Help out an Aussie

SgtKulpepper

Reaction score
Hey guys just looking at getting my first uke. Been reading around and it seems everyone recommends Kala or Makala brands. At my local music shop they have a uke made by Sanchez. Its like the ones under 'Solid Top Ukes on the second page at this site http://www.jadeaustralia.com.au/pdfs/sanchez.pdf. Cant remember what wood it has but it has the pickup built in. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

New Ukulele

Hi
Lots of articles at this site about 'a first ukulele', all good advice. I say find a player and ask to try an instrument or try a couple of music stores. Take the advice about putting quality strings on your ukulele even a cheap one can sound good with nice quality strings. I wrote somewhere on this site that a cheap ukulele can be better or worse than a mid priced instrument but a good quality instrument usually costs more. The choice is yours. I play a really bottom range Mahalo and a Stagg US10 and am happy with my lot.
Let us know what you get and how you progress. Good luck.

Hey guys just looking at getting my first uke. Been reading around and it seems everyone recommends Kala or Makala brands. At my local music shop they have a uke made by Sanchez. Its like the ones under 'Solid Top Ukes on the second page at this site http://www.jadeaustralia.com.au/pdfs/sanchez.pdf. Cant remember what wood it has but it has the pickup built in. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

gudday mate :D From my experience with this brand you'll want the music store to at least set it up before you take one home. They tend to come with a high action and pretty bad strings. If the store can set you up with any other strings and shave down the action a little, you'll be well on the way to a half decent instrument for the coin.

In my opinion they come straight from the factory in a fairly bad state, but they have the potential to scrub up well enough. Won't be anything to write home about, but once set up one of these should be ok.

Have you got a budget?

Cheers for the great replies so far. My budget would definitely be nothing over $150-200 AU. I was going to get a cheap $50 one but reading around I think it would be wise for me to spend a bit more.

The action of the Sanchez didnt seem to bad to be honest but I would definitely take your advice and get some better strings. How much do decent uke strings cost?

Also should I just go ahead and get the Sanchez or possibly buy a Kala or Mahala (they seem to be the most popular). I really just want to start playing!hahaha. Thanks guys

Edit: oh the price of the uke (the sanchez solid top) is $150. Is that good for what Ill get?

Cheers for the great replies so far. My budget would definitely be nothing over $150-200 AU. I was going to get a cheap $50 one but reading around I think it would be wise for me to spend a bit more.

The action of the Sanchez didnt seem to bad to be honest but I would definitely take your advice and get some better strings. How much do decent uke strings cost?

Also should I just go ahead and get the Sanchez or possibly buy a Kala or Mahala (they seem to be the most popular). I really just want to start playing!hahaha. Thanks guys

Edit: oh the price of the uke (the sanchez solid top) is $150. Is that good for what Ill get?
i am pretty new here and only got my uke about 1-2 weeks ago, but i bought a makala concert and, although it is only cheap i got it out the box and tuned it up and it played fine. i was surprised at the quality for the price. it is by no means a proper instrument, and i am still waiting on some aquila strings, but it is fun to play, which is the main point really. however, if there are ukes that you can try and decide if you like, that is a fairly safe option- trying out instruments when possible is always a good thing.

http://www.guitarfactory.net/Accessories/Accessories.htm#Strings

strings? ahahah, i dunno if this is what you mean? look online for strings to find prices.

Last edited:
I've tried the Sanchez one that you're talking about, and it's not bad, but I really think for the money you can get something much better, such as a Kala. You'll get better value buying online on eBay from either MGM or Musiccitycairns. If you don't want to buy online, seeing you're in Brisbane, Arties in Aspley have quite a good selection of ukes, and they have someone working there who is really into ukes, and has been ordering some great ones (also you can get Aquila strings there now). It's worth going in there to try a few different ones out anyway...

i have played a sanchez.... i dont recommend it, IMO.

i would get a kala for your price range. kala mango :D like freds old 1.

I've tried the Sanchez one that you're talking about, and it's not bad, but I really think for the money you can get something much better, such as a Kala. You'll get better value buying online on eBay from either MGM or Musiccitycairns. If you don't want to buy online, seeing you're in Brisbane, Arties in Aspley have quite a good selection of ukes, and they have someone working there who is really into ukes, and has been ordering some great ones (also you can get Aquila strings there now). It's worth going in there to try a few different ones out anyway...

Ok I've decided Ill wait till I get back to Bris. So I had a look at Arties site and would something like this be better http://www.artiesmusic.com.au/product_detail.php?prd_code=KALA KA-S

Wooohooo well thats great. Guess Ill pick one up next week when Im back in Bris!

Oh another question which gets asked heaps I guess but Ill ask it anyway hahaha. Would you experienced uke players recommend a soprano or concert to start out with bearing in mind I play guitar so Im used to larger frets??
Cheers guys. Really appreciative for you posts

Wooohooo well thats great. Guess Ill pick one up next week when Im back in Bris!

Oh another question which gets asked heaps I guess but Ill ask it anyway hahaha. Would you experienced uke players recommend a soprano or concert to start out with bearing in mind I play guitar so Im used to larger frets??

i hate sopranos. I would personally go with concert.
Although there are some ppl out there that are insane with the sopranos.

Yeah Im leaning towards the concert just because going from a guitar to a soprano may be annoying. Anyway hopefully Arties has both sizes in stock and I can try both as the right size seems to be very personal.

Ok I've decided Ill wait till I get back to Bris. So I had a look at Arties site and would something like this be better http://www.artiesmusic.com.au/product_detail.php?prd_code=KALA KA-S

I think that one would be a lot better than the Sanchez for the price. Every time I've been there they have at least ten ukuleles at all different price ranges, so at least it will give you a chance to try out a few different ones. They're really nice there too - they don't mind you trying them all out.

Have you considered a tenor? If you play guitar, it's worth keeping a tenor in mind as a choice too. I'd suggest just try a couple out in each size and see which one feels best for you. It really is a personal preference.

Ohana has a good reputation

Ohana has a good name in these pages and you can see a review on you tube.
Buy a Makala with the change, just for fun! I think if a cheap instrument sounds right and your happy. It is a 'proper musical instrument'. Think of all the great players who can knock out a tune on a cigar box.

Yeah Im leaning towards the concert just because going from a guitar to a soprano may be annoying. Anyway hopefully Arties has both sizes in stock and I can try both as the right size seems to be very personal.
i play guitar and did not fancy switching down to a soprano straight off (although i'm sure i will obtain one at some point, i just thought it would be hard to switch to that small at the time). i found it a good size to go down to. i actually found switching down not a problem, but at first going back up to guitar i would buzz a few chords 'cause i would be holding the top of the frets 'cause i was used to the smaller frets of the uke.

Top Bottom