PDA

View Full Version : Woah, Ibanez Ukuleles!

experimentjon
07-22-2009, 08:49 AM
I don't know if these are new, but I haven't seen these before. Ukuleles from guitar/bass maker Ibanez. I own one of their guitars and one of their basses, both of which are cool instruments. Their ukes don't really appeal to me too much, or at least not as much as the Fender ukes, but they're pretty cool.

http://ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/Series-Ukulele

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/acoustic/seriesThumbs/UKS50.gif

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/acoustic/seriesThumbs/UEW20SG.gif

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/acoustic/seriesThumbs/UEW10QM.gif

http://ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-UKC10

wee_ginga_yin
07-22-2009, 09:03 AM
That spalted mango looks delicious and it is going for 169 dollars

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAUEW20

GX9901
07-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Whoa indeed! Perhaps more and more guitar makers will jump into the uke market? Too bad these look much less interesting than Fender's offerings, and the Fenders were panned for being cookie cutter imports with a new headstock.

BrotherUke
07-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Whoa indeed! Perhaps more and more guitar makers will jump into the uke market?

I wouldn't be surprised. I read that the overall instrument market is down 20% but ukulele sales are up 15%.

mealfrog41
07-22-2009, 09:28 AM
That's cool, I have an Ibanez guitar that I really like.. Too bad they don't offer a tenor model

Pippin
07-22-2009, 09:36 AM
I knew that these were being developed. I am in communication with them on the idea of a review for Ukulele Player.

Melissa82
07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
This is cool.

dnewton2
07-22-2009, 09:54 AM
I was looking at the website and it has neck dimensions that show a radius fretboard. No actual dimensions though. It would be cool to have a radius fretboard on a more affordable ukulele. I have wanted to try that option out but it is ussually only fond on higher end ukes.

Besided that it is about exciting as Fender ukes for me, Not very.

They do have some nice looking woods but i would bet not solid.

Ahnko Honu
07-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I REALLY Like the radiused fretboards, very cool. Probably made in China right?

Jimmy
07-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Those maple ones look nice, otherwise the rest just look a bit standard. I'm sure the sapele is nice but the wood and cutaway on the other two just look nicer in my opinion.

Indeed the radiused fretboard are cool and the price is attractive but I think I'll give them a miss.

benmealer
07-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Melissa82
07-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I REALLY Like the radiused fretboards, very cool. Probably made in China right?Based on the price I'm seeing online, maybe.

benmealer
07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
I think they are prettier than the Fenders. Not really my style. If I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd go for a Mainland.

ichadwick
07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Interesting but... no tenor size?

Pippin
07-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I REALLY Like the radiused fretboards, very cool. Probably made in China right?

I'll bet Indonesia.

jdmcnasty
07-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow! I'm really feeling those. I might have to pick up one of those concerts. The prices are right too...

RevWill
07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I really like that maple cutaway concert. Their cutaway shape is pretty, and that maple is beeyooteeful.

Link
07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Digging the spalted Mango concert. Glad to see another her guitar maker jumping in the uke world.

ukulelearp
07-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I have an Ibanez classical guitar, and it's what I mainly use when I'm not playing my ukulele.

Whoa indeed! Perhaps more and more guitar makers will jump into the uke market? Too bad these look much less interesting than Fender's offerings, and the Fenders were panned for being cookie cutter imports with a new headstock.

I've heard that, but I never saw which ukuleles they were supposedly rebranding. Any examples?

Uncle-Taco
07-22-2009, 01:51 PM
A 17 fret soprano with a radiused fretboard...HELLOOOOOOO THERE!!!!! :shaka:

haole
07-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I've heard that, but I never saw which ukuleles they were supposedly rebranding. Any examples?

Heard that the Fenders are based on Samick/Greg Bennett ukes, but no proof.
Not sure if the Ibanez ukes are original designs or more rebrandings, but they're pretty.

