PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to tell which tuning your strings are for?

FictitiousSpoon
07-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey,

A while back I bought a Pono Mahogany soprano and for the longest time I just tuned it gCEA (I've just got the strings that were on it when I got it) and now I'm starting to wonder whether that is correct for the strings as they are quite slack, as well is there any difference in the Ukulele itself as to whether it is meant to be tuned to any specific tuning?

Thanks

ukantor
07-19-2009, 12:49 PM
A soprano is sure to come with strings for re-entrant tuning (high 'G'). The same strings would be used whether you choose to tune it gCEA or aDF#B, so you've got it right.

The only difference in the uke itself between high G and low G, would be that the low G string is much thicker, so would require a wider slot in the nut.

Oh, and if there is any differential compensation built in to your saddle, that too would be different, but that's fairly rare.

Ukantor.

itsme
07-19-2009, 01:29 PM
A while back I bought a Pono Mahogany soprano and for the longest time I just tuned it gCEA (I've just got the strings that were on it when I got it) and now I'm starting to wonder whether that is correct for the strings as they are quite slack...
You didn't say exactly how long you've had the uke or what brand of strings came on it, but if the strings are going "slack" on you, it's probably time to change them.

ukantor
07-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I agree with itsme - try some Worth Brown Mediums. All my mahogany sopranos LOVE those strings.

Ukantor.

FictitiousSpoon
07-19-2009, 08:58 PM
You didn't say exactly how long you've had the uke or what brand of strings came on it, but if the strings are going "slack" on you, it's probably time to change them.
No they haven't gone slack they've always been slack anyway I've had it for almost a year now but I haven't played it much since I got my mango tenor, strings are Ko'olau, but yeah I now I should prolly replace them soon.

fleadermaus
07-20-2009, 08:23 AM
The strings on a soprano will generally have much less tension than those on a tenor. So it could be that you've just become accustomed to your tenor's strings and feel weird switching between the two sizes.