Who loves ghs strings?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
SO many 'ukuleles nowadays comes from the factory with GHS strings. I'll usually give them a chance and play them for as long as I can bear but usually wind up switching them to another brand. My new S&J pineapple came with a set, and I'm already ready to switch probably to Worths since I have 3 sets. I'm not a fan of GHS strings, to my ears they have not brought the best out of any of my 'ukuleles. Anyone here like GHS strings preferring them to other brands even for one particular 'ukulele you own? Just curious if it's just me and my ear that feels this way. Mahalo for input. :worship:

Mine came with that, didn't bother chaning for a while since it was a cheap Uke I didn't think strings were going to make such a big diffrence, but when I strung it with D'Addarios two days ago! it's a new Uke!
I don't like GHS :p

they are good, no complaints.

I start with GHS, as a noob they were quite good but then I try aquila and worth on my first uke and ..... I throw GHS to the trash.

Most of my ukes are low end Ohanas and Lanikais. First thing I do when I get one is change to Worths. But my daughter bought a Kala and we haven't changes hers because it sounds good with GHS strings. Go figure.

I have a Vineyard solid mahogany longnecked soprano that came with GHS and I've kept 'em on. They seem to last for a long time without wearing out and they have a nice percussive sound to them. I have a set of ProAtres and a se of Worth and a set of Aquila sitting in the case, but honestly, I have no intention of changing 'em until they wear out, which sounds like a long time away!

I had a cheap laminated ukelele that came with GHS strings. It was my first uke so I didn't really have anything to compare them to. I took the advice of someone and put on a set of Martin clears and they really woke that instrument up. The GHS strings were dull compared to the Martins on that particular instrument.

GHS strings seem to be a very popular and early upgrade target.

Last edited:
I don't like them at all. I've heard them on ukes in music stores, and found them quiet and dull.

Last edited:
My Lanikai came with Aquilas. In order to get free shipping, I needed to spend 1 more dollar...so I bought a set of GHS blacks. I broke a string, so I strung up the GHS blacks. After about the secong day of this, I put the old Aquilas back on...leaving just the one GHS (replacing the string I broke) and promptly ordered a couple of sets of Aquilas from MGM. I just didn't like the sound of the GHS strings.

I'm afraid GHS strings haven't worked for me.

They came on my Makala dolphins, and were nowhere near powerful enough to drive the laminate tops. They also sound a little weak on my solid mahogany soprano and tenor ukes.

D'Addario's were also disappointing on my mahogany tenor.

Aquilas and Worths both do it for me. Great strings.

YMMV, of course. :)

If it's true that Kamaka strings are just rebranded GHS strings, then they don't suck that badly. ;) I switched to Worths from the stock Kamaka strings on my soprano, but the strings that came with it weren't bad. It was still my favorite soprano in the store.

But I haven't been too impressed with the GHS strings on Oscar Schmidt and other cheaper ukes. There's a reason why MGM and a few other sellers swap out the stock strings for Aquilas on laminate ukes.

I'm probably the only person on Earth that thinks this but.... I replaced my stock GHS strings with Aquilas and was disappointed.. Yes, I prefer GHS strings to Aquilas. This is not to say that I love GHS, more that I really don't like the ever-heralded Aquilas.

I replaced all the GHS strings that came on my ukes...am I the only one who feels they are about as firm as limp spaghetti! The seemed to hold tune ok, but compared to my other strings they are kind of dull and lifeless in comparison to say Aquila's, Worth's, Ko'olau golds, or freemont! Speaking of strings, has anyone found Orcas with a high G? I'm dying to try them, but /I just don't do low G tuning.

I still have them in my Mele Concert 6 string, I have a couple of other sets for it but I try to stay away from them. I also kept them in my Tangi Mango Tenor for the better part of a year, but I replaced them with Aquilas, what a difference.

So here's my question, let's say GHS gives these strings to manufacturers, would you have paid $10 more for your Uke if it had Aquilas or Worths in them instead? Also if they make the instrument sound that much better, why wouldn't manufacturers put those in instead?

Top Bottom