I can only buy one UKE this year... and I think it's this one

ed531

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

So the story is I will only be able to buy one UKE this year... I've researched and considered getting this one.

I've never played a Pono and the reviews on the web is both positive and negative.

Does anyone have any experience with the Pono Tenor - spruce/ebony line ?

Any replies would be appreciated...

DSC_1270.jpg

DSC_1271.jpg

DSC_1268.jpg

DSC_1269.jpg

No personal experience with that specific uke, but man, that thing looks hot. Vine inlay, headstock inlay, other abalone inlays everywhere, ebony body, spruce top. Go for it. Pono makes quality stuff from what I've sampled. I own a PKT-1 myself. Solid uke.

I own a solid mahogany Pono PT tenor and it is a fine instrument. The action was painfully high when I got it (did not purchase from MGM) and I recently got brave enough to take out the saddle, mark it and sand it down a bit and man did that make a difference. I've been playing it a lot lately. The next thing I need to do is take it by my local shop and have the nut slots lowered ever so slightly to make the action just right.

Hey, that ebony body is jaw-dropping gorgeous. Not so sure what kind of sound ebony produces, but the spruce top has much more to do with sound production that the body.

Also, mine came with a wound low G and wound C and I took them off. Did not like them at all. Tried Worth Browns with Low G and eventually took them off. I have Worth Clear High Gs on now and she sings.

Regards,
Ray

That is one fine looking ukulele. Never played a Pono but if it's looks you are after, that one has it.

I've never played one, but that is drop-dead gorgeous.

Hi Folks,

So the story is I will only be able to buy one UKE this year... I've researched and considered getting this one.

I've never played a Pono and the reviews on the web is both positive and negative.

Does anyone have any experience with the Pono Tenor - spruce/ebony line ?

Any replies would be appreciated...

I love them!:nana: They sound and look beautiful. Get them while you can as Pono has stopped making this line and also the mango line Oh yeah and the deluxe mahogany line.They will be bringing a cedar topped rosewood model out soon.
Pono has in limited availability of the ebony with cut-away. The figured ebony is becoming more rare and more costly.

I briefly owned a Pono ebony deluxe with cutaway and pickup last year. I ended up selling it because it was relagated to case confinement after I received a custom William King tenor a few weeks after getting it. I thought it was a very nice uke though. Great looking and sounded nice, although I didn't come close to playing it enough to open it up a bit. I made a comparison video at the time playing it and two other ukes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgmvpZncKn8

I would say get it if it appeals to you. Even at around $800, this is the cheapest macassar ebony uke you could get. A KoAloha ebony/spruce Sceptre costs $4000+, and custom builders charges well over $1000 for ukes built out of macassar ebony. My current go-to uke is a King concert built out of macassar ebony and adirondack spruce (sound sample) and it has more or less put a stop to my UAS for the time being. I'm definitely a fan of macassar ebony ukes. One thing to consider though, if you have not handled one, is that it is very heavy. The ebony uke will feel like it's twice as heavy as a lightly built mahogany uke. Both the Pono and King felt significantly heavier than any other uke of similar size I've handled.

I briefly owned a Pono ebony deluxe with cutaway and pickup last year. I ended up selling it because it was relagated to case confinement after I received a custom William King tenor a few weeks after getting it. I thought it was a very nice uke though. Great looking and sounded nice, although I didn't come close to playing it enough to open it up a bit. I made a comparison video at the time playing it and two other ukes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgmvpZncKn8

I would say get it if it appeals to you. Even at around $800, this is the cheapest macassar ebony uke you could get. A KoAloha ebony/spruce Sceptre costs $4000+, and custom builders charges well over $1000 for ukes built out of macassar ebony. My current go-to uke is a King concert built out of macassar ebony and adirondack spruce (sound sample) and it has more or less put a stop to my UAS for the time being. I'm definitely a fan of macassar ebony ukes. One thing to consider though, if you have not handled one, is that it is very heavy. The ebony uke will feel like it's twice as heavy as a lightly built mahogany uke. Both the Pono and King felt significantly heavier than any other uke of similar size I've handled.

That was some great info... thank you.

MGM had one of those a while back, I haven't looked lately...You can check him out...That is one drop-dead gorgeous ukulele...:D

Get it, play it, and love it dearly...:D

MGM had one of those a while back, I haven't looked lately...You can check him out...That is one drop-dead gorgeous ukulele...:D

Get it, play it, and love it dearly...:D

He still has it and is selling it for $800. The back on his uke is crazy looking.

I've heard nothing but praise towards the Ebony Delux line. I waited too long to pull the trigger on purchasing one. However, I have a Pono mahogany/spruce, and it sounds FANTASTIC. I can only imagine that the ebony will sound just as great, if not better. The build quality of Ponos are great as well. Go for it!

Ok, I take back all the things I think about UAS! I bow down in apologies. That uke of MGM's is to die for. It's gorgeous!

Top Bottom