Link
07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
They look a little Ohana-ish.

http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck75cg/master.html

MGM
07-22-2009, 04:23 PM
CHINA OR INDONESIA yes very nice

Uncle-Taco
07-22-2009, 04:38 PM
They look a little Ohana-ish.

http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck75cg/master.html

True.
A little googling turned up European stores showing Kanaloa having the same model names and they look rather like those, too. I don't know what a Kanaloa is, but I am REALLY curious and UAS-y about the KTS-50. I wanna find and play one.

nikolo727
07-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I think I need to go change my pants. I love ibanez. and I love ukuleles. Im in shock. This immediately just jumped to the top of the list.

nikolo727
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
BTW: Ibanez has many factories in many places, including philly,PA and Japan. Most of the equipment that you can buy from them, is made here in the states or crafted overseas in japan, but the ones from japan are usually the custom instruments. The mass produced instruments come from the usa.(at least thats what ive been told. :p)

nikolo727
07-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Has anyone been able to find a sound byte for these ukes?

gabzuke
07-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Has anyone been able to find a sound byte for these ukes?

well ibanez guitars has been making good guitars eversince so it might not sound as good, but i think its gonna be good for the price

gabzuke
07-23-2009, 12:51 AM
how much are they again?

Lanark
07-23-2009, 03:44 AM
I dunno. I can't really get too excited by ukes branded by large well known musical instrument companies. It's great that it will possibly help to make lower priced but actually playable instruments more readily available (and I can't help but be intrigued by the possibility of a fret board radius), but I'd still rather put my pennies toward something crafted by hand in a smaller shop. There's something very intimate about the connection you get with an instrument that has been made by identifiable people vs. a factory.

Gaby
07-24-2009, 02:11 PM
The moment I see a bridge that's screwed in....

No thanks.

My advice in general: if you are serious about ukes, buy a uke from a uke maker, even if that means an Asian based uke maker. Big name guitar makers are now jumping on the band wagon because there's such a growth in the market. In my opinion though, most of them don't get it.

For many brands that are famous for electric guitars, acoustic instruments are an afterthought and just a way to leverage the brand.

ukulelearp
07-24-2009, 03:06 PM

No thanks.

My advice in general: if you are serious about ukes, buy a uke from a uke maker, even if that means an Asian based uke maker. Big name guitar makers are now jumping on the band wagon because there's such a growth in the market. In my opinion though, most of them don't get it.

For many brands that are famous for electric guitars, acoustic instruments are an afterthought and just a way to leverage the brand.

That's certainly true to a certain degree, but I have a Fender that I think is really well made and sounds nice, but I've heard that it's not actually made by Fender. On that note, I know that quite a few electric guitar companies do put out decent acoustic guitars.

On another note, can someone explain what a radiused fretboard is?

KC8AFW
07-24-2009, 03:23 PM
...On another note, can someone explain what a radiused fretboard is?

Most ukulele fretboards are completely flat. Guitar fretboards are not...they are slightly rounded. If you have a guitar...look down the neck from the bridge and you'll see it has a slight hump that runs down the length of the neck. This is what they refer to as "radiused". The size of the hump is measured by the radius of the circle it would make if it were to make a complete circle (if that makes any sense at all).

ukulelearp
07-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Most ukulele fretboards are completely flat. Guitar fretboards are not...they are slightly rounded. If you have a guitar...look down the neck from the bridge and you'll see it has a slight hump that runs down the length of the neck. This is what they refer to as "radiused". The size of the hump is measured by the radius of the circle it would make if it were to make a complete circle (if that makes any sense at all).

Makes perfect sense, but why would you want that? Is it easier to play or something?

Gaby
07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
I know I would offend those who own ukes by guitar makers. You would have had a good reason for buying that uke, or perhaps limited choice.

The question is, would you have bought that uke if it hadn't had Fender written on it?

Would anyone be interested in these Ibanez ukes if they didn't have Ibanez written on them?

What is the logic? I like my Ibanez electric so I'll get a uke with Ibanez written on it.

Think about it, be critical, and foremost, compare! If you still love that uke, then sure, buy it.

