Help tuning my new 6 string Uke

Howie1947

Reaction score
Have inteli tuner and can not seem to figure out the tuning, can anyone help. It is high G tuning............Thanks

Are some of the strings doubled octave pairs? Don't try to pluck both at once, it'll drive the tuner nuts.

I'm not quite sure about the octave part. Where is the A Octive on the tuner and where is the C Octave too?

Some brands of tuners (Intellituners didn't work well for me) have troubles with some ranges outside the normal guitar range. If you can get the low string of the pair tuned, you can fret it at the 12th fret and match the high string of the pair to that.

I have used differenrt tuners and I tune my 6 string the same way. It is just g c e a. The paired strings I tune one at a time but they both register c or a on my tuner. The string's dimension automatically take care of the octave part.

So basically you should tune it g c c e a a.

If that doesn't help I'll try to get a video up tuning my 6 string for you.

Last edited:
They should work just fine

The tuning for a 6 can be

Gcceeaa
GcCeeaa
gcceeaa
gcCeeaa

If your doubled C has a thin and a thick string then it goes low C/ High C.
You mentions its High G so it must be

GcCeeaa
or
Gcceeaa

If your specific tuner will not recognize the string play a harmonic on the 12th they tend to pick those up better.

The octaved strings are usually C and A. Another string option is g Cc E AA. Never had any problems tuning with a clip on. The 12th fret harmonic work well.

Top Bottom