PDA

View Full Version : Finallly the pictures of Koaloha's newest MASTERPIECE SERIES #3 THE JUKE-ALELE

MGM
07-19-2009, 10:54 AM
OKAY YOU SAW IT FIRST HERE IT IS

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=614290&id=1208975667&ref=nf

haolejohn
07-19-2009, 10:58 AM
OKAY YOU SAW IT FIRST HERE IT IS

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=614290&id=1208975667&ref=nf

Actually I saw it two weeks ago:) but I promised not to show it off. Now I can finally show it off. I also got to play it for about twenty minutes. I must say that it is one LOUD instrument.

From the link the one in Mike's left hand is the American version and the other one is the Hawaiian version.

Link
07-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Totally crazy looking ukulele.

dnewton2
07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
That is a very intersting ukulele. Where do they come up with something like that? Those guys at Koaloha are genius.

Bratset
07-19-2009, 11:06 AM
woow amazing!

haole
07-19-2009, 11:10 AM
....whoa! :eek::eek:

They look super-loud and I love the classy details. Can they stand up like Flukes? :D

Skottoman
07-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Wow. I'd like to see more pix of it! Still want me a Pineapple Sunday though!
:shaka:

UkeNukem
07-19-2009, 11:12 AM
That curved and stepped "cathedral" sound hole looks like some interesting woodwork. It's great that they are creating such works of art. :cheers:

itsme
07-19-2009, 11:32 AM
"You must log in to see this page."

Am I the only one here who doesn't have (and doesn't want) a facebook account? :(

sukie
07-19-2009, 11:37 AM

Am I the only one here who doesn't have (and doesn't want) a facebook account? :(

No, you aren't. I don't either.

wickedwahine11
07-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Hmm, I guess I'm alone in this, but it isn't my cup of tea. I definitely like the "Hawaiian" one better than the "American" one though. I guess I'm too boring or traditionalist in my uke preferences, though those Pineapple Sundays are cool...

Uncle-Taco
07-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Me too. :mad:

Uncle-Taco
07-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Okay, I saw it.

...ehh...

haolejohn
07-19-2009, 11:50 AM
When I was wisked away to a back room to a hidden stairwell forty feet below the surface to be shown this ukulele two weeks ago Papa KoAloha shared the story. Now I am no where near the story teller that he is but to summarize it...

The ukulele is slowly infilterating all genres of music in america and when one thinks of American music what is the ultimate symbol that will blend all music together? The juke box. It is old (rarely seen now-a-days) It is classic and it can contain all music. There is more to the story than that but that is a quick summary.

seeso
07-19-2009, 11:57 AM
For those who can't see it:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5595/67721210757068268120897.jpg

Ukulele JJ
07-19-2009, 11:57 AM

I don't have one of those FriendFace whatchamacallits either. :(

JJ

upskydowncloud
07-19-2009, 12:01 PM
For those who can't see it:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5595/67721210757068268120897.jpg

Most ridiculous thing I've ever seen!

Melissa82
07-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Lol, never mind someone just beat me to posting the pic... crazy looking

mrUKETOBER
07-19-2009, 12:05 PM
wow i like those :D id buy one if i wasnt broke lol

BrotherUke
07-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Absolutely beautiful workmanship but not on my must have list. Now the Pineapple Sundae... that's on my GOT TO HAVE list!

nikolo727
07-19-2009, 12:06 PM
its...its..... its beautiful...(tears up. lip quivers)

Jimmy
07-19-2009, 12:17 PM
That is sophistafunk.

"okay guys lets just come up with weird stuff now"

Dirka
07-19-2009, 12:19 PM
While I absolutely adore the classic KoAlohas, their signature models are just not my cup of tea. Same with the Juke-Uke, I think it looks a bit silly (and not in a good way). ;)

Hankthetank
07-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Very interesting. I am curious how much the Jukester will retail for and when they will be available.

Skottoman
07-19-2009, 12:51 PM
While I've been waiting to see what this model looked like... I pondered. What could they be making?!

