Ukulele Song of the Month!

cashew

Reaction score
Hey folks-- I was thinking about something fairly recently. I was perusing one of the other ukulele message boards a bit ago and I noticed that once a month, they all sit and pick a song, then everyone plays their own version of it.

It'd be cool to see how different people HERE (I've always equated this board as younger/hipper, ya know?)put their spin on a single song-- So, What I'm thinking is Ya'll suggest songs (one song per person I s'pose or the list can get huge) until lets say 7/25, I'll post them up in a big poll, and everyone votes on them until the end of the month. Last day of the month, the song with the highest amount of votes becomes the "Song of the Month".. and we'll all post up our version of the song :) And, we'll repeat as the month goes by.

All members are invited to join in and play along, no matter your skill level :nana:
Sounds interesting, no?

Ok, my song choice for the Month of August is:

Summer in the City by the Lovin' Spoonful (that song screams NYC at me.)

Ok, get your choices in, and we'll make this happen!

The Song list!

Summer in the City by the Lovin' Spoonful
Sublime - Eye of Fatima
Buckets of Rain - Bob Dylan
Under The Boardwalk
Summer Breeze by Seals & Croft
say it ain't so - weezer
The Night Before - The Beatles
The Beatles: A Day In The Life
troy fernandez: wahine `ilikea/waimanalo blues medley from Hawaiian Style `Ukulele
The Beatles: Girl
Redemption Song - Bob Marley
"Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones.
Beyond the Sea- whoever you fancy singing it
MJ - man in the mirror,
"lay down your weary tune" by dylan

Last edited:
Song o' the month

Sublime - Eye of Fatima

Awesome song easy and sounds good on uke

this is a great idea...i have no suggestion though...yet

Buckets of Rain - Bob Dylan

maybe also post a link to the tabs of the song?

maybe also post a link to the tabs of the song?

I'm gonna cast the executive decision that a link to the basic chords to the song will be more than fine.

Don't get me wrong, lets say the song end up being 'Gently Weeps'... I don't wanna see 15 yootoobs of Jake's version (which is beautiful in its own right, but is HIS, not yours), ya know? I wanna see people playing with it and making it theirs. Same goes for 'Whats the strum pattern'. When we do the videos OWN IT. MAKE IT YOURS. Ya know? Maybe your version will be the next big thing.
--Nut

Last edited:
Can I just say, Cashew, that this idea is genius! :worship:

How about Summer Breeze by Seals & Croft?

JJ

Wow-- these are some sweet songs so far-- lets see how many we get :) Remember folkies, you have only a few more days to put in your songs!

Sounds like a great idea, but for some us not familar with the songs, maybe having a link to the song and/or a tab might be helpful. Then make short list and vote at the end of each month. So we could be voting now for August???

Sounds like a great idea, but for some us not familar with the songs, maybe having a link to the song and/or a tab might be helpful. Then make short list and vote at the end of each month. So we could be voting now for August???

Ross,

We'll be placing songs into contention for the vote until the 25th... then, We'll be voting on the song that we all want to play until the last day of the month. A link to the general chords is allowed/encouraged, but everyone is encouraged to make the song their own.

Will audio-only contributions be okay?

Guys- only 3 more days to get your song's in before the poll-- :) We've got a lot of good suggestions so far :) (Am so excited!)

--Nut

It occurs to me that, the simpler the song, the more it lends itself to unique interpretations. Traditional songs. Folk songs. Americana-ish songs. That sort of thing.

So how about songs like "The Lonesome Road", or "You Are My Sunshine", or (for the two or three people who haven't covered it already) "Hallelujah".

Or any easy Bob Marley.

JJ

Last edited:
Top Bottom