Does this make sense?

noah_clinnson

Reaction score
I'm relatively new and for some time I've been trying to figure out some sort of way to play chords such as D/B.

My first problem is I have no idea what that means, is it some obscure fusion of the D and B chords, if someone could enlighten me that would be awesome.

Secondly, I ended up looking up the guitar chord D/B, seeing the notes were B F# A D and F# I translated that onto my uke as 4220, and it sort of works for the song I'm working on.

so.... does this make sense?

D/B would be a D chord with a B as the bass note. Given that the uke doesn't really have bass notes you can get by with just a D.

Also, 2222 has the same notes in play as 4220.

If I'm not mistaken, and I often am, Howlin' Hobbit has a really interesting PDF of some music theory, and explains this in a fair amount of detail-- I can't seem to find it at the moment (kinda dashing about to get ready for work) but I think with a forum search, you can find it.

hth,
Nut

The first note is the actual chord; the second note is the bass note for the chord (this is done when that note is something other than the root of the chord). That kind of chord is used on pianos and guitars a lot, but on a uke with conventional high G tuning, it's often not convenient to choose what the bass note of your chord will be.

So in this instance you could just play a D chord that has a B in it somewhere (also known as a D6). The easiest position would be 2222.

UU helpfulness in action. I love it. :shaka:

If I'm not mistaken, and I often am, Howlin' Hobbit has a really interesting PDF of some music theory, and explains this in a fair amount of detail-- I can't seem to find it at the moment (kinda dashing about to get ready for work) but I think with a forum search, you can find it.

hth,
Nut
It's called "Cheater Theory" and can be downloaded here.

Thanks Kanaka for that link. I checked it out and it has a ton of very helpful information.:):)

Top Bottom