PDA

View Full Version : Help out an Aussie

SgtKulpepper
07-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Hey guys just looking at getting my first uke. Been reading around and it seems everyone recommends Kala or Makala brands. At my local music shop they have a uke made by Sanchez. Its like the ones under 'Solid Top Ukes on the second page at this site http://www.jadeaustralia.com.au/pdfs/sanchez.pdf. Cant remember what wood it has but it has the pickup built in. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

toubisard
07-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Hi
Lots of articles at this site about 'a first ukulele', all good advice. I say find a player and ask to try an instrument or try a couple of music stores. Take the advice about putting quality strings on your ukulele even a cheap one can sound good with nice quality strings. I wrote somewhere on this site that a cheap ukulele can be better or worse than a mid priced instrument but a good quality instrument usually costs more. The choice is yours. I play a really bottom range Mahalo and a Stagg US10 and am happy with my lot.
Let us know what you get and how you progress. Good luck.

whetu
07-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Hey guys just looking at getting my first uke. Been reading around and it seems everyone recommends Kala or Makala brands. At my local music shop they have a uke made by Sanchez. Its like the ones under 'Solid Top Ukes on the second page at this site http://www.jadeaustralia.com.au/pdfs/sanchez.pdf. Cant remember what wood it has but it has the pickup built in. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

gudday mate :D From my experience with this brand you'll want the music store to at least set it up before you take one home. They tend to come with a high action and pretty bad strings. If the store can set you up with any other strings and shave down the action a little, you'll be well on the way to a half decent instrument for the coin.

In my opinion they come straight from the factory in a fairly bad state, but they have the potential to scrub up well enough. Won't be anything to write home about, but once set up one of these should be ok.

Have you got a budget?

SgtKulpepper
07-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Cheers for the great replies so far. My budget would definitely be nothing over $150-200 AU. I was going to get a cheap $50 one but reading around I think it would be wise for me to spend a bit more.

The action of the Sanchez didnt seem to bad to be honest but I would definitely take your advice and get some better strings. How much do decent uke strings cost?

Also should I just go ahead and get the Sanchez or possibly buy a Kala or Mahala (they seem to be the most popular). I really just want to start playing!hahaha. Thanks guys

Edit: oh the price of the uke (the sanchez solid top) is $150. Is that good for what Ill get?

12imnew
07-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Cheers for the great replies so far. My budget would definitely be nothing over $150-200 AU. I was going to get a cheap $50 one but reading around I think it would be wise for me to spend a bit more.

The action of the Sanchez didnt seem to bad to be honest but I would definitely take your advice and get some better strings. How much do decent uke strings cost?

Also should I just go ahead and get the Sanchez or possibly buy a Kala or Mahala (they seem to be the most popular). I really just want to start playing!hahaha. Thanks guys

Edit: oh the price of the uke (the sanchez solid top) is $150. Is that good for what Ill get?
i am pretty new here and only got my uke about 1-2 weeks ago, but i bought a makala concert and, although it is only cheap i got it out the box and tuned it up and it played fine. i was surprised at the quality for the price. it is by no means a proper instrument, and i am still waiting on some aquila strings, but it is fun to play, which is the main point really. however, if there are ukes that you can try and decide if you like, that is a fairly safe option- trying out instruments when possible is always a good thing.

http://www.guitarfactory.net/Accessories/Accessories.htm#Strings

strings? ahahah, i dunno if this is what you mean? look online for strings to find prices.

SgtKulpepper
07-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Just been looking in ebay and these stand out for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ohana-SK-10-soprano-ukulele-PERFECT-UKE-UNDER-100_W0QQitemZ280369146057QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Mus ical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item41474da8c9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SOPRANO-UKULELE-Solid-Mahogany-UK320S-NEW-MELMUSIC_W0QQitemZ270425011982QQcmdZViewItemQQptZA U_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item3ef6963 70e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MAHALO-CUTAWAY-ELECTRIC-SOPRANO-UKULELE-with-GigBag-NEW_W0QQitemZ270425790048QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Mus ical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item3ef6a21660&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Any advice? Id very much appreciate it. Cheers

grappler
07-18-2009, 05:51 PM
where abouts in australia are you from

SgtKulpepper
07-18-2009, 06:10 PM
I live mostly in Brisbane but Im in Toowoomba at the moment

14twelve
07-18-2009, 06:52 PM
I've tried the Sanchez one that you're talking about, and it's not bad, but I really think for the money you can get something much better, such as a Kala. You'll get better value buying online on eBay from either MGM or Musiccitycairns. If you don't want to buy online, seeing you're in Brisbane, Arties in Aspley have quite a good selection of ukes, and they have someone working there who is really into ukes, and has been ordering some great ones (also you can get Aquila strings there now). It's worth going in there to try a few different ones out anyway...

