PDA

View Full Version : Who loves ghs strings?

Ahnko Honu
07-23-2009, 07:36 PM
SO many 'ukuleles nowadays comes from the factory with GHS strings. I'll usually give them a chance and play them for as long as I can bear but usually wind up switching them to another brand. My new S&J pineapple came with a set, and I'm already ready to switch probably to Worths since I have 3 sets. I'm not a fan of GHS strings, to my ears they have not brought the best out of any of my 'ukuleles. Anyone here like GHS strings preferring them to other brands even for one particular 'ukulele you own? Just curious if it's just me and my ear that feels this way. Mahalo for input. :worship:

Bratset
07-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Mine came with that, didn't bother chaning for a while since it was a cheap Uke I didn't think strings were going to make such a big diffrence, but when I strung it with D'Addarios two days ago! it's a new Uke!
I don't like GHS :p

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-23-2009, 07:44 PM
they are good, no complaints.

Bratset
07-23-2009, 07:48 PM
they are good, no complaints.

Just to clarify my post a bit, so no one misunderstands :)
It's nothing wrong with GHS strings in my opinion, there are just simply better strings for me :)

gotrice415510
07-23-2009, 07:55 PM
they are probably the worst serious ukulele strings that can be bought...

reapefer
07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I start with GHS, as a noob they were quite good but then I try aquila and worth on my first uke and ..... I throw GHS to the trash.

salukulady
07-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Most of my ukes are low end Ohanas and Lanikais. First thing I do when I get one is change to Worths. But my daughter bought a Kala and we haven't changes hers because it sounds good with GHS strings. Go figure.

Pippin
07-23-2009, 08:15 PM
The only GHS strings I like are baritone.... but I prefer D'Addario strings on all my baritone ukes.

HoldinCoffee
07-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I have a Vineyard solid mahogany longnecked soprano that came with GHS and I've kept 'em on. They seem to last for a long time without wearing out and they have a nice percussive sound to them. I have a set of ProAtres and a se of Worth and a set of Aquila sitting in the case, but honestly, I have no intention of changing 'em until they wear out, which sounds like a long time away!

BrotherUke
07-24-2009, 01:01 AM
I had a cheap laminated ukelele that came with GHS strings. It was my first uke so I didn't really have anything to compare them to. I took the advice of someone and put on a set of Martin clears and they really woke that instrument up. The GHS strings were dull compared to the Martins on that particular instrument.

GHS strings seem to be a very popular and early upgrade target.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Just to clarify my post a bit, so no one misunderstands :)
It's nothing wrong with GHS strings in my opinion, there are just simply better strings for me :)

i wasnt referring to ur post.

Bratset
07-24-2009, 01:29 AM
i wasnt referring to ur post.

I knew :) Just wanted to clarify it :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-24-2009, 02:08 AM
clarify ur post by quoting mine..??

Thumper
07-24-2009, 02:20 AM
I don't like them at all. I've heard them on ukes in music stores, and found them quiet and dull.

KC8AFW
07-24-2009, 03:29 AM
My Lanikai came with Aquilas. In order to get free shipping, I needed to spend 1 more dollar...so I bought a set of GHS blacks. I broke a string, so I strung up the GHS blacks. After about the secong day of this, I put the old Aquilas back on...leaving just the one GHS (replacing the string I broke) and promptly ordered a couple of sets of Aquilas from MGM. I just didn't like the sound of the GHS strings.

buddhuu
07-24-2009, 04:48 AM
I'm afraid GHS strings haven't worked for me.

They came on my Makala dolphins, and were nowhere near powerful enough to drive the laminate tops. They also sound a little weak on my solid mahogany soprano and tenor ukes.

D'Addario's were also disappointing on my mahogany tenor.

Aquilas and Worths both do it for me. Great strings.

YMMV, of course. :)

haole
07-24-2009, 05:13 AM
If it's true that Kamaka strings are just rebranded GHS strings, then they don't suck that badly. ;) I switched to Worths from the stock Kamaka strings on my soprano, but the strings that came with it weren't bad. It was still my favorite soprano in the store.

