Funny ukulele experience

upskydowncloud

Reaction score
*the title for this thread was meant to be funny experience not experienced!*

Hey,

I thought I'd share an amusing ukulele-related story I experienced yesterday.

I live in the middle of London so use a scooter to get around. I was on my way to a ukulele lesson on my bike with my uke case sticking out my backpack. I was at the front of a queue of traffic when I noticed some random guy on another motorbike staring at me so I promptly ignored him (as you do in London cos' you never know who is crazy and who isn't). The lights turned green so I carried on and stopped at the next set of lights. The guy stopped next to me again, I saw him staring and looked over at him. He then proceeded to stop his bike, get off it and open the storage box underneath the seat. At this point I was worried and I thought I was going to be shot.

HOWEVER, he proceeded to open the storage compartment and pull out...a ukulele! It turns out he is getting lessons from my uke instructor too and was on the way to a music shop to buy a stand. We kept chatting at each traffic lights and it was really cool!

I told him about UU so James if you're reading this say hello!

John

That is funny. When ever I carry my uke on my Harley i get funny looks. Is he a burley biker guy or is he a sweet ukulele player?

In my day there was a fair bit of animosity between scooter riders and "real" bikers. Nice to see the uke spreading peace and brotherly love.

Not long ago I was in a supermarket, and I saw a young woman in front of me carrying a uke on her back. I accosted her with, "Hi, I see you are carrying a ukulele". She turned around, and it was someone I've known for some time, but hadn't recognised from the rear. We laughed about it, but the next time she met my wife she said, "Do you know your husband chats up strange women in the super market?"

I had a bit of explaining to do.

John Colter.

Travelling in London on a scooter's pretty bad ass, may I say.

That's a cool story. I maybe would have made my leave when he got off his bike, but you're a very trusting person apparently. Good to know :p

Ive always dreamed of living in hawaii and having a scooter. Oh a kid can dream.

Hi Caz. I was a "proper" biker, but didn't get involved in that Mods & Rockers stuff. I was too busy competing in race meetings.

John C.

I've never seen that much animosity but I do get the odd strange look from "proper" bikers sometimes. I have seen stickers on the back of some bigger bikes that say NO SCOOTERS and that sort of thing but I just ignoe it generally. My Dad has a Harley so I figure I'm part of both clubs...

I consider myself a "proper" biker, but at my age I am giving serious consideration to a scooter. I don't think of them as scooters - more like modern, sophisticated, feet-first, small wheeled motorcycles, with built-in carrying capability for my uke.

OK - scooters!

JC.

Top Bottom