Makapili Concert Pineapple For Sale in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas

Reaction score
Makapili Concert Pineapple PRICE REDUCED

Up for sale is a concert sized pineapple ukulele.

Makapili ukuleles are handmade of solid woods in Italy. All the wood in this ukulele was reclaimed or from certified sustainable forests (except for fretboard and bridge, sorry).

This one has

solid Hinoki soundboard,
solid Acacia Confusa back and sides,
Pau Ferro fretboard and bridge,
Isan Shan headplate veneer and marker inlays,
Spanish Cedar neck

Gotoh SGM geared tuners

Spanish style heel.

This is a very beautiful looking and sounding insturment strung with Aquila strings.

It has some scratches on the soundboard and some very slight distortion of the sides. Neither of these will affect the sound or the structural integrity of the insturment. They both occured during the construction of the insturment.
Because of these two defects this is being sold as a second.

Asking price is 300 Euros or 420 US dollars. Plus shipping. No case included.

NEW PRICE...215 Euros or $300 US.

I will ship anywhere in the world for actual shipping price through UPS or Fed EX or DHL.

This is an excelent deal on an excellent sounding and beautiful looking insturment due to minor cosmetic issues. I hope it lands in good hands.

I will be happy to send sound files of this insturment to anyone that is interested.

Take care,
Thomas

Attachments

• face-1.jpg
    face-1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 210
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 79
  • fret.jpg
    fret.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 66
  • close-face.jpg
    close-face.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 91
  • end.jpg
    end.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I'd think about it if it was $300 US. Very nice but a tad high for a "second".

Quiz: Any Pinoys here know what "Makapili" meant during and right after the war? May have to ask your grandparents this one. ;)

So if uncle says $300 US is a fair price for a second then thats it. $300 US is 215 Euros. I dont know how many pounds.

And I found out that the fretboard and bridge is not from a sustainable forest. But everything else is for sure. Sorry about my confusion. I wondered and went to check.

Ill leave the Makapili quiz open.

But Makapili is also a very special place on one of the Hawaiian Islands.

Over and Out,
THomas

Aloha Thomas, That Makapili is very nice but the shipping from Europe would kill me and bring the price up way beyond a KoAloha pineapple factory second which I can get locally. I'm surprised none of our Euro 'ukulele brothers have not shown interest yet. I'm sure you'll find a buyer much closer to home.

Aloha Thomas, That Makapili is very nice but the shipping from Europe would kill me and bring the price up way beyond a KoAloha pineapple factory second which I can get locally. I'm surprised none of our Euro 'ukulele brothers have not shown interest yet. I'm sure you'll find a buyer much closer to home.

No money!

It's 180 pounds, by the way.

Uncle, I dont think anyone is going to answer the quiz, and it has been plaguing my mind ever since. I know it was a guerilla group in the Phillipines that supported Japan after WW2. Was there another meaning too. besides the most special place in the world.

Take care,
Thomas

Filipinos who collaborated with the Japanese during Japanese occupation were known as Makapili. :mad:
My dad was with the American liberation forces and Filipinos wanted revenge against the Makapili so they would turn them in to the US Army most of the times alive.

Last edited:
Fabulous work, Thomas.

That is a beautiful sounding and looking instrument. You are highly skilled, Thomas.

What about the other pineapple you were selling? That's differently coloured on the fretboard. What's that one made of?

I might be interested if I can save up some money. (It's my birthday on 15 August you see!! Ha ha ha. :D)

Best wishes,
Anna

Hi Anna,
Thanks for the nice words about my ukuleles. I actually have two other pineapples right now. The fretboards on both of them are Acacia Confusa, the same as the bodys. However, one is a "new" insturment and is considerably more expensive than this one. The other one had an accident when I was building it. I cracked the headstock in half when I was shaping the neck. I am not planning on selling that one. It is fixed and I cant even see where it is cracked anymore, but I think I am just going to keep it for myself. I dont feel right selling an insturment that I know has had a pretty big repair.

These that I am considering "seconds" have obvious cosmetic flaws, in some cases many scratches on the soundboard, but nothing serious, and nothing that affects the structural integrity or sound of the insturment in any way. They still look pretty, but if you look close you can definitely see flaws in the finish.

Take care, and happy early birthday.

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom