PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback on this "heavy metal" uke?

Bender
07-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Does anyone have experience with this "heavy metal" uke:
http://cgi.ebay.com/198-Heavy-Metal-Ukulele-Uke-Baritone-4-STRING-NEW_W0QQitemZ190322318219QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2c50181b8b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Very unique, and looks nicely made for $25. How does it sound? I don't own a baritone....yet. $25 is pretty low risk to give it a try.

There are other places on the web selling them for about this price.

Ukulele JJ
07-22-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't really see what's so "heavy metal" about it. It's more "heavy Miró" if you ask me. :D

I'm with you though. For $25 bucks, it's almost worth the gamble, isn't it?

JJ

bbycrts
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Isn't that just a Northern knock-off? I don't think there's anything heavy metal or innovative about it. For $25 - it will make good kindling, I suppose (spruce back and sides?)

AnnaUK
07-23-2009, 02:30 AM
There's a pic on my profile page. Mine is branded Skylark, and it's an import from China. I love mine, it's quite metallic sounding, but it's NOT loud. It's very quiet. It's got quite a thick neck, but coming from guitar playing, that's no problem for me.

I've used it in a few vids if you wanted to have a look. Mine was 30 from:
http://www.skylarkguitars.com/skylark-triangular-tenor-ukelele-1383-0.html

It's listed as a tenor and strung gCEA, but when I measured the scale length, it's baritone. So it's a bit of a hybrid I suppose.

Anyhoo, I love mine, it's got a very different sound from my other ukes, so I think it's worth a shot. No idea about the "heavy metal" bit though!

Hope this helps
Anna :)

Ukulele JJ
07-23-2009, 09:37 AM
it's quite metallic sounding

Marketing Dude 1: "Hey, here's that new uke we've got to come up with a name for. Any ideas?"

Marketing Dude 2: "I don't know, dude. What's it sound like?"

Marketing Dude 1: "Quite metallic, actually."

Marketing Dude 2: "Wow. That's heavy, man."

(The Marketing Dudes look at each other with sudden expressions of discovery)

Marketing Dude 1 & 2 (together): "I've got it!"

JJ

Bender
07-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Nice, thanks for all the feedback. Based on Anna's inputs I'm going to give it a try. I'm all about unique! If you think about how quickly you could run up a $25 bar tab :cheers:, I'm sure I'll spend a lot more time on this uke.

Bender
07-23-2009, 11:33 AM
There's a pic on my profile page. Mine is branded Skylark, and it's an import from China. I love mine, it's quite metallic sounding, but it's NOT loud. It's very quiet. It's got quite a thick neck, but coming from guitar playing, that's no problem for me.

Anyhoo, I love mine, it's got a very different sound from my other ukes, so I think it's worth a shot. No idea about the "heavy metal" bit though!

Hope this helps
Anna :)

Anna, do you have a particular recommendation on strings? I only have experience with Aquilas so that would be my default choice, but let me know if you would suggest something else.

Ahnko Honu
07-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Man for 25 bucks that's tempting, even if it's junk it's still cheaper than a canoe paddle which I can use it for if worse comes to worse. :D
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/12000533/Images/4/DSC07530.JPG

DeG
07-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Bender, check out this thread:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12937&highlight=skylark

UU Member, Wee_Ginga_Yin also has one of these, he maybe able to offer some string advice...

AnnaUK
07-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I didn't see that other thread about my Skylark! I must have missed that one.

The strings that came on mine were a bit like fishing line. I left them on for a few weeks and they sounded fine. I left them on for the first vids I did with the Skylark . Certainly the Mr Sandman one in April.

After that I put Aquilas on it, and I think it sounded much better after that. It's louder now.

I hope this helps you a little bit. Let me know if you have any more questions :D

Best wishes
Anna

Denno
07-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I belive they play a similar in the video from these guys.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=180144#post180144

Ahnko Honu
07-31-2009, 11:56 PM
After that I put Aquilas on it, and I think it sounded much better after that. It's louder now.

Best wishes
Anna

Did you buy the tenor or baritone strings? Mahalo! :shaka:

AnnaUK
08-01-2009, 12:03 AM
I put tenor high G Aquilas on it, unwound, before I had measured the scale length and realised that it was a baritone. LOL. It was sold as a tenor, which confused me until I actually got hold of it!

BTW, Bender, has your uke arrived yet? What do you think?

Anna

Ahnko Honu
08-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Aloha Anna, Mahalo for your help. I did order one myself too, $24.99 too hard to resist. Also ordered Baritone Aquila gcea strings from my Aquila source on Ebay. I'll let you know how I like mine when it arrives. :smileybounce:

Bender
09-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I put tenor high G Aquilas on it, unwound, before I had measured the scale length and realised that it was a baritone. LOL. It was sold as a tenor, which confused me until I actually got hold of it!

BTW, Bender, has your uke arrived yet? What do you think?

Anna

Hi Anna, yes, it did arrive and I like it! :) Sorry for taking a while to follow up on this thread. I've been traveling a lot so I haven't had time to play it much. I've still got the stock strings on it but will likely order some Aquilas....baritones!

It indeed has a thick neck and is a little heavy. It also doesn't sit nice in your lap. Because it has a different "feel" I would not recommend it as a beginner uke. But as a novelty it's great, and I'm looking forward to tweaking strings. If the sound holes were larger it would be fun to put on a pick-up...I still may try that some day but I think it would be tricky to fit them in.