But I haven't been too impressed with the GHS strings on Oscar Schmidt and other cheaper ukes. There's a reason why MGM and a few other sellers swap out the stock strings for Aquilas on laminate ukes.

mealfrog41
07-24-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm probably the only person on Earth that thinks this but.... I replaced my stock GHS strings with Aquilas and was disappointed.. Yes, I prefer GHS strings to Aquilas. This is not to say that I love GHS, more that I really don't like the ever-heralded Aquilas.

Ukeffect
07-24-2009, 07:35 AM
I replaced all the GHS strings that came on my ukes...am I the only one who feels they are about as firm as limp spaghetti! The seemed to hold tune ok, but compared to my other strings they are kind of dull and lifeless in comparison to say Aquila's, Worth's, Ko'olau golds, or freemont! Speaking of strings, has anyone found Orcas with a high G? I'm dying to try them, but /I just don't do low G tuning.

rossjr
07-24-2009, 07:38 AM
I still have them in my Mele Concert 6 string, I have a couple of other sets for it but I try to stay away from them. I also kept them in my Tangi Mango Tenor for the better part of a year, but I replaced them with Aquilas, what a difference.

So here's my question, let's say GHS gives these strings to manufacturers, would you have paid $10 more for your Uke if it had Aquilas or Worths in them instead? Also if they make the instrument sound that much better, why wouldn't manufacturers put those in instead?

bbycrts
07-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm probably the only person on Earth that thinks this but.... I replaced my stock GHS strings with Aquilas and was disappointed.. Yes, I prefer GHS strings to Aquilas. This is not to say that I love GHS, more that I really don't like the ever-heralded Aquilas.

I think finding the right combination of instrument and strings is important - I had a Pono pts-e for a while that the original owner had switched to Aquilas from the original Ko'olaus. I found that to my ear the Ko'olaus sounded much better and I switched back to them - same story on all three Ponos I owned. On the other hand, my Kanile'as came with Aquilas and sound so good that I have no desire to change strings - for now at least. Combining the right instrument with the strings that fit it best may yield some unexpected combinations - even a uke that sounds best with GHS strings!

13down
08-28-2012, 10:52 AM
I like GHS more than any other for baritones... for the low D and G strings, at least. GHS is the only company that makes bronze-wound baritone strings, which I like much better than the silver-wound variety.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Woohoo, a resurrected GHS strings thread! Thanks, 13down.

I love the GHS strings on my Kiwaya KS-0P. Great feel, mellow tone. Perfect match for this uke and my playing. Glad to hear their baritone strings are great, too.

UkuleleSprinter
08-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I used to use GHS strings on all my ukuleles, back when you could only buy Kamaka, GHS, or Martin nylon strings. Now I only use them on my G-String Koa Tenor. They sound great and are very loud, plus I enjoy the whirl of the wound C string when sliding.

I tried Aquila wound C string, but it doesn't last very long. And Ko'olau Golds are just too thick and dull for me (have yet to try their newer stuff).

chrimess
08-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I am sorry but I really don't like the dark ones with the plasticky feel at all, have played on solid hog as well as Koa ukes and I thnk they are horrible. Like them as cheap choices on electric bass and guitar but on ukes I am a snob.

13down
08-29-2012, 04:54 AM
I love the GHS strings on my Kiwaya KS-0P.
Haven't tried them on non-baritones, but I think I will!

So glad this thread got resurrected... had no idea there'd be so many GHS fans!

PS I am in no way affiliated with GHS. Maybe I should try to work something out with them, though, hah.

mm stan
08-29-2012, 06:02 AM
LIke stated already, on some of my ukes I prefer GHS, as they have the right tone I am looking for to match a couple of my ukes......love them too...even with the more choices now days...

Freeda
08-29-2012, 06:19 AM
They're made in my town, in fact my ex husband worked there briefly.

I admit, I went by the UU concensus and immediately switched anything that didn't come with Aquila, to Aquilas as soon as possible. However now I'm starting to branch out and try other brands and experiment more.