Here's an idea for you KoAloha... What if you made a series of ukes shaped after the Hawaiian Islands?

Each could have a basic shape like that island. I know the exact shape would be too complicated, but then the sound hole could be an exact outline of the island...

I've already looked that the island shapes and can see where a headstock could be attached.

The Oahu, the Maui, the Kauai, etc...

Makes me wonder how the Maui would sound with a "secondary" resonance chamber... the headstock could come in over that part.

They would all sound different, look different, and be part of a complete series I'd love to own.

Making something like this would be "masterpiece" work for sure. Would be hard to do....

Cheers,
Skottoman

P.S. If you do this KoAloha, I would like the rights to one of the first models... :shaka:

Ahnko Honu
07-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I got to play it for a couple minutes at the 'ukulele festival today, awesome sound but my traditional tastes prevents me from loving it though I do like it. :shaka:

Lanark
07-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I do have to say that while I can certainly appreciate the ingenuity and extreme level of craftsmanship that it looks like went into the instruments and indeedy, the detail stuff is pretty insane, I don't think I'll be selling off my current Koalohas for a downpayment.

They do look quite stunning and I don't doubt that they play beautifully too. (I wouldn't expect anything less.) And I'm sure that it's going to make some collectors quite happy to own. They're definitely some crazy showpieces.

Somebody should let Warren Buffet know about them. It seems like something that he might want for his collection.

RevWill
07-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I like it a lot, but it doesn't have that je ne sais quoi that the Pineapple Sunday and the Sceptre have for me.

lisaxy424
07-19-2009, 02:27 PM
I VAHNT VON! :love:

dominicfoundthemooon
07-19-2009, 02:49 PM
i would have to say that i think that it looks amazing. while i would not buy one i can still see the hard work and art that papa and the fam put into the uke and i bet it does sound AMAZING! i am more of a classic uke shape guy.. but i love seeing all the stuff they come up with!! they are good people.. and GREAT ukulele makers.. PROPS for this new design!!!

and for those of you who got to go to the uke FEST.. i want to beat you up!! i am green all over!! looks like an amazing time!

d

haolejohn
07-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I like it a lot, but it doesn't have that je ne sais quoi that the Pineapple Sunday and the Sceptre have for me.

I agree with you revwill. It is more stunning in person but I didn't say I have to have one. Papa KoAloha used 7 different woods on this uke. When they post the full story behind this uke it will look better to everyone. The story makes it a wow instrument.

RON<>VA
07-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I am still trying to figure out where to insert the quarter to make it play??

nukealaily
07-19-2009, 02:57 PM
it would be a great busking instrument - looks wonderful

RevWill
07-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I agree with you revwill. It is more stunning in person but I didn't say I have to have one. Papa KoAloha used 7 different woods on this uke. When they post the full story behind this uke it will look better to everyone. The story makes it a wow instrument.

I would love to hear that story.

In fact it's KoAloha's religious symbolism that has me drooling over the Sceptre as much as its look.

deach
07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I want to eat MGM's shirt!

Ukeffect
07-19-2009, 03:15 PM
I want to eat MGM's shirt!

LOL! I didn't notice the shirt until you said something Deach...I wondered why I had a sushi craving @8 PM on a Sunday! Knowing good and well that all the sushi place are closed now! :p

specialmike
07-19-2009, 03:19 PM
whoa!!! That's really cool.:eek:

pamelamama
07-19-2009, 03:38 PM
super cool!!
hey, OT: I've been eyeing a uke on your ebay store and I showed the link to a friend and SHE bought it!!

wfwhitson
07-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Just because it is so diffrent, if I had the money to spare I think I would buy one. I like the Hawaiian model the best.:shaka:

experimentjon
07-19-2009, 03:58 PM
The uke itself is just "sorta-cool" for me. I like the idea, and the design is good, and it definitely sounded good today when I played it for like 30 seconds and I gave it back so it wouldn't spontaneously combust in my amatuer hands...leaving me with a $4000 bill.