A radiused fretboard is curved (like some guitar fretboards are)

ukulelearp
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I know I would offend those who own ukes by guitar makers. You would have had a good reason for buying that uke, or perhaps limited choice.

The question is, would you have bought that uke if it hadn't had Fender written on it?

Would anyone be interested in these Ibanez ukes if they didn't have Ibanez written on them?

What is the logic? I like my Ibanez electric so I'll get a uke with Ibanez written on it.

Think about it, be critical, and foremost, compare! If you still love that uke, then sure, buy it.

A radiused fretboard is curved (like some guitar fretboards are)

Well I bought it because I wanted a tenor and I got a really great deal on it. And to be honest, I don't really like that it's a Fender because it seems less genuine because of it. But for perspective, I also have an Kala concert that I started on and really want an Ohana Vita. It's just a matter of the instrument, not the brand.

KC8AFW
07-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Makes perfect sense, but why would you want that? Is it easier to play or something?

The original purpose was to make it more comfortable for fretting bar chords. Guitars designed for fingerstyle playing will have flatter fretboards. Classical guitars will be almost perfectly flat.

ukulelearp
07-24-2009, 03:56 PM
The original purpose was to make it more comfortable for fretting bar chords. Guitars designed for fingerstyle playing will have flatter fretboards. Classical guitars will be almost perfectly flat.

That explains why I didn't see it on my classical guitar when I looked!

Hobgoblin Steve
07-24-2009, 04:05 PM
A radiused fretboard is curved

can anyone say FRETLESS?

:D

seriously, strip the frets and since its curved you could actually do this without it not sounding right.

Pippin
07-25-2009, 12:04 AM

Because a slight curvature is a more natural fit with your fingers. It is harder to make a radius-curve neck, but they are superior players. This is the sort of thing that guitar makers can bring to the table by experience.

BTW.... many people claim that Martin, the guitar maker, produced some of the best ukuleles the world has ever known. Think about it.

Pippin
07-25-2009, 12:10 AM

No thanks.

And many electric guitar makers lack the skills and experience necessary to craft finely made acoustic guitars. They are completely different animals.

gabzuke
07-25-2009, 03:42 AM
I dunno. I can't really get too excited by ukes branded by large well known musical instrument companies. It's great that it will possibly help to make lower priced but actually playable instruments more readily available (and I can't help but be intrigued by the possibility of a fret board radius), but I'd still rather put my pennies toward something crafted by hand in a smaller shop. There's something very intimate about the connection you get with an instrument that has been made by identifiable people vs. a factory.

touche my friend

Uncle-Taco
07-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Because a slight curvature is a more natural fit with your fingers. It is harder to make a radius-curve neck, but they are superior players. This is the sort of thing that guitar makers can bring to the table by experience.

BTW.... many people claim that Martin, the guitar maker, produced some of the best ukuleles the world has ever known. Think about it.

Yeah, that's it. Good observation on Martin, too! ;)

Radiused fretboards make it easier to play chords, especially big old barre chords. The downfall is that tighter radiuses don't lend themselves to playing lead so much: They require higher action and they cause strings to fret out when you bend.

That's why the shredder guitar players go for 14 or 16 inch radiuses where your old Fender electrics have 7 1/2 or 9 inch radiuses. Compound radiuses gradually flatten out as you go up the neck in an attempt to accommodate both, but they're a little weird and you need a REAL skilled luthier to do fret work.

On a ukulele, the benefit would be more subtle (I would think), but I don't see that it would hurt anything. I'm curious to try it.

ukulelearp
07-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Hmm, it seems like it'd be cool to try, but since I already play both guitar and ukulele without it, I'm not sure it'd be a big factor in my purchase decisions.

ukerazy
07-25-2009, 08:14 AM
I really want one!

Gaby
07-25-2009, 11:27 PM

Pippin, this is why I stated "in general" because there are plenty of exceptions. However, the exception is often the luthier who builds guitars and ukes by hand.

