Left-hand thumb posture

Reaction score
I've been holding my left hand thumb relatively straight/slightly tilted so top of the "inside" of the thumb (opposite the thumbnail) is against the neck, but when I fret certain chords (like Bb7 or Em if I fret it 2344) the pressure bends my thumb outward (the wrong way) a significant amount and its fairly uncomfortable. I probably am applying to much pressure but it seems like that is how hard I need to be fretting it to bar first fret without it muting any strings.

I find if I keep my thumb bent 90 degrees-in so just the tip of the thumb is against the neck it lets me apply the pressure I need to bar first fret but I feel like I'm making a claw-hand and it doesn't feel as comfortable/easy as trying to use the meaty/inside part of my thumb, but when my thumb bends that far it tends to feel uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so of playing, and I feel like it might be bending further each day just making things worse.

Last edited:
Felt the same issue a bit too, but it have become increasingly better, since I got more used to playing the chords I learn to relax my thump.
Just try focusing on relaxing it, not squeezing it too hard

Top Bottom