BUT, Mike didn't mention the best part.

If he wasn't joking and you can really put flashing lights on it as a factory option, this uke would be awesome. Like wicked awesome.... It'd put headstock bling to shame.

OEM flashing bling FTW.

itsme
07-19-2009, 04:11 PM
...I played it for like 30 seconds and I gave it back so it wouldn't spontaneously combust in my amatuer hands...leaving me with a $4000 bill.
Four...grand, seriously? :eek:

I thought it looked cool and well made, but no way.

Most I've ever spent on an instrument was a used guitar for $2K when this particular luthier's offerings were going for $4K. Up to $6K now, so I think I got a pretty good deal, but I'm not in the business of buying, reselling or speculating. I only buy what I plan to play.

experimentjon
07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Four...grand, seriously? :eek:

I thought it looked cool and well made, but no way.

Most I've ever spent on an instrument was a used guitar for $2K when this particular luthier's offerings were going for $4K. Up to $6K now, so I think I got a pretty good deal, but I'm not in the business of buying, reselling or speculating. I only buy what I plan to play.

Well, that's MSRP, but I would not be surprised if people were be willing to pay full MSRP, especially for first crack at one. I think it's one of those ukes you can't fully appreciate in pictures, or even at a distance. And you need to pick it up and actually take a close look at the construction and the workmanship. Like honestly, from a distance, it looked cool, but pretty plain. It's one of those that needs to be experienced in person.

If I had the means, I would get one.

wfwhitson
07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
The uke itself is just "sorta-cool" for me. I like the idea, and the design is good, and it definitely sounded good today when I played it for like 30 seconds and I gave it back so it wouldn't spontaneously combust in my amatuer hands...leaving me with a $4000 bill.

BUT, Mike didn't mention the best part.

If he wasn't joking and you can really put flashing lights on it as a factory option, this uke would be awesome. Like wicked awesome.... It'd put headstock bling to shame.

OEM flashing bling FTW.
$4000.00:eek: That puts me out of the game.

Lights would be just too cool.

UkeNinja
07-19-2009, 04:53 PM
If it's just lights you want, try mr. Yoshimura from Audrey Lighting Ukulele (www.youtube.com/user/AUDREYLIGHTING). He will put any electronics into a uke and make it playable. Taste is a big issue here, but he definitely puts the PH back in funk.

As far as that Koaloha goes... is that what the new woman-friendly model???
:eek::eek::eek:

nikolo727
07-19-2009, 05:03 PM
If it's just lights you want, try mr. Yoshimura from Audrey Lighting Ukulele (www.youtube.com/user/AUDREYLIGHTING). He will put any electronics into a uke and make it playable. Taste is a big issue here, but he definitely puts the PH back in funk.

As far as that Koaloha goes... is that what the new woman-friendly model???
:eek::eek::eek:

ive seen some of his lighting work and imo its too much. if you want to like a uke just put on a nice gloss finish and play under fireworks or under a disco ball. you will have a nice and shiny uke reflecting all the lights! if your too cheap to gloss it up, use luthiers secret: packing tape. brings out da wood grain.

Spooner
07-19-2009, 05:08 PM
That's a really cool design and it looks like a juke box!
...and an ukulele!

The price...gotta pass.

I am very curious to hear more about it and get some sound clips!

**ahem...cough cough..MGM...cough...cough..*** :p

nikolo727
07-19-2009, 05:14 PM
That's a really cool design and it looks like a juke box!
...and an ukulele!

The price...gotta pass.

I am very curious to hear more about it and get some sound clips!

**ahem...cough cough..MGM...cough...cough..*** :p

what is wrong with me. I completely forgot that mgm has a camera so now I issue a request to the ukulele king!

O great and holy MGM, will you please let us bear witness to the sound of the O' holy jukebox ukulele, so we may drool at the sound of your amazing skills at playing such a ukulele?