Also, may I point out the correct "produced" (past tense...) in the quote above. How many of us can get excited about the mass produced SO ukes they make now?

I must be honest though, I haven't played the super duper ones they brought out recently, but at that price I am still not sure if they are bang for buck. Pippin', you may have had the pleasure to have tried those?

All I am saying, buyer beware, and think about why you are buying a uke. If it is because that brand makes good guitars, I would urge you to think again! Do some research.

Alec - get that Ohana Vita, best bang for your buck in your collection and more than likely the loudest uke!

Kiwaya make uke with radiused fretboard that I absolutely love (though I am predominantly a finger picker); it's based on an old Martin uke actually.

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 12:04 AM
I'd still rather put my pennies toward something crafted by hand in a smaller shop. There's something very intimate about the connection you get with an instrument that has been made by identifiable people vs. a factory.

Amen, there's something special about owning a 'ukulele made by someone you actually know and speak to about your 'ukulele. My R&L (Randy & Lenda Wong), Waverly Street (Dave Djessing), and S&J Craft (Emil Bader) 'ukulele's are especially special to me knowing the great people who handcrafted these instruments. I also appreciate my Mainland (Mike Hater), and Mele (Mike & Cheryl Rock) 'ukuleles for the great service from great people selling great products they believe in and stand by. All are keepers.

Pippin
07-26-2009, 01:49 AM

Also, may I point out the correct "produced" (past tense...) in the quote above. How many of us can get excited about the mass produced SO ukes they make now?

I must be honest though, I haven't played the super duper ones they brought out recently, but at that price I am still not sure if they are bang for buck. Pippin', you may have had the pleasure to have tried those?

Gaby, The new S-0 is not as bad NOW as people make it out to be. There were problems with them when they first were produced. New operation in Mexico, bugs here or there... they ironed out those problems some time ago, but the stigma remains. Most people like the vintage ukes much better. Why? They have been seasoned and sound much nicer.

Yes, I have played the "super duper" ones. Oh, yeah, they are very nice. They will even sound better with age. They are made with the original specs but have updated nut and saddle. Are they worth the price of admission? Perhaps. If they turn out to be highly collectible, then they are a great investment. If not, they are very nice hand-built ukes, not mass-produced, cookie-cutter models. The name, Martin, in this case, does add collector value to them.

BTW.... When you are talking about guitar makers remember Collings, Larrivee, and a few other low-production number operations that use state-of-the-art equipment can produce predictable quality instruments.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-26-2009, 02:00 AM
i cant see if any of them r tenors

ichadwick
07-26-2009, 02:44 AM
Alec - get that Ohana Vita, best bang for your buck in your collection and more than likely the loudest uke!

Almost as loud and sweet as a Mainland...

ukulelearp
07-26-2009, 05:29 AM
I'm debating between a Vita or Mainland Soprano.

UkeNukem
07-26-2009, 10:48 AM
That top one has a headstock like my Ibanez AS80, that would be a cool set!

Gaby
07-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Almost as loud and sweet as a Mainland...

Ian, have you actually played a Vita uke?

Pippin
07-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Ian, have you actually played a Vita uke?

I have... yep, they are pretty loud. The laminated back and sides project a lot of sound from that solid spruce top.

KC8AFW
07-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm debating between a Vita or Mainland Soprano.

I want a Mainland red cedar soprano.

DeG
07-26-2009, 03:20 PM
I bought a mainland red cedar soprano at UWC..it is a great little uke.... I've played Vitas and they do put out some volume..but the mainland is a loud little bugger too. Sounds nice and you can hang it in your closet to keep moths away when your not playing it :D

ukulelearp
07-26-2009, 03:41 PM
I bought a mainland red cedar soprano at UWC..it is a great little uke.... I've played Vitas and they do put out some volume..but the mainland is a loud little bugger too. Sounds nice and you can hang it in your closet to keep moths away when your not playing it :D

As superficial as it is, my main problem is that they're both so cool looking!

KC8AFW
07-26-2009, 03:57 PM
As superficial as it is, my main problem is that they're both so cool looking!