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-18-2009, 07:10 PM
i have played a sanchez.... i dont recommend it, IMO.

i would get a kala for your price range. kala mango :D like freds old 1.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-18-2009, 07:12 PM
also, do not recommend mahalo. but thats just me because some people do like them. lowest i would go is a lanikai, which is my current ukulele :D makala's are good though

SgtKulpepper
07-18-2009, 07:13 PM
I've tried the Sanchez one that you're talking about, and it's not bad, but I really think for the money you can get something much better, such as a Kala. You'll get better value buying online on eBay from either MGM or Musiccitycairns. If you don't want to buy online, seeing you're in Brisbane, Arties in Aspley have quite a good selection of ukes, and they have someone working there who is really into ukes, and has been ordering some great ones (also you can get Aquila strings there now). It's worth going in there to try a few different ones out anyway...

Ok I've decided Ill wait till I get back to Bris. So I had a look at Arties site and would something like this be better http://www.artiesmusic.com.au/product_detail.php?prd_code=KALA%20KA-S

grappler
07-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Ok I've decided Ill wait till I get back to Bris. So I had a look at Arties site and would something like this be better http://www.artiesmusic.com.au/product_detail.php?prd_code=KALA%20KA-S

that should be fine to start off!
:shaka:

SgtKulpepper
07-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Wooohooo well thats great. Guess Ill pick one up next week when Im back in Bris!

Oh another question which gets asked heaps I guess but Ill ask it anyway hahaha. Would you experienced uke players recommend a soprano or concert to start out with bearing in mind I play guitar so Im used to larger frets??
Cheers guys. Really appreciative for you posts

grappler
07-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Wooohooo well thats great. Guess Ill pick one up next week when Im back in Bris!

Oh another question which gets asked heaps I guess but Ill ask it anyway hahaha. Would you experienced uke players recommend a soprano or concert to start out with bearing in mind I play guitar so Im used to larger frets??

i hate sopranos. I would personally go with concert.
Although there are some ppl out there that are insane with the sopranos.

SgtKulpepper
07-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah Im leaning towards the concert just because going from a guitar to a soprano may be annoying. Anyway hopefully Arties has both sizes in stock and I can try both as the right size seems to be very personal.

14twelve
07-18-2009, 11:19 PM

I think that one would be a lot better than the Sanchez for the price. Every time I've been there they have at least ten ukuleles at all different price ranges, so at least it will give you a chance to try out a few different ones. They're really nice there too - they don't mind you trying them all out.

14twelve
07-18-2009, 11:23 PM

Have you considered a tenor? If you play guitar, it's worth keeping a tenor in mind as a choice too. I'd suggest just try a couple out in each size and see which one feels best for you. It really is a personal preference.

toubisard
07-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Ohana has a good name in these pages and you can see a review on you tube.
Buy a Makala with the change, just for fun! I think if a cheap instrument sounds right and your happy. It is a 'proper musical instrument'. Think of all the great players who can knock out a tune on a cigar box.

12imnew
07-19-2009, 03:26 AM
Yeah Im leaning towards the concert just because going from a guitar to a soprano may be annoying. Anyway hopefully Arties has both sizes in stock and I can try both as the right size seems to be very personal.
i play guitar and did not fancy switching down to a soprano straight off (although i'm sure i will obtain one at some point, i just thought it would be hard to switch to that small at the time). i found it a good size to go down to. i actually found switching down not a problem, but at first going back up to guitar i would buzz a few chords 'cause i would be holding the top of the frets 'cause i was used to the smaller frets of the uke.

12imnew
07-19-2009, 03:37 AM
I think if a cheap instrument sounds right and your happy. It is a 'proper musical instrument'. Think of all the great players who can knock out a tune on a cigar box.

i feel like that may have slightly been aimed at me also, hahah. when i said that i had a cheap thing and it wasn't a proper instrument, all i meant was that although it does what it's supposed to do and i have a lot of fun with it, value for money is right up there, but quality is not- it's good for the price, but ultimately to get a better sound you need to spend more. i just meant that it sounds like the cheap instrument that it is. i guess i was just trying to say that you generally get what you pay for, but if you can try stuff you can also decide what is best value for money yourself ie. an instrument may sound better to one person than it does to someone else. personal preference type thing.

whetu
07-19-2009, 11:01 PM
now that I know your price range, add my vote to getting a Kala :)

SgtKulpepper
07-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Cheers for all the replies guys. Ive got a Concert Kala on hold and will try the soprano out aswell on the weekend and let you all know how it goes

toubisard
08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Let us know what you get and how you progress. Good luck.

So> What did you buy and how is it going.

14twelve
08-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Good luck with it. What did you end up getting? And did you know about the Brisbane Ukulele group? They meet the first Monday of every month - www.brisbaneukulele.com (http://www.brisbaneukulele.com).