Moderators in action

John Colter

It ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm a fairly recent contributor to this forum, having been a regular on Ukulele Cosmos & its predecessor; Uketalk; and Fourth Peg. I'm unfamiliar with the use of moderators, and it seems to me that just when things are getting interesting, i.e. controversial, they often get nipped in the bud. Are we afraid of controversy, or the robust exchange of ideas and opinions? I can understand that many people may find it boring, or unpleasant, but why not just move a thread, if it develops that way, to a "sin bin", and let the adversaries slug it out? It would be a bit like cage fighting. Most entertaining.

On the other hand, it must be great to have the power to think, "Oh, what fools these mortals be", and just pull the plug.

I guess I'll just have to try to be a nicer person.

John Colter (Ukantor)

I'm a fairly recent contributor to this forum, having been a regular on Ukulele Cosmos & its predecessor; Uketalk; and Fourth Peg. I'm unfamiliar with the use of moderators, and it seems to me that just when things are getting interesting, i.e. controversial, they often get nipped in the bud. Are we afraid of controversy, or the robust exchange of ideas and opinions? I can understand that many people may find it boring, or unpleasant, but why not just move a thread, if it develops that way, to a "sin bin", and let the adversaries slug it out? It would be a bit like cage fighting. Most entertaining.

On the other hand, it must be great to have the power to think, "Oh, what fools these mortals be", and just pull the plug.

John Colter (Ukantor)

Think about two things.

1) A forum is somebody else's house. They took the time to build it, they do the work to keep it up, and then they're nice enough to open the doors and let other people come hang out in it, without requiring them to do anything other than show up and behave respectfully. If you invited people to a party at your house, would you want them to think it was okay to "slug it out," or would you assume they had enough maturity and class to know that your house is not the place for such behavior (unless cage matches are a regular thing at your house).

2) Every day is somebody's first day here. You may have been here a month or a year, but it's a sure bet that somebody just found this place today. Is a vitriolic slugfest the first thing you want them to see - at a forum that is supposed to be about ukuleles? Think about that - whatever you're posting at any given time may be the first thing a newcomer sees. You can't undo a first impression.

Finally, there really is absolutely NO shortage of places where you can get ugly with other people on the web. Does UU really need to be one of them? I sure don't think so, and I don't think our moderators do, either.

Moderating is a thankless task. But it's an utterly necessary task for a forum with as good a heart as this one has. I think the moderators here do an amazing job, and I offer them my thanks and my congratulations. :shaka:

Last edited:
99% of the time a topic is cut off due to controversy, it's because it's drifted so far off topic and gotten to the point of condescending attacks rather than because someone has the nerve to express an unpopular opinion. Disagreement is healthy until it gets personal and irrelevant to the original subject.

The mods here aren't fascists who want to suppress free thought, and the members generally don't whine to have topics closed at the drop of a hat. Some folks just need to remember that regardless of the subforum, you're still at an ukulele forum. In the grand scheme of things, is it really worth ripping into someone on an ukulele forum? :confused: The goal of the moderators is to keep the atmosphere friendly and the threads pretty much on topic, and when something's out of line, it's up to them to fix it. Most internet forums are in fact not democracies, and you're subject to the rules and the mods. By signing up, you're essentially acknowledging that there isn't a whole lot you can do about that.

If you'd like to see a place where perpetual duelists duke it out, check elsewhere on the internet. This here's Ukulele Underground. :eek:

Last edited:
Finally, there really is absolutely NO shortage of places where you can get ugly with other people on the web. Does UU really need to be one of them? I sure don't think so, and I don't think our moderators do, either.

Moderating is a thankless task. But it's an utterly necessary task for a forum with as good a heart as this one has. I think the moderators here do an amazing job, and I offer them my thanks and my congratulations. :shaka:

Quoted for truth

I find it quite refreshing how positive and supportive everyone is around here, and do not wish to see or take part in much controversy.. we're talking about ukuleles for crying out loud. I think the mods do an incredible job of keeping this place peaceful and amicable. I am a member of only one other internet board, and let me tell you, the negative energy there and outright disrespect for other members is just mindblowing. I won't say what the site is, but it's crazy how ugly things can get in a hurry. So, thanks mods for keeping this place a safe haven from negative vibes and providing such a welcoming environment.

don't forget that if you really need to continue on with a person about something you think might get deleted, then just do it in private messages.

[...]A forum is somebody else's house[...]

This says it all for me.

If the house you are visiting allows wrestling then wrestle to your heart's content. If, on the other hand, the family you are visiting prefers conversation, then it is polite to respect that preference, and to refrain from brawling on the carpet.

I haven't been here that long, but I think the mods do a great job. I'm glad we don't have to see people being nasty to each other, not that the UU peeps are really like that anyway.

I've also visited that other UK-based forum, and I must say, truthfully I did think some of the posts were a little rude, and one thread in particular was very condescending about beginners. I rarely go over there now. (I just spend every waking hour on here :D)

In my very humble opinion, I've found UU much friendlier and more welcoming.

Dear AnnaUK,

You speak the truth. It's great here with very little nastiness. I also spend way too much time here, but it's because almost everyone is super-duper.:)

It's all about positive energy and UU has it...We don't need negative energy around here...That's all I have to say about it...:D

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, and rather eloquently, I might add.

We moderators aren't perfect, though, so if you have a specific issue with how we conduct ourselves, feel free to send any one of us a PM.

It's all about positive energy and UU has it...We don't need negative energy around here...That's all I have to say about it...:D

Totally agree. I think the Mods have it just right. I love hanging out here for the positive vibe. It's so consistent with the music and the Hawaiian spirit. Please keep doin' what your doin'!

John Colter (Ukantor)

These 2 lines kind of sums it up.

Just when I thought it was safe to come out of Lake Lurk, I see a mod slinging mud. Think I'll tread water a little more and try again some other time.

Oscar baby, come to mama, we need some quality time!

Just when I thought it was safe to come out of Lake Lurk, I see a mod slinging mud. Think I'll tread water a little more and try again some other time.

Oscar baby, come to mama, we need some quality time!

Was I slinging mud? :confused:

I think so and I loved it. Also I think it was quite deserved.

If PattyD was talking about my post in the Tanizaki thread, I feel bad about it. I apologized.

I read what people are saying, and I understand and respect your views. I'm happy with the status quo. I guess I'm just naturally a bit combative, but I can curb my natural tendencies.

To quote the great Richard Starkey, "Peace & Love - Peace & Love"

John Colter (Ukantor).

Top Bottom