Mall of america

bt93

Reaction score
Hey I was jus wondering if anyone knows of any stores in mall of america (Minnesota) that sells ukuleles. I have been on a trip for the past month without a uke and were going on a trip to this mall. Any help is greatly appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge, no.

The Mall of America is a bit of a consumer wasteland. It's kind of the same as four average malls jumbled together with all the same stores and a few Minnesota specific ones. It is not the droid you are looking for.

In the area Willie's sells Fleas and Flukes and Martins and may have a National or two and some misc. ukes. (there was a rumor that they were looking to become a Kamaka dealer, but I don't go there much.) The staff while quite well versed in guitar stuff, generally knows squat about ukes though. (there are a couple of folks who are friendly and play, but...)

Groth has some Lanakai & Makala & I think, Ohanas.

If you're going to be in and around town on a Tuesday evening, you're welcome to come and hang with the Twin Cities Ukulele Orchestra and strum along if you want. (if you let me know ahead of time I can bring along an extra if you don't have one to play.)

The Podium near University of Minnesota get Koalohas in sometimes.

Oh, and Groth also has Flukes, Fleas, Oscar Schmidt, and I think I've seen a Kala there as well. It's not too far from Mall of America if you're in the area.

Don't forget Homestead Pickin' Parlor if you want an Oscar Schmidt. They've got a few. They're in Richfield and probably a 15 minute drive from the airport or twenty from downtown Mpls.

Lanark is a tad harsh about the mall. It's the closest mall to my house so I go there. I take my Apple lessons there. Just you can't buy a uke there.

Malls in general

Had to take my car in for service at the dealership and I was within walking distance of the Glendale Galleria. They've added an outdoors "Americana" theme I think they called it. The whole thing takes up several city blocks of shopping with trolley cars and everything.

There's not a single dedicated music store there. The only place to even buy CDs was Barnes & Noble or Target. :(

Sorry Sukie, I'd have to agree with Lanark on MOA...

Another place is Guitar Center, they have some cheap models their however the brand names escape me. They usually have one or two on hand, usually sapranos or concerts.

Please take Lanak's offer up, they have been tolorating my presence there for the last few months. They are a fun and friendly group!

Sorry Sukie, I'd have to agree with Lanark on MOA...

Must be a girl thing. Although Paul likes to go there also. Yes, it's consumer heaven -- not that that is a good thing -- but it's a really interesting place, imo. Let's face it, it's just a HUGE mall -- with an aquarium, amusement park, light rail station, restaurants and bars and an Apple store! But if you live 7 miles from it like I do, it's workable. Don't forget the people watching. And the people come from all over the world. Why? No clue, but I find it fun.

I bought a yo-yo at MoA once.

A Yo-Yo MoA?

yoyoma300.jpg

MoA = Mall of America, and should have an at between the Yo-Yo and MoA parts...

The Mall has to be pretty close to 20 years old now and I can count the number times I've been there on one hand. It is out of the way for me so about the only reason I would go would be a special event or a store that is only there... Haven't found that yet.

The Amusement Park (formerly called Camp Snoopy) is a real novelty especially in the winter. I would put the rides on par with the ones at the county fair but that is just me.

Haven't seen the Aquirium, that might be worth the trip.

I can see the people watching might be good.

I suppose its the rent, but it really surprises me that they don't have more diverse stores than they do....

As for the Uke's, the FYE there has some instruments if I remember right, and I know Best Buy just put one of their music stores in there. Guitar Center only carries martin and ovation ukes as of last I knew.

As for MoA, Just throwing it out there that I find it crazy that the place is still open, half of it's stores are empty now.

The Mall of America is just a really huge mall. It's got the same stores as any other mall. It's just bigger. It's a palace to everything vapid, processed and superficial in modern life. It's consumer culture in its purest distilled form. And I can think of no other place that inspires in me quite the same level of antipathy and homicidal urges than that place. There's almost nothing in the entire place that I could imagine spending money on and even then I also know that I could get it somewhere else for probably a lot less. I hate malls. Going there is an act of desperation.

But yeah, as I remember from one of those stir crazy days of winter when the lovely wife and I needed to get out of the house and walk around we went there and the Best Buy had a really awful Cordoba with unfinished fret ends that actually cut me and unstretched strings that had never been tuned in the life of the poor instrument. And they wanted $279 for it.

But yeah, as I remember from one of those stir crazy days of winter when the lovely wife and I needed to get out of the house and walk around we went there and the Best Buy had a really awful Cordoba with unfinished fret ends that actually cut me and unstretched strings that had never been tuned in the life of the poor instrument. And they wanted $279 for it.

But did you buy it????:anyone::shaka::cool:

As for MoA,... half of it's stores are empty now.

No they aren't. Unless they closed in the past 2 weeks, which I find hard to believe.

I'm not defending the MOA, but I could. If you like to shop -- and millions of people seem to like it -- then it's a great place. I worked at a little shop there one Christmas season and I met people from all over the world who came to the "megamall" to shop. If you don't like it there, don't go there. but if your wife likes to go there, let her and go to the car place they have there. Go have a drink (or 2) while she shops. Take your kids to the aquarium.

Just don't go there expecting to buy an ukulele because it just isn't gonna happen.

If anyone from UU comes to the Mall, send me a PM and I'll come meet you. Heck, I'll even pick you up at the airport and take you there. But you could just take the light rail.

So, guess I was defending the Mall of America. Can't help it.:)

The Mall of America is just a really huge mall. It's got the same stores as any other mall. It's just bigger. It's a palace to everything vapid, processed and superficial in modern life. It's consumer culture in its purest distilled form. And I can think of no other place that inspires in me quite the same level of antipathy and homicidal urges than that place. There's almost nothing in the entire place that I could imagine spending money on and even then I also know that I could get it somewhere else for probably a lot less. I hate malls. Going there is an act of desperation.

You should check out some of the malls in Vegas. Makes the megamall seem like a big dollar store. :p

I think I might have tried to play that Cordoba once. I couldn't get it tuned though.

No they aren't. Unless they closed in the past 2 weeks, which I find hard to believe.

I'm not defending the MOA, but I could. If you like to shop -- and millions of people seem to like it -- then it's a great place. I worked at a little shop there one Christmas season and I met people from all over the world who came to the "megamall" to shop. If you don't like it there, don't go there. but if your wife likes to go there, let her and go to the car place they have there. Go have a drink (or 2) while she shops. Take your kids to the aquarium.

Just don't go there expecting to buy an ukulele because it just isn't gonna happen.

If anyone from UU comes to the Mall, send me a PM and I'll come meet you. Heck, I'll even pick you up at the airport and take you there. But you could just take the light rail.

So, guess I was defending the Mall of America. Can't help it.:)

I like the megamall too. I take my wife and kids there a lot. On most trips I never buy anything there, but I do enjoy walking through it a couple of times for some reason. Once in a while you come across something interesting.

i was succesful in my quest to play a ukulele at the mall of america. there was only one store that had musical instruments and it was BEST BUY. (never thought they would sell instruments let alone ukuleles there) it was great. first time i had played in 8 weeks and i really enjoyed it (even though it was a crappy uke). thanks

Top Bottom