PedalFreak
08-29-2012, 07:53 AM
I remember reading somewhere that IZ used GHS strings on his Martin uke.

hoosierhiver
08-29-2012, 08:43 AM
They work great in my hairbrush.

manoakid
03-06-2015, 07:49 PM

My Ohana tenor came with GHS strings. I thought they were a little hard so I changed to Worth strings and lost way too much volume. The Worths were "pretty" sounding but didn't project enough on the Ohana. I next tried a pair of Aguila which have more projection than the Worth and still retain a rounded sound. But I still miss my GHS strings which were more percussive and brighter. I thought they sounded better for picking on the Ohana which is somewhat of a dark use (TK-20) whose sturdy build some say dampens it's resonant qualities. So maybe that's why I like the GHS strings on it, to give it a brighter, louder presentation. If you watch this string comparison, it's pretty easy to see the GHS strings are the loudest of the strings since they're the set you can most clearly hear reverbing off the walls. So I don't think GHS strings are bad and all and maybe are the best for ukes you want to project a little more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gp-x4t_jWA

drbekken
03-06-2015, 10:30 PM

I have said this many times: GHS strings are underrated. I like them a lot, both on the baritone and the soprano. I have never understood why some people dislike them so much.

JonThysell
03-07-2015, 02:17 AM
Didn't/doesn't GHS have issues with knock-offs? I thought, like Aquila, they run into the problem of cheap knock-offs giving customers a bad impression.

Down Up Dick
03-08-2015, 05:58 AM
Well, I just changed the GHS strings on my Ohana 6 string to Aquilas. The Aquilas have a red low A string, but it replaced the GHS wound string a long time ago.

I've had a little bit of trouble fretting the six string, and I couldn't seem to barre it cleanly. So now I'll see if there's any difference. The new strings look better than the black to me any way. The high C string is thin as a hair; I'm waiting for it to snap.

Brand new pretty white strings. I got no where to go but up. :old:

Freeda
03-08-2015, 06:13 AM
Didn't/doesn't GHS have issues with knock-offs? I thought, like Aquila, they run into the problem of cheap knock-offs giving customers a bad impression.

Agreed. I wonder if the people who think they got GHS on their uke when it was sent from the factory, actually maybe got something else?

Their new line with Chee and Maisel sounds promising.

Down Up Dick
03-08-2015, 06:33 AM
My Ohana tenor came with GHS strings. I thought they were a little hard so I changed to Worth strings and lost way too much volume. The Worths were "pretty" sounding but didn't project enough on the Ohana. I next tried a pair of Aguila which have more projection than the Worth and still retain a rounded sound. But I still miss my GHS strings which were more percussive and brighter. I thought they sounded better for picking on the Ohana which is somewhat of a dark use (TK-20) whose sturdy build some say dampens it's resonant qualities. So maybe that's why I like the GHS strings on it, to give it a brighter, louder presentation. If you watch this string comparison, it's pretty easy to see the GHS strings are the loudest of the strings since they're the set you can most clearly hear reverbing off the walls. So I don't think GHS strings are bad and all and maybe are the best for ukes you want to project a little more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gp-x4t_jWA

I liked the Aquilas (3) best and the Gold ones (4) second best. :old:

Gillian
03-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Sarah Maisel gave me a set of GHS Ukulele Custom Shop "Artist Curated" strings (Craig's re-entrant set). I thought GHS strings were the cheap strings you'd find on cheap ukes so I just put them aside.

In my search for the best strings for my custom Compass Rose, I've tried Aquilas, Worths, Southcoasts, Oasis, Savarez, D'Addarios and PHDs and thought they all sounded dull, especially the C and low G strings. Martins sounded better than the others. Last week I tried new GHS strings and I think I've found the best strings for my CR. They play well and settle in quickly. I'm definitely going to try them on my other ukes.

Jon Moody
03-09-2015, 03:58 AM

Maybe? You have to remember that with exception to the wound strings used in ukulele sets, nearly everyone (Aquila being the exception I know of) is buying them from one or two places that deal with nylon extrusion. Same with fluorcarbon; there are a very small handful of companies in the world that make that material.

But in terms of giving customers a bad impression, I think a lot of it is due to the fact that at one time, we had a gigantic OEM marketshare (which is largely controlled by price), which included a LOT of low end, production ukuleles. And as many comments on this - and other - thread has suggested, a lot of it could assumption, in that a cheap ukulele must have cheap strings. Also, that was a time when black nylon strings were basically all the ukulele population had. So, if another company started getting OEM business by offering a cheaper black nylon string, we were at a point that people assumed all the black nylon strings were GHS, so even if they weren't, we'd receive calls from angry customers that the strings broke, sounded dull, etc..

