A question on a certain type of crack/splinter

cocohonk

Reaction score
Hi! I have question about a breakage inside my uke, hope you can help me with it.

The uke in question is a new one that I've got for about 7 weeks, made of solid ohai wood. I found a breakage/splinter on the inside surface of just one of the top side panel - at about the 'waist' (bending out to the bottom) of the uke. It's a little less than the length of the depth of the uke, and basically there's a bit of wood on the surface that has splintered away, from the panel in a jagged teeth (^^^) pattern (kind of like when they bent the side panel into the shape of a uke, parts of it didn't bend as well).

The damage is all inside, and everything on the outside looks fine, and the sound/tone I don't think is affected by the damage (yet). Basically, I'm not sure if I should return it, get it fixed, fix it myself, or just leave it as it is, and others have suggested I should ask your expert opinion on the matter as luthiers.

Question:-

1. Should I be alarmed, or is this a really common thing in ukes, and I'm just nitpicking a perfectly fine uke? Or, is this a serious problem? If it's not one now, in time, would it crack more and become a serious problem if I don't tend to it? What would you do about this type of breakage if it was in your uke?

2. Is it an easy fix? Is it possible to just sand it down (a suggestion mentioned by another poster) oneself given a simple set of instruction ( I have no experience mending a ukulele, but I do have some experience on sanding down wood)? If it's not an easy fix, do you recommend getting it fixed professionally, or just return it?

Thanks again, and I'd appreciate any opinions on the matter.

Last edited:
Without seeing the instrument it is a little hard to say, but probably if it were mine, I would give it a shot of superglue in the crack and sand it down. This is a common thing to happen when bending sides, the person doing it went a little too fast and got some separation. It is probably OK structurely, and CA glue does a good job of penetrating the crack and stabilizing things. That said, if I'm bending a side and that happens, I throw it away and do another, I'm not selling an instrument like that. It boils down to if it really bothers you, send it back otherwise do the simple repair and live with it.

Brad

So, structurally, it's ok with the crack (or, as much as you think without actually seeing it)? That's good to hear.

I'll try and post some pictures later (but it's in a rather difficult position to take a photo of) to clarify it. But, I can kind of see how the glue would work on the crack I have. Would the glue affect the sound?

Are there any tricks to sanding down the inside of a uke, given that I would be sanding it from a rather awkward angle from the soundhole?

Oh, and is there a particular type/number of the sandpaper/sandpaper block that works the best for sanding down ukes?

Sorry about all the questions, and thanks again!

I do believe you are fine as far as the structure, the crack runs perpendicular to the grain and is not going to be stressed by humidity changes. For the initial repair use the water thin CA glue, and apply 2 or 3 drops at a time, then let dry. Repeat until crack is filled. Use 220 grit sand paper. Shape a piece of wood to allow you to reach inside and sand the cracked area. Use contact cement to glue the sandpaper to the sanding stick. Remember when sanding, the sides are thin, you are not trying to remove wood, just to level the splinters and glue. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Brad

Coco, This has happened to me a number of times while learning how to bend sides. So I feel confident that this crack at the waist took place in the bending process of the ukulele's sides at the time of the build. Why did it splinter? Could be many physical factors or simply an inexperienced worker new to bending sides. Perhaps, it was bent too fast. Or not enough or too little moisture was applied to the sides at the time of the bend. Difficult wood grain pattern is also suspect. But these physical conditions can all be dealt with by seasoned luither. The amazing talents of Chuck or Pete here on the forum would know for sure what happened, not me.

Bottom line, if you dab some Super Glue (thick grade) on the offending splintering, it might look a bit messing, but should strength to area...good luck and keep strumming...e.lo...

Thanks for giving some really helpful advice!

I still haven't decided if I'm returning it or keeping it (I'll be at the store at the end of the week, so I'll decide then what to do. I really enjoy my uke, but at the same time that crack annoys the hell out of me. Like you said, seems like it should never have been a problem to begin with, if they did a more thorough job at building it. Kind of makes me wish I never saw the darn splinter crack. :D), but at the very least, it does sound like it's a fixable problem, which eases my heart a bit, so I have lots to think about.

But, thank you all again for being so helpful, and if I do decide to keep it and fix it, I know where to ask for more specific instructions. Y'all rock! :music:

One further thought, if you elect to repair it yourself and as E-Lo suggests it winds up looking messy, it could be hard to sell down the road if you wish to. Keep in mind that most instruments wind up having several owners.

Brad

One further thought, if you elect to repair it yourself and as E-Lo suggests it winds up looking messy, it could be hard to sell down the road if you wish to. Keep in mind that most instruments wind up having several owners.

Brad

Good point, it's going to be a challenge to completely hide the repair without some thought. My suggestion was just a fast, easy, dirty, quick fix...e.lo...

Thanks for bringing this up! I haven't thought about the resell value at all. (given my location, reselling it down the road doesn't seem like an option.) I was swaying to keeping it, mostly because there aren't a lot of choices of ukes available for replacing at the store and that I do like the uke, but, now I'm not so sure. Hm.

Anyway, should I keep this uke, will I be better off not fixing it at all, if this type of crack isn't going to worsen, or actually attempting to fix it and risk it being messy? And, which option - leaving the crack or fixing it - is more optimal for resell value?

Thanks again!

I would still try and fix it as I first suggested. IF done correctly, the repair should make the crack less obvious. Also by using the thin CA glue, capillary action will draw the glue into the crack, thus stabilizing things in case the damage is more than thought. Again, go slowly, add glue a couple of drops at a time, don't flood things. Sand carefully and it should look better than before.

Brad

I agree with the CA, and a trick, as an alternative to sanding is taping a razor blade on both edges leaving just a little space in the middle and gently scraping away the leftover glue. Use scotch tape, about three thicknesses. Again, carefull, but I have fixed a few cracks like this.

Thanks for yet another viable option. I think I will try the sand paper first before holding something as sharp as a blade to my uke (which, sounds kind of nerve wracking. :D) should the sandpaper fail.

So, to recap, slowly little by little place CA glue on the splinter/crack. Let dry and then sand glue down carefully with the appropriate sandpaper instrument. If that doesn't clear up the glue, use a blade with scotch tape to scrape away the excess glue. Is that right?

Thanks for your help! It's really good to feel like I should be able to mend my own uke. :D

Thanks for yet another viable option. I think I will try the sand paper first before holding something as sharp as a blade to my uke (which, sounds kind of nerve wracking. :D) should the sandpaper fail.

So, to recap, slowly little by little place CA glue on the splinter/crack. Let dry and then sand glue down carefully with the appropriate sandpaper instrument. If that doesn't clear up the glue, use a blade with scotch tape to scrape away the excess glue. Is that right?

Thanks for your help! It's really good to feel like I should be able to mend my own uke. :D

good luck bro!

that's what I love about this forum, there's always someone who can help you!

Top Bottom