Cigar Box Dimensions

LazyRiver

Reaction score
I'm hoping to try my hand at building a simple cigar box uke. I've looked at a number of how-to's on the web and it seems that genearlly I need a box at 9 x 6 x 2-1/2. This is hard to find. There are plenty of 8-inch boxes, or 9-inch bixes that are only 2 inches high.

My questions:

1. If I have to "cheat" on the dimensions, which one or ones can I cheat on? One source indicates an 8-inch long box is OK.

2. If I use a shorter box (ie, 8"), the measured distance from 12th fret to bridge on my two concert ukes is about 7-1/2 inches. That would put the bridge at the edge of box, which would be counter to the need to build resonance in the sounding board. Is it OK to mount the neck at a higher fret, thus moving the bridge inward? Perhaps the neck in this case should run all the way through the body to avoid a questionable neck/body joint where the fretboard meets the body.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
-- Al

Two inches is a perfectly acceptable depth. The boxes I have used were 1 7/8" deep, and they sound great.

For a soprano, 9 1/2 inches long is about ideal, for a neck that joins at the twelfth fret. For a concert joining at the twelfth you would need a box about 10 1/2" long. You can use a shorter box, but if you are using an existing neck, designed to join at the 12th fret, then you would have to insert an extension to the neck to put the bridge in a better position. Some concert ukes have the neck joint at the 14th fret, which would help.

I recommend "La Paz, Gran Corona" boxes. They are 10 3/4" x 6 7/8" x 1 7/8" and are made of good quality, solid wood, only 1/8" thick. Ideal for a concert size. It is a European brand made in Holland.

John Colter, (Ukantor)

Check your Private Messages, Al. I might be able to help a bit more.

John.

i am wanting to build a cigar box uke!!! can someone throw out some links to help me out

Top Bottom