scratched fingernails

sophie358

Reaction score
I've been playing uke for about 2 months now and i've found that my index fingernail is really scratched and damaged from strumming. Is this normal or am i strumming with the wrong part of my finger? (Sorry this is probably a really stupid question)

I got this, it works really well. It doesn't leave a thick nail polish coating to it and doesn't chip off.

2620_1.jpg

http://www.sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=115

not a stupid question at all, in fact, consider yourself lucky it's only scratches.. the corner of my nail is always worn down considerably and often blood-blistered. i need to try nail hardener too.. i've also gathered that trimming the nail by file, rather than clipping, will help maintain its strength.

I have the same problem. Thanks Melissa, I'm gonna try that Sally Hansen strengthener.

Wow, now I question whether I'm doing something wrong my fingernail is perfectly fine :p Though my tenor cuts up the underside of my finger as it has rather sharp fret ends (I'm slowly dulling them with my flesh :p)

Wow, now I question whether I'm doing something wrong my fingernail is perfectly fine :p Though my tenor cuts up the underside of my finger as it has rather sharp fret ends (I'm slowly dulling them with my flesh :p)
You should get some nice callouses out of it. Also it might be the strings and not the frets and if so you could consider switching to a string that's easier on your hands (if you're not using pure nylon already). I'd say just tough it out though.

Top Bottom