Veneer for Building?

Sayyadina

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I am trying to build my first Uke from scratch and have some difficulties finding the right kind of wood. I have been talking to several carpenters on the phone and most of them try to sell me some kind of veneer (2mm thick) as top and back.
The thickness is ok, but I am not sure if veneer is suitable for building instruments. From all I have read I know that wood for musical instruments has to be dried for a very long time and I am not sure if common veneer fulfills this requirement.
Has anyone of you tried to build a uke out of veneer or do you all resaw and thickness sand your wood yourself?
What do I have to watch out for when buying wood for building a uke? Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thank you!

I'd advise against asking carpenters and get in touch with instrument builders instead.

If you want the real stuff, check out

www.stewmac.com
www.lmii.com

Hey Guys. I am trying to build my first Uke from scratch and have some difficulties finding the right kind of wood. I have been talking to several carpenters on the phone and most of them try to sell me some kind of veneer (2mm thick) as top and back.
The thickness is ok, but I am not sure if veneer is suitable for building instruments. From all I have read I know that wood for musical instruments has to be dried for a very long time and I am not sure if common veneer fulfills this requirement.
Has anyone of you tried to build a uke out of veneer or do you all resaw and thickness sand your wood yourself?
What do I have to watch out for when buying wood for building a uke? Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thank you!
I've used 2.5mm Ebony and Rosewood veneer for fret boards with no problems..If I could get some Mahogany veneer at 2mm.. I would give it a try..it maybe ok or maybe not ..You've got to "suck it and see"..If it turns out crap..Then you've learned something.

Veneer is NOT good because of the way it is 'made'. Unless you are lucky to get some 19th century 'saw-cut' veneer you will be buying wood that had been 'sliced' from a billet. This process stresses the micro structure of the wood as it slices and therefore you have no structural intergity in the veneer leaves. You want wood - but from a luthiers' suppliers or from me - I have some nice stuff - mahogany and koa as well as cherry, London plane.... and I live in the UK so shipping is not an issue.

Top Bottom