Makapili Ukuleles in Europe

thomas

Reaction score
So Ive been making some ukuleles here in Italy. I guess it is time that I tell some people about it.

Hopefully some good people in Europe will have access to some great ukuleles without the customs, big shipping and other hassles of buying across the ocean.

I took them to the Aquila festival in Vicenza and got lots of positive feedback about the sound quality of construction and looks of the insturments I had. And a few suggestions that have been taken into acount. Hopefully one of the members here that played them will chime in with his thoughts.

Comments ranged from "loud" to "what a beatiful tone".

I am going to be selling the first ones at a very reasonable price to get the insturments in the hands of some people that can spread the good word.

I will be selling new tenors and concert sized pineapples for 600 Euros each.

The hinoki soundboards will be an extra 100 Euros as I only have a few and Im pretty sure I will never see these again.

I have a "second" in the marketplace here now and will add some more soon.

I have a few "seconds" that were some of the first ukes I made, they have great sound, look good and are solidly built. They have some small issues, mostly cosmetic. I will say everything I know that is wrong with any insturment, because I want people to know what they are getting and be hapy with it. No bad surprises. These will be sold for 215 Euros each.

I have been using reclaimed, salvaged and sustainably harvested wood whenever possible. Most of my ukes fall 100% into this category.

I have been trying to get a website up, but my "friend" who I was going to trade an ukulele for the work never did anything. Ill figure something out about that soon. For now there is a blank page at www.makapili.com.

Anyway, Ill go take some pictures and put them up here soon, so everyone can know what they look like at least.

Take care,
Thomas

I hope this is the right section to post this in???...

Last edited:
I love the lines of your pineapple very nice proportions:
attachment.php

I didn't know you were the maker. What is Hinoki a type of softwood like Spruce? I wish shipping wasn't so steep to halfway around the world.
Most people don't know this but I LOVE pineapple 'ukuleles. :D

Uncle, Hinoki is a very close relative of port orford cedar, both are actually species of cypress though. So, yes it is considered a softwood. To me it has a very good tone, but that is just me. The highs are high and the lows are low, the note separation is very clear, to me. It grows in Japan and Taiwan. It is rare, port orford cedar is actually sold as a substitute for hinoki because hinoki is so rare. I got really lucky to get my hands on a few billets and a few billets of Acacia Confusa. Needless to say Acacia isnt Hawaiian Koa, but it still makes wonderful looking and sounding ukuleles.

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of some "seconds".

Sorry for the not so professional photography.

Most are seconds because of multiple scratches on the soundboard, some have other minor issues as well.

the one pictured by itself is already in the UU marketplace.

Attachments

• sbd-2nds.jpg
    sbd-2nds.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 65
  • back-2nds.jpg
    back-2nds.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40
  • face-1.jpg
    face-1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of the insturments I am finishing now.

These are not "seconds".

The figure eight shapes are all tenors and the pineapples are all concerts.

I will eventually make some sopranos and figure eight shape concerts.

Attachments

• sbd-goods.jpg
    sbd-goods.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 39
  • back-goods.jpg
    back-goods.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 24
  • fret-goods.jpg
    fret-goods.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 26
I have to agree with Ahnko, the proportions of the pineapple are beautiful. The contrast of the rosewood fret board and bridge really bring out the beauty of the Hinoki body.

Request to Thomas

Can you use youtube or similar so that I can hear your work.

Wow, they are gorgeous.

Unfortunately I saw your thread in the marketplace too late and had already spent the money. But I'll definitely keep an eye on you, might pick up one of your beauties later down the road.

Keep up the good work! :nana:

unfortunately I dont have a video camera. I have a microphone / headset that I could try to record with. Besides the fact that my playing is really lousy.

These first insturments at a low price will hopefully go to someone who plays well and has a video camera.

Wow!
Ther are beatiful! but I spendt all my Uke money on a Mainland concert though :) Maybe later.
My burthday is in the end of august... Maybe that can finance something :)

Very nice instruments .. I'm really interested. It is a pity I live so far away and will not have oportunity to try them.

Keep up the good work !

http://www.box.net/shared/8jqd5ece90

can someone tell me if this works. It is a sound sample of the Pineapple in the marketplace, the one that is pictured alone above.

Please excuse my substandard playing and recording gear.

If this works maybe Ill try to record a tenor later.

Thanks for the report and nice words Uncle.

Paw, thanks for the kind words too.

The pineapple in the sound clip has aquila strings, although I think I prefer worth clears. I change my mind almost daily on which one I think is better. All of my ukes are either sturng with worths or aquilas. some worth browns and some worth clears.

Ill try to record a tenor this afternoon.

Take care

Last edited:
Very nice looking 'ukuleles, great work. :cool:

Thanks for the nice words pithaya.

So here is a sound clip and picture of the Acacia tenor I just put in the UU marketplace.

Again excuse my shabby playing and poor sound recording gear.

http://www.box.net/shared/3jrus4t6eq

Attachments

• tenor-acacia-side.jpg
    tenor-acacia-side.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 10
I thought I would add a sound sample and a picture of the last of the "seconds" I will have for a while. It is a Hinoki top tenor. I am also going to put this in the marketplace here. The strings are Worth Clear Mediums.

Again, Sorry to torture you with my shabby playing.

Sound file:
http://www.box.net/shared/ua8z7tiogn

Take care,
Thomas

Attachments

• HT-side.jpg
    HT-side.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3
  • HT-back.jpg
    HT-back.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom