Kamoa vs. Kala

i beleive the acacia kala is a solid, so that would be the better choice if the mohagany kamoa ur talking about is the on from the UU store because that one is laminate.

is acacia generally a higher quality wood than mahogany?

Nope; a lot of woods are different but about equal. Acacia is most often used as a substitute for koa, but there are some solid mahogany ukes that are extremely high quality. Whether or not it's solid wood probably makes more of a difference than what kind of wood it is. :3

I don't own either, but I know Mainands are solid wood. Plus I've heard nothing but great things about them. I was having the same dilemma, deciding which uke to purchase with my budget. I was looking at the Kala KA-ST (Spruce Top tenor) and a Mainland mahogany concert. Based on research and UU comments, they both have different sounds and one isn't "better" than the other. I'm sure you just want a clear answer to sway your decision, but unfortunately it's not that simple!:eek:

I've just set in my mind that I will need to decided on which uke I will purchase FIRST, because I do want both and eventually hope to have many more! :D

KAMOA
junglefowl_016.148211400_std.JPG

VERSUS

KALA
88410088.AVnyHIUA.jpg

Depends on what you/re hungry for- Surf or Turf :shaka:

Mahaghany in its solid form is one of the best tone woods. The old martins were made out of mahaghany. Koa is a pretty wood and it is rare and native to hawaii hence it's popularity. I own solid koa, solid mahaghany and and a blend of the two and I love all my ukes. They all sound different and I try to play them all but right now my koaloha gets top bill.

Top Bottom