Get both! There...problem solved. Let me know if I can be of any more help. :D

ukulelearp
07-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Get both! There...problem solved. Let me know if I can be of any more help. :D

Well unfortunately I'm a teenager without a job, so I don't have too much disposable income :D

Gaby
07-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Buy the Vita, go busking with it and then buy the other one, haha!

Pippin
07-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Buy the Vita, go busking with it and then buy the other one, haha!

A great solution!

gabzuke
07-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I have... yep, they are pretty loud. The laminated back and sides project a lot of sound from that solid spruce top.

nice! ahahah:shaka:

ukulelearp
07-28-2009, 11:08 AM
I saw one today at my local music store, I want one even more now.

Uncle-Taco
07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I saw one today at my local music store, I want one even more now.

An Ibanez ukulele?
Do tell!
C'mon, c'mon!

ukulelearp
07-28-2009, 02:12 PM
An Ibanez ukulele?
Do tell!
C'mon, c'mon!

Ahh, sorry, should've been more clear about that one. I saw an Ohana Vita. I would've been more descriptive if I saw an Ibanez!

Hikingstevo
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I haven't seen them in person but the photos they look nice. :) It's cool that the main stream manufactures are getting into the uke business. A sign of the times... UKES ARE COOL!

BTW..I prefer the looks over the Fenders.

ukecantdothat
09-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Beautiful looking mango, Ibanez! My first guitar was an Ibanez Les Paul copy in 1974. They've come a long way since then and now they're jumping into the uke market like Fender did. I bought the Fender uke and returned the first one due to massive buzz on several frets. Then I returned the replacement because of a poor pickup that only picked up the 2 middle strings. Sorry, two strikes and yer out, Fender. Now I crave the Ibanez, especially considering the radius fretboard.

mrUKETOBER
09-22-2009, 04:19 AM
i bet the ibanez are WAY better then the fenders ! i had a fender and hated it ! the sound was very muted ! the neck was too fat the pegs were hard to tune... it was horrible and i hated it ! i do not recommend getting one

RevWill
09-22-2009, 04:36 AM
http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/acoustic/products/UEW10QM.gif

I am still loving the look of this one. That bridge looks like a Taylor guitar (and I LOVE Taylor). The cutaway is a very cool shape as well. Just a beautiful instrument.

Kanaka916
09-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Since this was posted, I don't think anyone here has played one much less bought one. Somebody, prove me wrong! Soundclips, pics?

smithpaul60
09-22-2009, 06:23 AM
I ordered the spalted mango, but it is still on back order till oct 5th. It said aug 31st but i guess they had to order more before I get mine. I'll give it one more go around before I get angry.

Link
09-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Oh man. HATE backorders. Hope you get it soon. Let us know if it's a winner or a turd.

Harold O.
09-22-2009, 11:54 AM
I played the back order game with my Fender. A favorite trick for [them] is to tell you it's in stock, then later send you a notice that the item has been back ordered and will arrive in xx days - well after they ran you through the hoops.

If your uke actually comes through, I'd like to hear it. UAS says I need a better concert.

bornagainjeeper
09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
I actually like the look of these, who knows how a 169 mango uke would sound...but at least its pretty...I for one was disgusted at the fender ukes...that strat headstock really turned me off...(and i'm a long time fender player

Sonseeker30
09-22-2009, 01:29 PM
They look good yet how do they sound? I have an Ibanez EF series Acoustic/Electric Guitar and it's got good action. I have had my guitar for over 3 years now and I am perfectly happy with it. Yet, I am waiting for my Dad to pass down his Acoustic Martin to me, one day. :D

SamWise
09-22-2009, 02:33 PM
That spalted mango looks delicious and it is going for 169 dollars

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAUEW20

I've not read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been said, but it's worth pointing out that this is a laminate uke. It looks great, but the spalted mango is not adding a THING to the sound - it's plywood. The Kala Mango which I tried (again, plywood with mango veneer) was disappointing for the price. It looked great, and it sounded......fine. But it would have sounded just as fine for less than half the price with paint on the top instead of veneer.

