Lanikai spruce Tenor...

Brewerpaul

Reaction score
I just got my Lanikai spruce top Tenor and couldn't be happier. My first Uke is a green flying V style cheapo which is fun, but doesn't really sound like much. It's main virtue right now is that Jake Shimabukuru autographed it a couple of weeks ago at a concert:bowdown:
After seeing Jake, I HAD to get a Tenor but didn't want to spend a lot of bucks. After a lot of online searching I bought the Lanikai ST online for a total of $158 on eBay, including a nice case, Aquila strings, chord book and free shipping. It arrived in like 3 days.
This thing is really beautiful! Appearance wise it looks a lot like my old Guild F-30 which I have owned since the '60s, with it's spruce top and mahogany back,sides and neck. The fit and finish is FLAWLESS. I'm a woodworker and really went over it with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. The tuners are individual, closed ones and look very well made and operate smoothly. The fret ends are nice and smooth. Intonation seems just fine all up and down the neck, and the action is very comfortable. I'm not good enough to really put it through it's paces yet but the sound sounds nice and clear with good volume.
Expensive instruments are fine and dandy, but I can't imagine that a prettier albeit more costly uke could make me happier. Check it out if you're in the market for a first tenor or a cheaper one for travel.

Top Bottom