Hawaiian songs?

ukulelearp

Reaction score
Hi,

Most of the music I play is just ukulele versions of well known songs, like the Beatles. But lately I've been more interested in some more traditional sounding songs. The problem is, I don't really know where to look or what to learn. Does anyone have any suggestions?

For starters . . . Tropical Storm Hawaii for Contemporary and Traditional Hawaiian. If you're not familiar with the tunes, a good number can be found on YT.

Hawaiian songs to the rescue

I have a great answer to your quest for Hawaiian songs, ie. the following great series that comes with cds which are actually very well played and sung:

Please google: Hawaiian Style 'Ukulele vol. 1 put out by Uketree Records

or google Pua Pua which is a store in Waikiki that will ship it to you. I am currently studying all three volumes. Lots of good songs. You'll say mahalo.

I have a great answer to your quest for Hawaiian songs, ie. the following great series that comes with cds which are actually very well played and sung:

Please google: Hawaiian Style 'Ukulele vol. 1 put out by Uketree Records

or google Pua Pua which is a store in Waikiki that will ship it to you. I am currently studying all three volumes. Lots of good songs. You'll say mahalo.

I have Vols 1 and 2, they're pretty good, in fact I just ordered Vol 3 the other day! So yeah, I second that recommendation. Elderly.com sells 'em.

vol. three

Volume three is just as good as the others and has one of Hawaii's most beautiful songs: Pua Olena.

Those books are great. Large print, easy to read chords and words while playing ukulele. The CD will give you the all-important melody and phrasing of the lyrics as well as the strum. I actually stumbled upon those books in Kauai a couple of years ago because I wanted to learn some of the songs I already had on other CDs (such as Mahela - My Heart which we love http://www.hawaiianmusicstore.com/cds/cd583.html) and these books had many of the songs in there. I use them all the time, I am trying to fully memorize the lyrics to traditional Hawaiian tunes.

For some reason, I'm under the impression that the "Hawai'ian Style..." books are written for low-G ukes. Is that true? Is it worth getting if you're a high-G'er?

JJ

Thanks guys, those were helpful. IF anyone has anything else, please post it!

Top Bottom