Can I use Guitar chromatic tuner to tune my uke?

Because in my country (Thailand), There is no uke shop around here. So, I can buy a guitar chromatic tuner and use it for my uke.

And how can I use it.. because guitar tuner is in E, B, G, D, A, E ????

Which string of uke has the same sound as guitar?

Last edited:
Zata, if your uke is WAY out of tune, you might try google searching online ukulele tuners and use one to get it somewhere close, just to make sure you're in the right octave.

Then use the chromatic tuner and the tuner will tell you what note you have played and whether to tune up or down. A few times and you'll be a pro.

I use an eNote chromatic tuner to tune both my guitar and my ukulele. It works great.

Some tuners won't recognize the C string because a guitar does not have one... in that case, tune it until it says you have the B string tuned as sharp as possible

Chromatic tuners by design will recognize all notes, not just the six notes associated with guitar tuning.

Because in my country (Thailand), There is no uke shop around here. So, I can buy a guitar chromatic tuner and use it for my uke.

And how can I use it.. because guitar tuner is in E, B, G, D, A, E ????

Which string of uke has the same sound as guitar?

As some have already stated, a chromatic tuner should recognize any note, not just the six for guitar.

Can you show us the tuner you're using, or tell us the model?

Chromatic tuners by design will recognize all notes, not just the six notes associated with guitar tuning.

As some have already stated, a chromatic tuner should recognize any note, not just the six for guitar.

Apologies in advance for being annoyingly pedantic here, but... a normal chromatic tuner should recognize all notes of the well-tempered chromatic scale. For most instruments, playing most "western" music, that should be plenty fine.

But there are, of course, other ways to divide an octave into any number of various pitches. A chromatic tuner would be less useful to a gamelan, or for tuning a piano to just intonation. (Although I suppose you might be able to adjust the A=440 setting appropriately for each note, as a work-around.)

JJ

To be fair, though, in the context of this thread nobody's talking about tuning a gamelan or a piano; just using a guitar tuner on a uke.

All other things being equal at Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP), a regulation tournament type official size and weight chromatic tuner should tune an ukulele quite accurately.

If it's a chromatic tuner (guitar or otherwise), yes.

Top Bottom