

lisaxy424
07-18-2009, 06:47 AM
I think mine meets all of that criteria - with exception of the duration but I explained the reasoning behind that when I started the contest. I don't THINK i'm doing anything wrong... but i'm sure someone would tell me if I was.

Like Deach said - it's just a helpful checklist...he's not making "RULES" for running a contest. Your contest has been so much fun - don't worry about it! :D

ihavenotea
07-18-2009, 06:53 AM
If there were a contest for "best post about how to hold a contest," then Deach's post would win, hands-down.

And I bet the prize would be something awesome, like... a pony, with spots shaped like ukuleles!

I want that pony!

ihavenotea
07-18-2009, 06:55 AM

I can't wait to put together an entry for your contest when I get back from vacation. Awesome stuff.

ukeshale
07-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Like Deach said - it's just a helpful checklist...he's not making "RULES" for running a contest. Your contest has been so much fun - don't worry about it! :D

i hear ya! just checkin in ;)

I can't wait to put together an entry for your contest when I get back from vacation. Awesome stuff.

cool! can't wait :shaka:

cocohonk
07-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm now inspired to hold a contest. A good one, hopefully.

dominicfoundthemooon
07-18-2009, 04:24 PM
i have yet to hold a contest contest... but i will be sure to check off my deach check list when i do... so many good ones going on right now... with good prizes!! i am loving the soul/motown banjo uke contest! holler!

d

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-18-2009, 08:05 PM
i want to hold a contest, although i want something unique... like aotearoa strummer, the prize ukulele is unique. I've played a few of them and its an ideal prize. i don't know about the prize...

but the contest would be something on reggae.

Ziegman5000
02-26-2011, 07:05 AM
I don't know if I'd hold any contests, but if that event were to occur, how would one send a prize to a winner? I don't know the first thing about shipping or anything like that. I've never even ordered anything online.

pabrizzer
11-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Gee, where do I start?
Some of the Seasons contests were raffles - and they were the ones I thought rewarded entrants best for their efforts.
Getting people to share their love of the uke and their joy in music is not "having others do work for you".
MUSIC is not boxing, world championship wrestling, car racing, the olympics, the tour de France (although they often share the drug thing), marbles, 10 pin bowling, arm wrestling, etc.
Defeating an opposition is not something that I set about to do when posting videos in a "competition" here and I'm a pretty competitive person.
And the notion of having to be awarded a "tangible prize"? Is that really why people enter comps here?
If the entries are to be judged the presentation should go, "I liked this one best."
Or, "The point system used shows that the judges preferred this entry."
Or, "All (or some of) the entries went in a hat and ..."
NOT "THE WINNER IS!"
Just my 2 cents worth.