Mic Recommendation for Garage Band

BrotherUke

Reaction score
I've done a search but no luck on this. I'd like to get a mic to record my uke on Garage Band. I currently plug my electric guitar directly to my Mac with great results. I've been debating getting a Fluke with a pickup but the consensus here is that a mic would be best. I also like the versatility of recording multiple instruments as well.

Can anyone recommend a good mic to use with a Mac? Also I need to know if your recommendation requires a pre-amp and if there is any advantage to a USB connection. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Zoom H2 works very well with garageband. Just plug´n play. Plus it is portable, so you can change your recording environment easily.

I use a Shure SM58 plugged into an M-Audio MobilePre USB pre-amp. Not sure if it's the cheapest solution, but it's not expensive either. I've been really pleased with the results.

The MobilePre has two inputs, so you can record two tracks at a time.

As an audio engineer for the past 20 years, here's what I use.

If you want to go stereo, which gives a nicer sound, Audio Technica makes some nice (affordable) stereo mics. I use one with a digidesign M-box and ProTools.

The M-box is the USB/Firewire plug in, and the mic is standard XLR connector.

Stereo is always better. Plus you can angle the mic to pick up voice and uke separately then pan the tracks together a bit. You can also use just one track if you insist on mono. Lots of options... :D
Cheers,
Skottoman

Last edited:
The Shure SM58 is kind of the standard dynamic vocal mic
The Shure SM57 is the standard all-purpose dynamic mic. Great for vocals, acoustic instruments, amplifiers, you name it.

Condenser mics can pick up lots of background noise, so be prepared for recordings with great clarity and nuance but you may also hear the AC kicking on or a car driving past your house in the recording.

Dynamic mics will pick up your instrument, but the recorded sound will change if you shift positions during the recording. But a properly miked instrument will sound excellent with little to no background noise.

Both types have advantages and disadvantages.

can someone talk about the snowball usb mic here.. wold that be a good choice.. i am looking into getting one..

I'll talk about it! :D

It's a great choice, especially for the money. Plugs right in. Works great. Sounds fine. Portable. Looks cool.

$87 on Amazon right now. Get one. :cool:

JJ

The Shure SM58 is kind of the standard dynamic vocal mic
The Shure SM57 is the standard all-purpose dynamic mic. Great for vocals, acoustic instruments, amplifiers, you name it.

Rev,
Seeso runs his 58 through a pre-amp. Does the 57 need one as well?

I use a Shure SM58 plugged into an M-Audio MobilePre USB pre-amp. Not sure if it's the cheapest solution, but it's not expensive either. I've been really pleased with the results.

The MobilePre has two inputs, so you can record two tracks at a time.

Do you use two mics at once? I have a similar setup (SM58 and a cheaper M-Audio FastTrack with one input), but when I use it, the sound isn't any better than using the built-in mic so that's usually what I end up using. :( Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, since your sound is a lot better. Although, it could just be my playing and singing that are inferior too!

I'll talk about it! :D

It's a great choice, especially for the money. Plugs right in. Works great. Sounds fine. Portable. Looks cool.

$87 on Amazon right now. Get one. :cool:

JJ

This mic is getting my attention. It had some issues when it first came out but since the firmware update it's gets great reviews.

Do you use two mics at once? I have a similar setup (SM58 and a cheaper M-Audio FastTrack with one input), but when I use it, the sound isn't any better than using the built-in mic so that's usually what I end up using. :( Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, since your sound is a lot better. Although, it could just be my playing and singing that are inferior too!

Are you absolutely positive your computer is reading the M-Audio mic input, and not still using the computer built in mic?

I've seen people do this, plug in all the good stuff, and then not switch the computer to "see" the good stuff. So they get a recording using the built in, that they think was from the USB mic/preamp.

Just something to check...
Cheers,
Skottoman

Snowball

I'm not a Mac user, so I can't comment on GarageBand, but I've got a Snowball, which I use with Audacity, and it's brilliant. I'd recommend it to anyone. So easy to use. I've used it to record ukes, acoustic guitars, vocals and a mandolin and it all sounds great (the mic, not my playing LOL).

A great piece of kit :)

I'm not a Mac user, so I can't comment on GarageBand, but I've got a Snowball, which I use with Audacity, and it's brilliant. I'd recommend it to anyone. So easy to use. I've used it to record ukes, acoustic guitars, vocals and a mandolin and it all sounds great (the mic, not my playing LOL).

A great piece of kit :)

This is my exact experience.

Rev,
Seeso runs his 58 through a pre-amp. Does the 57 need one as well?

Yeah, the 57 needs a pre-amp.

I do use two mics at once, sometimes. I don't know what could be wrong with your set-up, I'm sorry.

using one of the m-audio interfaces with a macbook and a sm57 or 58, you can basically turn up the gain on the interface and the mics will pick up everything just like with a condenser mic. ive recorded in my closet (no jokes) with the mic basically hanging over me and playing acoustic. actually sounded better that way with the 58 than using it with my MXL condenser mic. and a lot easier to set up too.

Haole,

I'm with Skottoman on this. It sounds like your mic hasn't been changed over to the external setup. Garage Band Menu>Preferences>Audio/Midi>Audio Input. If this is still on Built In Microphone, that's your problem.

Top Bottom