4 Kalas - which one?

cocohonk

Reaction score
Stricty from a bang for buck perspective, and assuming everything else other than the uke itself is equal, which Kala concert, in your opinion, is the best value for the price?

Kala solid spruce top (130 ish)
Kala all solid mahogany (190 ish)
Kala mahogany series black concert/tenor with pickup (140 ish)
Kala curly mango series (220 ish)

Thanks!

I"m partial to the spruce top (KA-SC)-- then again, its what I have, and is one of my favorite ukes... It has a bright sound and is simply wonderful with worth browns...

Downside, is I can't ever get it to record nicely-- always sounds too tinny, but live, its a dream...

I'd go with the solid mahogany. The spruce is nice too.
The mango series looks awesome but I don't think Kala uses solid wood for the mango ukes.

If the curly mango is solid then that one hands down... mango has a rich warm tone I really like. If it's not solid, then I'd go with the mahogany, then the spruce top. Unless you really want a pickup...this is hard!

Personally I am partial to Mango, that could be because I have a Uke made from Mango...

Cashew - the tinny sound could also be the strings or tuning or combination. I have all my Ukes tuned to Low G so I get a nice rich sound....

I believe that the Kala curly mango is a laminate, not solid. I like my Kala all solid mahogany tenor very much.

That said, if I had the money I would go for a Kala solid acacia. Check out thejumpingflea's review.

My vote goes to the KA-SC best bang for the buck. :shaka:

I haven't played the others but I love my Kala solid mahogany tenor. Very even sound on the strings (I like my Flea too but I've noticed the C string can be overpowering). I've played the concert mahogany at a music store and noticed the same quality.

For the money I have nothing bad to say about it.

concert and soprano solid acacias are available but most tenors will not be on open market for months. There is a large presold amount of tenors and very few trickling in kala fretless basses are now available in a very limited quantity.

So, votes for now are:-

solid spruce top (130 ish) - 2
all solid mahogany (190 ish) - 5
mahogany series black with pickup (140 ish) - 0 (aw! poor thing. :D)
curly mango series (220 ish) - 1

Thank you for all your help! :D

Top Bottom