bboyxshift
11-23-2009, 08:23 PM
any news or sound clips? i wanna hear those cutaways in action

joehempel
11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow, I own two of their guitars, and LOVE them, so I'm hoping that these sound just as good....must find store that has them.

ukestang
11-24-2009, 01:43 AM
I have the spalted mango concert cutaway. Gorgeous instrument! Great workmanship. Sounds good to me but is my first uke. I added a stick on transducer and it rocks plugged in. I got it at Sam Ash, the guy knocked $50 off when I asked for a deal. I had a $100 gift card since christmas so it cost me $19.95 + tax. Would post sound and pictures but don't know how. As far as the radius fretboard, if there is a radius it is so slight that it is imperceptable to me. Would love to hear what someone with experience thinks of the uke.

Sambient
11-24-2009, 01:49 AM
As far as the radius fretboard, if there is a radius it is so slight that it is imperceptable to me.
That's good to know. It quells my UAS for at least one of the entry level if it's not giving me anything I don't already have.

Lefty3
12-21-2009, 09:42 PM
My parents bought me one as a Christmas gift. Tomorrow I'm going to run by their house and give it a look over and try it out. I'll post some pics and possibly a video if anyone is interested. Side-note: I've never played uke before, but I do play guitar and mandolin, so I will apologize in advance if any playing done is bad. I just told my folks that I was curious about getting one and they picked it up.

smithpaul60
12-22-2009, 05:06 AM
I got mine a while back, i just haven't made a vid with it yet due to .... lazyness. As far as build it has a good solid feel and looks spectacular. The grover tuners are my favorite part as the gold just sets off the Mango finish. The stained mahogany that is the neck is my least favorite part. It has a slight orange tint that dosen't look right to me with the Mango.
Play wise I love how it plays. One of my excuses for not posting a video it that I still have the GHS strings on it, not my favorite I was going to try some D's on it but haven't gotten around to ordering them So i don't know how it sounds with great strings on it. However it sounds good as it is. Let me put this in perspective. I have three ukes a Lanikai lu-21, The Ibanez, and an Ohana SK-35g. The Ohana's sound makes me melt. The Lanikai Lu-21 is an entry level and sounds great on a beach. If the Lanikai is a 1 and the Ohana is a 10 then the Ibanez is around a 7.5-8.
I love the Ibanez. It has character and fits me great. Overall I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Sambient
12-22-2009, 06:00 AM
May I ask which model you got?

smithpaul60
12-22-2009, 07:33 AM
i have the mango UEW20SG which stands for Ukulele Exotic Wood 20 Semi-Gloss (I think)

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/acoustic/seriesThumbs/UEW20SG.gif

Sambient
12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Ah, the pretty one!

ukeCANjam
12-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I went to my nearest Sam Ash yesterday, and I noticed a box in the midst of all the guitars.

On the counter had a sticker that said "EW Cutaway" and my curiousity overcame me. I carefully opened the box, and it felt like Christmas. The uke was wrapped nicely, and it came with a cheap little gig bag.

From the first point of view, it was REALLY, REALLY, pretty. The mango wood had an exotic stain to it, and the gloss really brought out the grain. The colors were perfectly matched from the head to the body. The reason I am attracted to this particular ukulele is because of the colors.

The weight of the ukulele is okay, it being a laminate. It has a overall solid, but sort of hollow feel to it. The finish is good, no major nicks or bad fret work. Again, the binding really compliments the colors. Still, it feel's a bit bulky, but a little light.

Now the sound threw me off. It had nasty GHS strings on it, untuned too. It was very ear throbbing. I tried to tune it, but I did'nt really have the time and it just was not worth it. There was also a nearby Kala MT (Mango tenor) that I quickly compared with. The ukes are both laminate and one mango, but one spalted and one curly. The Kala (tenor) had a very bright and punch sound from it. Partially because it had Aquilla's on it, and it was tuned. The Ibanez sounded thin and really soft, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

My friend, who happens to know nothing about ukes, said he prefered the big sound of the Kala. Yeah, he agreed it wasn't as pretty, but he said the tenor was just louder and sounded smoother.

