Lavalier Mic Amplifying Solution

Chexjc

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was sitting around earlier tonight thinking how I couldn't bring myself to purchase a passive pickup for my uke - one that would run me $40+ and sound mediocre at best...when a brilliant idea came to me. Being the video production student that I am, I've got tons of microphones laying around. I clipped a lavalier mic to the sound hole and positioned the microphone just below the strings.

I know this isn't a new concept - I've seen soundhole mics, but WOW it sounds amazing! I've yet to test it out on a PA (hopefully feedback won't be too much of a problem), but it sounds great as a recording mechanism.

To test it out, I ran my lav into Garageband with a hint of reverb and recorded a song real quick. What do you guys think of the quality?

Daisy Bell

Anyway, just thought I'd share because I'm super excited :).

-Jason

Before Circuit City shutdown I found some lavs on closeout for $14. I went to the hardware store and got some plastic caps designed to cover the end of bolts that fit over the clip for to protect the uke. These have worked nicely, but I get a much cleaner and present sound from an undersaddle pickup strip.

Hey guys,

To test it out, I ran my lav into Garageband with a hint of reverb and recorded a song real quick. What do you guys think of the quality?

Jason,
It is a great idea and it sounds great. Did you plug the mic directly into the computer or do you have a pre-amp?

It sounds nice recorded, Jason. If it feeds back too much live, try this:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8560&highlight=BUCKS

Thanks, Ric! I'll look into that if I have problems :).

Before Circuit City shutdown I found some lavs on closeout for $14. I went to the hardware store and got some plastic caps designed to cover the end of bolts that fit over the clip for to protect the uke. These have worked nicely, but I get a much cleaner and present sound from an undersaddle pickup strip.

Nice. I have tons of different clips for my lav, including magnet mounts, which I might have to try...but the one I used for this has rubber on it to prevent scratches. I wonder how my mic would go up against your UST. I should have mentioned, this isn't exactly a cheap solution...my lav was $200+ :eek:.

Jason,
It is a great idea and it sounds great. Did you plug the mic directly into the computer or do you have a pre-amp?

Thanks! The mic runs into its own power supply, which is what you'd consider the preamp I guess. It's powered by one AA battery. Here it is. Looks like it's a bit cheaper now.

Jason, couldn't get to your youtube sound clip (youtube might be down), so I checked out your myspace No Reverb duo songs. Very cool.

Question: on "Electric Feel", the down beat (on the 1) acoustic guitar (roll/strum?) is very smooth for a wrist/pick roll. Is this what it is, or are you using a ukulele finger roll to achieve this percussive vibe? Thanks, e.lo...

Jason, couldn't get to your youtube sound clip (youtube might be down), so I checked out your myspace No Reverb duo songs. Very cool.

Question: on "Electric Feel", the down beat (on the 1) acoustic guitar (roll/strum?) is very smooth for a wrist/pick roll. Is this what it is, or are you using a ukulele finger roll to achieve this percussive vibe? Thanks, e.lo...

Hey E-lo,

Thanks! For that song I use a pick throughout the whole song. On the 1, it's just some really fast wrist motion (up, down, up down) on the lower notes of the chords, and then i up-pick the higher three strings. I hope that explanation makes sense :).

Also, the chords are Cm7, Gm, G#, Bb, Gm, G# throughout the whole song.

Hey E-lo,

Thanks! For that song I use a pick throughout the whole song. On the 1, it's just some really fast wrist motion (up, down, up down) on the lower notes of the chords, and then i up-pick the higher three strings. I hope that explanation makes sense :).

Also, the chords are Cm7, Gm, G#, Bb, Gm, G# throughout the whole song.

Jason, wow! smooth and clean bro!...Gonna try an cop the vibe and chord progression from that. Very nice originals and vocals...thanks, e.lo.....

Top Bottom