MGM
07-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Sorry but o Holy MGM is following the real bosses request and relaxing the rest of the day at the Moana Hotel in a suite directly overlookng the beach..opps better go before she comes in......

Spooner
07-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry but o Holy MGM is following the real bosses request and relaxing the rest of the day at the Moana Hotel in a suite directly overlookng the beach..opps better go before she comes in......

Who's got it better than you? ;):shaka:

Have fun Mike!

UkeNinja
07-19-2009, 07:03 PM
ive seen some of his lighting work and imo its too much.
Yes of course it's too much. I have heard of people whose eyeballs started to bleed from watching those videos. I have seen the guy in a Darth Vader suit that says "I am not your father" in a bar in Tokyo. There are parts of this world that make you cry, because there is little other way to express the total chaos these projects cast upon the world.

But I think this Koaloha is too much as well and that's my carefully hidden point. But hey, it's art with a capital T. The regular crown headstock on the other hand is the King of Kool and doubles well as a spade for digging in the garden, and as a hacksaw if you are really in a pinch. I love it.

Kaneohe til the end
07-19-2009, 08:55 PM
one things for sure. it is hella fun to play.
and hopefully all of us at the shop get one like when the sceptre came out.:D:D:D

Ahnko Honu
07-19-2009, 11:14 PM

That's funny, wife and me drove by the Moana on the way to the festival and were awestruck by the old Moana's majestic beauty (for the umpteenth time) and were wonder what kama'aina rates are for a suite not that we could afford a night there. Have fun!

haolejohn
07-20-2009, 02:00 AM
I would love to hear that story.

In fact it's KoAloha's religious symbolism that has me drooling over the Sceptre as much as its look.
When you hear the full story about this uke you will drool as well.

buddhuu
07-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Clever design, but I'm afraid it doesn't do it for me, personally.

pithaya9
07-20-2009, 05:38 AM

No want, no need for a Facebook account. I got a UU account!

GX9901
07-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Hmm...not sure how I feel about the Juke-ulele. I'm sure it plays and sounds great and has outstanding workmanship, but for me the design has crossed over into novelty territory. I liked the Sceptre design but it was pretty close to being a novelty uke to me. This one is just a bit too "out-there" for me to seriously consider buying (not to mention the hefty pricetag). Well, maybe if I ever get one in my hands I might change my mind, but I'm not feeling it from the pictures. Actually, I'm glad that I'm not feeling it. That keeps my UAS in remission. :D

Raygf
07-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Hmm...not sure how I feel about the Juke-ulele. I'm sure it plays and sounds great and has outstanding workmanship, but for me the design has crossed over into novelty territory. I liked the Sceptre design but it was pretty close to being a novelty uke to me. This one is just a bit too "out-there" for me to seriously consider buying (not to mention the hefty pricetag). Well, maybe if I ever get one in my hands I might change my mind, but I'm not feeling it from the pictures. Actually, I'm glad that I'm not feeling it. That keeps my UAS in remission. :D

:eek: UAS in remission???? :eek:

I didn't think that was possible. Oh, sorry, you were speaking about "your UAS". If you really do figure out how to put it in remission, don't spread it around, or a least not in this direction. :D The Juke-ulele does not aggravate my UAS, but a nice KoAloha pineapple . . . soon, very soon.

Regards,
Ray

gotrice415510
07-20-2009, 10:09 PM
ive got to say im pretty dissapointed.... that thing is just way to much of a novelty. Dont get me wrong, I love koaloha ive been saving up for a long time so that i can get one. But this is just....ehh

uke4chris
07-21-2009, 04:20 AM
For the price I would much rather one of Paul's custom ukes.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-21-2009, 04:39 AM
like a jukebox tbh..

molokinirum
07-21-2009, 05:40 AM
No, I do not have nor do I want a face book account.:mad:

molokinirum
07-21-2009, 05:55 AM
I saw the posted pics and like some others it is not my cup of tea. In addition, the price is way way out there but the look is not for me, sorry. However, the Pineapple Sundae is awesome!!!