D Tuning

SamUke

Reaction score
I have a copy of a Roy Smeck book that is all in D tuning, it seems a lot of the older uke books were in D tuning? Does anybody play that primarily and why? Why did it change to C? Just curious, thanks

Don't know much bout this, but in Norway the most common Uke tuning is D. I prefer C though, my only friend who has a Uke (too bad he rarley play) has it D tuned

I think a lot of canadians play in d.

If I'm wrong I apologize but c tuning is traditional hawaiian tuning and during the twenties players went to d for some reason. Then there was a push for c tuning which has become more popular now. I could be completely wrong however but I'm on blackberry and having hard time researching it.

James Hill's take on tuning:

What tuning(s) do you use?

This used to be an easy question to answer. I grew up playing in D6 tuning (a, d, f#, b) with a low A string like all students of the Doane ukulele method. It wasn't until my late-teens that I started to fool around with other tunings. Nowadays I travel with four ukes: one with a high 4th string and another with a low 4th string, the Beltona slide which I tune either a, d, g, b or g, c, f, a depending on the song, and the beansprout banjo which I always have in high 4th tuning.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both low 4th string tuning (a.k.a. "linear" tuning) and high 4th string tuning (a.k.a. "re-entrant" tuning); otherwise I'd just travel with one ukulele and forget about it. Re-entrant tuning is great for vocal accompaniment, jazz chording, and campanella-style playing (à la John King). Linear tuning is better for ensemble melody picking, classroom instruction, lead picking and solo arrangements that involve moving bass lines. Different tools, same tool kit.

He has covered it in more detail elsewhere, on his classroom books website if I recall correctly...

/edit:
https://ukuleleintheclassroom.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1236615316
https://ukuleleintheclassroom.com/faq.htm#tune
https://ukuleleintheclassroom.com/tunings.htm
\edit

I read somewhere that D tuning proponents tend to prefer D tuning specifically on sopranos because of the sound that it gives, concerts and tenors seem to work as well in C tuning for some of said proponents.

It's up to you though, whatever you're comfortable with (hey, E chords may be playable!) and whatever sounds best to you. (So long as it's in tune,) there's no wrong way.

What I would do is give in to UAS and get another uke and tune it for D :)

The only disadvantage I can think of for D tuning is that resources for it will likely be slim compared to C, but chordie has a D-tuning feature which nullifies most of that (the guitar to uke portion anyway), so it'll mostly be working with uke tabs that will be a pain.

Last edited:
I think a lot of canadians play in d.

If I'm wrong I apologize but c tuning is traditional hawaiian tuning and during the twenties players went to d for some reason. Then there was a push for c tuning which has become more popular now. I could be completely wrong however but I'm on blackberry and having hard time researching it.

A lot of the ukulele books and sheets of music of the 1920s and 30s were arranged for "D" tuning. There were lots of uke jazz and popular artists of the day using that tuning. "C" tuning was also used. Some people believe that it was a matter or where your vocal range was that often dictated where you played. Other believed that it was a matter or playing with "the band" that dictated tuning. Perhaps Bill Tapia or Lyle Ritz can enlighten us on that subject.

Last edited:
I cant say really why its this way. But I belive the books where made in D tuning. And people who where important when it came to playin the ukulele plaid it in D tuning.

But is it not just the states who tunes in C almost? Is not most of the other places tuning in D? But I agree it pisses me off. Because when I hang here most tabs and stuff like that are for C tuning.

Sometimes when you have a song in the key of C and you want to sing it a little higher, say in the key of D. Just capo the second fret and use the same "shapes" as you did in the key of C. G-C-E-A becomes A-D-F#-B.

Top Bottom