Any feedback on this "heavy metal" uke?

I don't really see what's so "heavy metal" about it. It's more "heavy Miró" if you ask me. :D

I'm with you though. For $25 bucks, it's almost worth the gamble, isn't it?

JJ

Isn't that just a Northern knock-off? I don't think there's anything heavy metal or innovative about it. For $25 - it will make good kindling, I suppose (spruce back and sides?)

I've got one of those!

There's a pic on my profile page. Mine is branded Skylark, and it's an import from China. I love mine, it's quite metallic sounding, but it's NOT loud. It's very quiet. It's got quite a thick neck, but coming from guitar playing, that's no problem for me.

I've used it in a few vids if you wanted to have a look. Mine was £30 from:
http://www.skylarkguitars.com/skylark-triangular-tenor-ukelele-1383-0.html

It's listed as a tenor and strung gCEA, but when I measured the scale length, it's baritone. So it's a bit of a hybrid I suppose.

Anyhoo, I love mine, it's got a very different sound from my other ukes, so I think it's worth a shot. No idea about the "heavy metal" bit though!

Hope this helps
Anna :)

it's quite metallic sounding

Marketing Dude 1: "Hey, here's that new uke we've got to come up with a name for. Any ideas?"

Marketing Dude 2: "I don't know, dude. What's it sound like?"

Marketing Dude 1: "Quite metallic, actually."

Marketing Dude 2: "Wow. That's heavy, man."

(The Marketing Dudes look at each other with sudden expressions of discovery)

Marketing Dude 1 & 2 (together): "I've got it!"

JJ

Mahalo eveyone

Nice, thanks for all the feedback. Based on Anna's inputs I'm going to give it a try. I'm all about unique! If you think about how quickly you could run up a $25 bar tab :cheers:, I'm sure I'll spend a lot more time on this uke.

String recommendations?

There's a pic on my profile page. Mine is branded Skylark, and it's an import from China. I love mine, it's quite metallic sounding, but it's NOT loud. It's very quiet. It's got quite a thick neck, but coming from guitar playing, that's no problem for me.

Anyhoo, I love mine, it's got a very different sound from my other ukes, so I think it's worth a shot. No idea about the "heavy metal" bit though!

Hope this helps
Anna :)

Anna, do you have a particular recommendation on strings? I only have experience with Aquilas so that would be my default choice, but let me know if you would suggest something else.

Man for 25 bucks that's tempting, even if it's junk it's still cheaper than a canoe paddle which I can use it for if worse comes to worse. :D
DSC07530.JPG

Strings

I didn't see that other thread about my Skylark! I must have missed that one.

The strings that came on mine were a bit like fishing line. I left them on for a few weeks and they sounded fine. I left them on for the first vids I did with the Skylark . Certainly the Mr Sandman one in April.

After that I put Aquilas on it, and I think it sounded much better after that. It's louder now.

I hope this helps you a little bit. Let me know if you have any more questions :D

Best wishes
Anna

I put tenor high G Aquilas on it, unwound, before I had measured the scale length and realised that it was a baritone. LOL. It was sold as a tenor, which confused me until I actually got hold of it!

BTW, Bender, has your uke arrived yet? What do you think?

Anna

Last edited:
Aloha Anna, Mahalo for your help. I did order one myself too, $24.99 too hard to resist. Also ordered Baritone Aquila gcea strings from my Aquila source on Ebay. I'll let you know how I like mine when it arrives. :smileybounce:

I put tenor high G Aquilas on it, unwound, before I had measured the scale length and realised that it was a baritone. LOL. It was sold as a tenor, which confused me until I actually got hold of it!

BTW, Bender, has your uke arrived yet? What do you think?

Anna

Hi Anna, yes, it did arrive and I like it! :) Sorry for taking a while to follow up on this thread. I've been traveling a lot so I haven't had time to play it much. I've still got the stock strings on it but will likely order some Aquilas....baritones!

It indeed has a thick neck and is a little heavy. It also doesn't sit nice in your lap. Because it has a different "feel" I would not recommend it as a beginner uke. But as a novelty it's great, and I'm looking forward to tweaking strings. If the sound holes were larger it would be fun to put on a pick-up...I still may try that some day but I think it would be tricky to fit them in.

Top Bottom