Oscar Schmidt social group

Ukeffect

Reaction score
Both the OU2e and the OU-5LCE have the UK-2000 pickup. In my opinion, it is a great pickup and I love the sound when I record and through the acoustic guitar amp played live.

You will see more companies using the UK-2000 pickup system in their instruments because it has a battery block (no reaching through the strings to change a battery), the EQ is great and really gives you a wide range of sounds, and the volume is excellent. The under-saddle transducer pickup works very well.

Oscar Schmidt does something unique in that they have a notched saddle, teeth-like projections that place a more exact contact on the transducer under each string. I find that their electronics, due to that saddle, have the BEST note separation of any ukulele I have found. That is one of the best innovations that any uke company has made.

I posted a recording of the Eagles song, Desperado, recorded on the OU5-LCE...

http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/desperado.mp3

That should give you some idea how it sounds.

I will be reviewing the OU-5LCE in the coming issue of Ukulele Player Magazine

Last edited:
I noticed that bit about the saddles, they all appear to have that...so what does that do for a normal acoustic...having that type of saddle? Come to think of it I don't know of any other company that has that saddle treatment on their instruments.

I noticed that bit about the saddles, they all appear to have that...so what does that do for a normal acoustic...having that type of saddle? Come to think of it I don't know of any other company that has that saddle treatment on their instruments.

As far as I know, Oscar Schmidt is the only company doing that. Ohana uses the UK-2000 pickup and so is Lanikai on some models. I think Kala has it on a few, too, but I have not seen any other company make the saddles that way.

You Desperado is seriously good!! I really enjoyed listening to that, and it makes me want to get an Oscar Schmidt with electronics. And the vocal harmonies sounded really good!!!

I have an OU-5 that I'm trying to sell. It did me good for a while but it is time for me to move on to bigger and better things. A great beginner uke in my opinion though!! Nice to see there's an Oscar Support Group :D

FIRST UKE was an O/S that I got for my birthday...I don't have it anymore but it brought JOY to my life when I had her. I called her "Mahal"...

It was an awesome ukulele and I always tell people that it served me well. I believe its also available everywhere...so its accessible and affordable!!:D

Top Bottom