Found an Odd Source of Good Uke Music

Citrus

Reaction score
heh, I know some of you will automatically turn your nose up at this one: Weird Al

I've always thought that everyone needed a couple funny songs and if you sift through enough of weird al's songs I'm fairly sure that not only will you find something, there'll always be a tab for it because he always uses well known songs. Of course plenty of his stuff is stuff that just isn't for me or most people.

I had originally taken his idea of using 50 cent's candy shop in a comedic way by just singing the song straight (it's completely removes any sexual connotations on uke) but at the end of "the hangover" they have a slowed down version of the song at the end and I got pretty annoyed by the idea that most people would think I got the idea from such an obvious place, but weird al provided me a new song too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVi0paZlfI
just play a couple stanzas from the original, then switch over and its automatic laughs

Just a passing thought, if anybody else has some good/lesser-known source I'd love to see them

ED: I should mention Pandora.com is great way to find new music too, no guaranteed tabs but it finds music similar to your tastes and you can listen for free

Last edited:
Pandora was great. Till last week when you they put a limit on how much music you can listen to in a week.

Pandora was great. Till last week when you they put a limit on how much music you can listen to in a week.

Technically, they put a limit on how much much you can listen to for free. (You can get a "pass" for the rest of the month for 99 cents or something. You spend that much for just three songs on a bar jukebox.)

Basically, the $#*& music companies were breathing down their neck. It was either switch to a system like that, or go away entirely. I think they made the right choice.

JJ

Spotify is awesome for listening to music free :)

Technically, they put a limit on how much much you can listen to for free. (You can get a "pass" for the rest of the month for 99 cents or something. You spend that much for just three songs on a bar jukebox.)

Basically, the $#*& music companies were breathing down their neck. It was either switch to a system like that, or go away entirely. I think they made the right choice.

JJ

It was a little bit of a kick in the...:eek: but I went ahead and shelled out the $36 for a year subscription to Pandora. I love Pandora and felt that $3 a month wasn't bad for such a good service.

I also do the Rhapsody thing at $15 a month...I don't have any more CDs...:)

Need to check out Spotify...:)

Weird Al also is GREAT live - one of the funniest, most entertaining shows I've ever seen. Check him out if he comes to your town!

Weird Al is is extraordinarily good at what he does. No one else even comes close. To turn your nose up at Weird Al is a move made in ignorance or arrogance.

Funny but I actually learned "American Pie" for two reasons. 1. I like the original 2. Weird Al's Star Wars version is hilarious. I have been a fan of Weird Al since the Dr. Demento days. Bonus Points if anyone even knows who Dr. Demento is...

Weird Al is a terrific talent. He hit the ground running with "Another One Rides the Bus" in the way-back days and hasn't relented. I'm not hip enough anymore to know the current original songs he parodies.

Related note, my daughters are 13 and 15. They are familiar with all the '70s and '80s rock standards, but only with the Weird Al lyrics.

YES! If you get the chance, go see him in concert. The band is tight, the show moves right along, and Al will be up there for two hours. Well worth it.

Funny but I actually learned "American Pie" for two reasons. 1. I like the original 2. Weird Al's Star Wars version is hilarious. I have been a fan of Weird Al since the Dr. Demento days. Bonus Points if anyone even knows who Dr. Demento is...

Shaving cream, be nice and clean, shave everyday and you'll always look keen. :p

I used to live for Sunday nights (which is when our local station ran the Dr. Demento show.

Top Bottom