That's just my opinion, but it might sound better with other strings! I don't know, I think it's worth the money its worth.

ukuDaily
04-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Have any more people taken the leap and bought one of these. Sure it is pretty, but so are those ukes from Vietnam on eBay, but I wouldn't buy one at gunpoint. I am real curious what they sound like.

Mike
<><

ukuDaily.com (http://www.ukudaily.com)
all things ukulele, daily.

happyslappysoong
04-23-2010, 04:34 AM
No Tenor = epic fail. I'd be ALL over these if they were Tenor...these exotic shapes and woods are to die for!

Skrik
04-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Re radiused fretboards:

Makes shredding easier, and that's what Ibanez seems to be about.*

*Yes, yes, I know they make nice musical instruments, but the shredder guitars are what they are really known for.

ScottGrove
06-17-2010, 10:29 PM
I just bough my first uke and I went for an Ibanez. You can check it out here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXVWNgAvgXc I have nothing else to compare it to as there isn't a music store within a hundred miles of me, let alone one that would carry ukes. Let me know what you think of this one. I know it's "out there"......exactly why I bought it. I'm going for FUN with this one. I'll grab a serious one as soon as you all let me know what one is. This is my first post here and I hope to be educated on finding a great, serious uke. Thanks in advance.

mm stan
06-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Aloha Ahnko Honu,
Wasn't Ibanez guitars the company who made them out of US fender guitars in Japan???
HMMM...wonder if they are still located in japan yet, it been a long while...
Would anybody help if they know!!! Many thanks, MM Stan..

oldrookie
06-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Under the specs for these it says "Radius: Flat" Are they flat? If so, seems some early posters are getting excited about nothing.

Sambient
06-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Under the specs for these it says "Radius: Flat" Are they flat? If so, seems some early posters are getting excited about nothing.

Were getting excited about nothing. At some earlier point the specs said radiused fretboard. Alas, that radius was flat. Once it became clear that was the case I know I lost interest.

RevWill
06-18-2010, 02:58 AM
Aloha Ahnko Honu,
Wasn't Ibanez guitars the company who made them out of US fender guitars in Japan???
HMMM...wonder if they are still located in japan yet, it been a long while...
Would anybody help if they know!!! Many thanks, MM Stan..

Ibanez was one of the Japanese companies that got sued by Fender for building Strat copies that were more true to the original Strats than what Fender was currently offering. Tokai was another.

Correction: Ibanez was sued by Gibson, but both their Gibson and Fender copies from the 70s are still sought after for their appeal and faithfulness to original designs.

mm stan
06-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Ibanez was one of the Japanese companies that got sued by Fender for building Strat copies that were more true to the original Strats than what Fender was currently offering. Tokai was another.

Correction: Ibanez was sued by Gibson, but both their Gibson and Fender copies from the 70s are still sought after for their appeal and faithfulness to original designs.

Much Mahalo's RevWill,
It was so long ago, I could'nt remember well...All I know the ones I tried back then
sounded really good...No kidding they're worth some money now.. should have kept mine...
"Keep them strings singing" Ukuleles are forever...MM Stan...

ScottGrove
06-20-2010, 04:31 PM
All it was actually is that Gibson filed suit against Ibanez in the 70's only against the open book shaped headstock on Ibanez's Les Paul copies only. No other part of any guitar was in question and by no other company. The suit never even made it to court. So, the hype is so much bigger than the facts. So, Gibson asked them to slightly change the headstock design slightly and they did. Since then, hundreds of companies have copied the Les Paul to a "T" with no reaction from Gibson. Then again, Gibson was sold around the same time as the "Lawsuit" and has changed hands again and again since.

fabioponta
06-20-2010, 05:49 PM
I bought an ibanez uks-10 (soprano sapele laminated body and mahogany neck). Here is the sound (I`m still learn to play) : http://www.4shared.com/audio/DsnMXd-...0_soprano.html

And here is my poor review in portuguese (but you could see some details of the uke): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za3dkbpH8mo

I`m really don`t like of this uke.