Their new line with Chee and Maisel sounds promising.

That was a lot of fun to work with Craig and Sarah. Since I view strings in a completely different manner now (a ukulele set is not an A string, E string to me, but a .022 tie end, .028 tie end), it was pretty easy to come up with options that would work for their specific needs, especially with getting that Bari-Tenor set dialed in.

Sarah Maisel gave me a set of GHS Ukulele Custom Shop "Artist Curated" strings (Craig's re-entrant set). I thought GHS strings were the cheap strings you'd find on cheap ukes so I just put them aside.

In my search for the best strings for my custom Compass Rose, I've tried Aquilas, Worths, Southcoasts, Oasis, Savarez, D'Addarios and PHDs and thought they all sounded dull, especially the C and low G strings. Martins sounded better than the others. Last week I tried new GHS strings and I think I've found the best strings for my CR. They play well and settle in quickly. I'm definitely going to try them on my other ukes.

Thanks for the words, and giving us a try. Glad they're working for you; did you get Craig's NEW set (ground nylon, white) or the older set (titanium-nylon, purply color)?

SteveZ
03-09-2015, 04:13 AM
Have not found anything functionally wrong with GHS ukulele strings. Have found that only Aquila and GHS hold up well to my picking and both sound fine. My current preference is white strings on a ukulele (it's a "vision" thing), so Aquila has gotten the bulwark of my recent ukulele string business. That being said, if GHS made white string sets (have only found black and clear nylon), then GHS would be on everything. I do keep spare sets of GHS for the times I want something different than white, and the local independent music store stocks GHS.

Gillian
03-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the words, and giving us a try. Glad they're working for you; did you get Craig's NEW set (ground nylon, white) or the older set (titanium-nylon, purply color)?

I have the purple ones. I hope they are still being made!

Jon Moody
03-09-2015, 06:33 AM
I have the purple ones. I hope they are still being made!

They are! We use those purple ones in a couple different sets, so even though Craig doesn't use them currently, we still offer them. Your local store can order them under the product number CU-STR.

Down Up Dick
03-10-2015, 04:46 AM
Have not found anything functionally wrong with GHS ukulele strings. Have found that only Aquila and GHS hold up well to my picking and both sound fine. My current preference is white strings on a ukulele (it's a "vision" thing), so Aquila has gotten the bulwark of my recent ukulele string business. That being said, if GHS made white string sets (have only found black and clear nylon), then GHS would be on everything. I do keep spare sets of GHS for the times I want something different than white, and the local independent music store stocks GHS.
I agree, Steve, the Aquilas seem a bit easier to fret, and I like white better too. Now, I've got Aquilas on all my Ukes, and I'm satisfied with that. Maybe, when I become a real Uker, I'll go through all that string changing and sampling madness.

When one is as fumbly and plunky as I am, a string is a string is a string . . . :old:

UkerDanno
03-10-2015, 04:59 AM
I agree, Steve, the Aquilas seem a bit easier to fret, and I like white better too. Now, I've got Aquilas on all my Ukes, and I'm satisfied with that. Maybe, when I become a real Uker, I'll go through all that string changing and sampling madness.

When one is as fumbly and plunky as I am, a string is a string is a string . . . :old:

good to know I'm not the only fumbly one around here! ;-D

Jon Moody
03-10-2015, 07:57 AM

I'm not a painter by any means, but that doesn't stop me from changing the color of the walls in the kitchen to give it a completely different look/feel. That's roughly the same difference with swapping to a different type of string on an acoustic instrument; you might surprise yourself and find a different type that works better with your uke. Then again, you might find out that you prefer the original.

Never hurts to try, and while some people think that changing strings is an expensive endeavor, in comparison, ukulele strings are at the low end of the string set price.

drmosser
03-10-2015, 08:49 AM
I have tried GHS's Maisel Artists Low G Tenor set on my Kamaka White Label Tenor and I have to say they are the best sounding, thus far, on that particular instrument. I fall into the camp that believes there is an optimal set of strings for every ukulele, and I'm going to find them or die trying. :)