Is paypal safe?

gabzuke

Reaction score
Im not an experienced paypal user but i would like to buy something online
via paypal without signing up (which is using your credit card). Is that any safe?

any help would be appreciated

It's safe...Just don't give out your username or password to anyone...You can also get a random number generator thingie that allows for an extra level of security when logging in to PayPal...:)

You can also get a random number generator thingie that allows for an extra level of security when logging in to PayPal...:)

My parents like that, they are extremeley causious with using their credit cards online, which makes ordering stuff a pain for me... Since I am a minor for 1 year and 1 month still.....

In some ways PP is safer than paying directly by credit card, as it means you don't have to give your card details to stores you don't know.

I have never had a problem with it and I've been using PP for years. Usually a couple times a week at least.

In some ways PP is safer than paying directly by credit card, as it means you don't have to give your card details to stores you don't know.

I have never had a problem with it and I've been using PP for years. Usually a couple times a week at least.

Exactly right,when we get an order thru paypal,we get paid by paypal and never see a credit card number of the customer.

yeh its safe, wrong section, dont open any emails from a "paypal" service that address you as your user name etc....

dont give out username/pass. xcept me ofcourse.

yeh its safe, wrong section, dont open any emails from a "paypal" service that address you as your user name etc....

dont give out username/pass. xcept me ofcourse.

Good point, I've had scam emails that looked like they were from paypal, warning about some security issue and then ask for my info.

Paypal is safe. I actually just used paypal to pay for tickets for American Airlines. I was surprised that was an option but I felt more comfortable doing it that way than having to enter all of my info going through the airlines pay by credit card option.
More and more people are accepting paypal as a form of payment as it is easy, fast, and secure.

I know people are very worried about credit card number theft. But in my experience, it is probably riskier to use a credit card face to face than online. I think one of our problems was right after taking a trip by car. I suspect a truck stop where we got gas as the possible place, but we'll never know. Anyway, you are not responsible for fraudulent use of your credit card (at least with Visa or Discover in the USA). Because of that, the credit card companies are very watchful for unusual activity. So much so that it is a good idea to let them know if you are going on a vacation. Minutes after I charged my airline tickets to Zurich Switzerland, I got a phone call from the credit card company to check if it was a valid charge by us. You don't want your credit to stop because they can't contact you to check if the charge is valid. I would say that both Visa and Discover Card have excellent service in this area.

I have had no problems with Paypal, and have had an account for many years. So, I have not experienced their customer service regarding fraudulent use.

–Lori

One should be careful with any online purchases, be it through paypal or a credit card or anything else, but Paypal is a very well established service of this type, so I think you feel safe in using it.

Plus, it usually makes for a swifter transaction, because you don't have to enter a long credit card number for every purchase you make.

I have used PayPal for several years with no problems. I have used it with eBay and even personal transactions away from eBay. I had to use the resolution center once for a "no item received" for a auction I bid on and did not receive the item (not a huge deal, I was out $6.00) and PayPal refunded my money after a two-week investigation.

Another thing that my lovely wife uses for online purchases where Paypal is not an option is a temporary credit card number she gets from our Mastercard.

Essentially you can set parameters for how long or how much the number will be good for and use it much like a regular credit card number while not having to give out your actual number.

I do believe that most credit cards may offer similar things. (Or should if they don't yet)

A couple years ago my husband got hit with an almost $1K charge on his cc via paypal. The charge was even listed on his statement as being "Rainbow Hackers" or something like that. He cancelled the card and disputed the charge. He had to get a statement notarized before the card company would reverse the charge. Ironically, the notary said a lot of her business lately had been because of fraudulent charges to citibank cards. He no longer has a paypal account.

I've had a paypal account for years with no problems. (Knock on wood.)

I've had my Paypal account for over 10 years, no problem, and they resolved a couple bad eBay seller problems. NEVER give out Paypal info even to Paypal because they will never ask for it. If in doubt of any Paypal emails just forward them to spoof@paypal.com and they will respond quickly letting you know of the email is real or not. I feel much more secure with Paypal payments then giving raw credit card info for online purchases.

Is that any safe?
ANY safe? Sheesh.

Yes, Paypal is safe as long as you practice safe surfing. It is no more or less safe than your own Internet use. If you do any of the following:
  • surf to warez sites,
  • download warez software,
  • download bit torrent software,
  • install and run any warez software,
  • download pirated movies and watched them on your PC,
  • visit "free" p*** sites,
  • respond to unsolictied emails,
  • respond to any email saying you've won a lottery or some Nigerian government minister wants to make you a bequest of several million dollars,
  • clicked on a link in an email that says it points to Paypal, a bank, credit card company or financial institution;
  • opened any email attachments,
  • don't have a good, up-to-date AV package running in the background,
  • don't have the latest virus definitions installed,
  • don't run a full system AV scan at least once a week,
  • don't use a router or firewall when surfing,
  • run a DMZ computer for gaming,
  • use IE 6 or earlier
  • are using Win XP without SP2...
then nothing online is safe for you.

You should also speak to your bank and get a limited credit card ($250-$1,000 limit). Use this for any online purchases and as the source for Paypal funds. DOr at the very least open a special bank account that's ONLY for online transactions and Paypal, and limit the amount of money in it.​

I had a PayPal Merchant Account for my publishing company and we had an issue where I tried to make a purchase and use a credit card. The PayPal order screen let me go through the credit card entry screen like it should, but, it ran the transaction via the merchant account (checking) and since it was a big purchase, the checking account did not have enough money in it and the account went negative. Chalk up a bunch of compounded penalty fees and issues and PayPal refused to make things right, even though it was there mistake. I told them where to stick it and will never deal with them again.

Their mistake cost be a couple hundred dollars in penalty fees.

Yeah, worth adding to Pippin's post is:

Yes, Paypal is quite safe. But I recommend only using their service with a credit card and in a limited manner. They have been known to pull some ridiculous s**t... if even a fraction of the stories collected at paypalsucks.com are true.

I just bought a ukulele off another member here using PayPal. Worked flawlessly, just make sure you are careful not to type the wrong amount, send to the wrong person, etc.

Top Bottom