PhilUSAFRet
02-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Have been checking acoustic/electric models out myself for a "blues uke". Kind of leaning toward mango but have noticed that some have gorgeous pattern, some kind of hectic . Would want to see the actual ukulele to get best pattern. A few on You Tube, no sound on rosewood model, none plugged in that I notced. Look similar to Oscar Schmidts. Oh oh, just discovered the mahogany Ibanez Talman Acoustic Electric....I may have just found my blues uke. Also just realized...no eq on the maple cutaway??????

My big criteria...do you like the way they look? the way they play, the way they sound? Are they well worth the asking price?

maikii
03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Ukestang. Please tell us more about this Sam Ash deal, for the Ibanez spalted mango concert.

I have only found music retailers ready to deal if one can prove a lower price elsewhere-price matching. In this case, there seems to be no price difference--everyone sells them for the same $170.

How did you get them to take $50 off the price, and sell for $120?

Also--how was the action out of the box? Did you have to go to a shop to have that adjusted,

Thanks in advance.

I have the spalted mango concert cutaway. Gorgeous instrument! Great workmanship. Sounds good to me but is my first uke. I added a stick on transducer and it rocks plugged in. I got it at Sam Ash, the guy knocked $50 off when I asked for a deal. I had a $100 gift card since christmas so it cost me $19.95 + tax. Would post sound and pictures but don't know how. As far as the radius fretboard, if there is a radius it is so slight that it is imperceptable to me. Would love to hear what someone with experience thinks of the uke.

OldePhart
03-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Don't know about Sam Ash but Guitar Center will sometimes deal - especially if something hasn't been moving and they've got several more taking up space in the back.

Even at the "discount" prices at places like GC and SA there is still considerable markup over their cost.

Plainsong
03-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Ibanez also made Ric bass copies in the 70s that plenty of folks still swear by and, the Ric Mafia is very quick to hunt down sales of even used models to get them pulled. They were just that good. My husband has a '73 that is sans issues and tip top.

maikii
03-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Don't know about Sam Ash but Guitar Center will sometimes deal - especially if something hasn't been moving and they've got several more taking up space in the back.

Even at the "discount" prices at places like GC and SA there is still considerable markup over their cost.

Well, Guitar Center has that Ibanez spalted mango on their web site, but I looked in a few GC stores in the LA area, and none carry it. They stock very few ukes. So buying it from GC would mean buying online, they don't stock them anyhow, they are drop-shipped, and with no one selling it at a lower price, I'm not sure what their incentive would be to deal?I haven't checked a SA store, but I would guess they don't stock a lot of ukes either.

So I would still like to know how Ukestang got it for $50 off from Sam Ash, $120 rather than $170. (Note, $170 is NOT the list price, which I think is about $250. $170 is the price that everyone sells it for.) (Seems to be getting more common these days--no price variance at all! Price-fixing?)

missashleyclaire
03-26-2011, 04:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWcydG6_zMs

I LOVE my Ibanez Koa. It has a great warm sound. I'm playing it here. Probably not doing it as much justice as I should be. lol

uke4life
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Great song missashleyclaire!!!!

uke4life
03-26-2011, 04:39 PM
and nice Ibanez headstock too... ;)

missashleyclaire
03-26-2011, 04:40 PM
lol thanks. I was rocking a Hilo baritone before I got that. I have been in hog heaven! The song will be coming to itunes soonish... Thanks to my Ibanez!

dip.mojica
03-26-2011, 06:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWcydG6_zMs

I LOVE my Ibanez Koa. It has a great warm sound. I'm playing it here. Probably not doing it as much justice as I should be. lol

awesome song! amazing voice!

Stewdly
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I tried some of these at a music store and found that the frets felt like they had been trimmed with wire cutters.