Nice Powered Mixer for Ukuleles - Review

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
A while back I was asking for advice on a Powered Mixer. RicDoug pointed me toward the Carvin powered mixers. My problem is I am getting to old to lug around heavy gear. My old separate mixer, reverb, dual power amps set up weighed in at 55 for the top box and 25 for the bottom. 150 watts per channel per amp. 2 small mixers with 6 XLR input total. Kind of just happened, not very well thought out.

I went ahead and bought the CARVIN 8 Channel stereo XP880 mixer. I weighs only 20lbs and has 800 watts from 3 power amps (L/R and Monitor). It’s the only mixer I could find anywhere near the $469 price with a separate monitor amp and a 7 band EQ.

You can see it here: https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=XP880

You can carry it with one hand! I was playing on an outside stage Saturday facing a big field. I was running 2 12” speakers and one 10” monitor. I was able to fill the space without going past 7 (out of 10) on the volume control.

I’ve used it with 2 condenser mics (48V Phantom) and used it with standard mics with the ukes going through a pickup and DI box. I just thought I would pass it on to anyone that might be interested. It’s really a nice set up.

Nice to know. Thanks for the advice!

JJ

Nice review, Jimmy. Carvin builds superb gear. Was that the luau party ehre you were playing into a large field? Sound gets lost quickly outdoors. Nice to see that setup worked for your application. Adding another pair of speakers to your mains will almost double your coverage. Ric

Carvin makes good gear. We use their C1644P powered mixer for our bluegrass band.

Top Bottom