replacing a plastic fretboard

vahn

Reaction score
I just bought a Roy smeck harmony uke on ebay. I was wondering how feasable it would be to change out the plastic fretboard. It looks like it is just screwed on. Where would I be able to get a replacement? Would a luthier be able to make one for me, and if so what would be the approximate cost.

Not sure if it will be worth it cost wise to replace but I would think that with that aged solid mahogany it might sound good.

I was looking for something fretted, and shaped in the typical soprano fretboard fashion

You could try the Stew-Mac website or buy one of those inexpensive uke kits and just use the fretboard? Getting a new one from a luthier will probably cost more than your ukulele is worth.
The suggestion by LazyRiver is not so bad either, you could use your Swiss army knife to hammer in the fret wire, saw it off with the saw part, then get out the nailfile to dress the frets.

I've had my Roy Smeck 'ukulele for over 10 years and at one time I was considering doing the same thing replacing plastic with wood. Then one day I watched Roy Smeck doing his magic on his 'ukulele on YouTube and I decided I'd keep this 'ukulele the way it left the factory in homage to a great 'ukulele artist. Every year these old 'ukulele get more rare so leaving it alone can only preserve any increasing value. The plastic fretboards have become much easier to accept since the advent of FLUKES and FLEAS. Just my 2 cents on the matter. ;)

I'd leave it original if it still plays well. These things are only original once.

Replacement fret boards are tricky because scale lengths are so different from maker to maker. Even if a company lists the scale length on the instrument specs....it might not be true!!
Measure from the nut to the middle of the 12th fret. Then double it to get the scale length. If you can find a matching fretboard, you still might have a thickness problem with it.

Top Bottom