Ukes on a plane!!!

PihSant

Reaction score
So, I'm going to be moving back to the mainland and I have to figure out what to do with my uke. It's a KoAloha tenor in a hardshell case with the palm tree on it? I think it's a fairly common case because I've seen quite a few around. Anyways, my question is, has anyone traveled on an airplane with a tenor sized uke in this case as a personal item not a carryon item. I'll already have a carryon bag, so I want to try to pass my uke as a personal item. I don't want to have to mail it, and I'm sure not going to check. Any help would be appreciated. Aloha :shaka:

I think I seen other UU members writing about they carry the uke as personal item. All you have to say in security is "well its not like its a bomb". :D

Actually, your biggest problem isn't baggage handlers... it's Samuel L. Jackson:

ukesonaplane.jpg

JJ

So, I'm going to be moving back to the mainland and I have to figure out what to do with my uke. It's a KoAloha tenor in a hardshell case with the palm tree on it? I think it's a fairly common case because I've seen quite a few around. Anyways, my question is, has anyone traveled on an airplane with a tenor sized uke in this case as a personal item not a carryon item. I'll already have a carryon bag, so I want to try to pass my uke as a personal item. I don't want to have to mail it, and I'm sure not going to check. Any help would be appreciated. Aloha :shaka:

Under TSA regs, the musical instrument would not be a personal item; it would be a musical instrument, so you could have it along with a carry-on bag and a personal item like a laptop.

I've recently traveled by air with a tenor uke. My case fit in the overhead bin on each flight without problem, so you should be fine as long as you aren't the last person on the plane.

I just got back two weeks ago from hawaii and I carried on a bag and two ukes(concert and tenor). Had no problem. Put both underneath the seat (wife was next to me). On one flight the flight attendant even put one in their secret closet.

Don't fly with guava jelly. They will confiscate that.

I think I seen other UU members writing about they carry the uke as personal item. All you have to say in security is "well its not like its a bomb". :D

I'm pretty sure if you want to get on the plane you shouldn't say that. Don't even THINK the word bomb. TSA folks have absolutely no sense of humor -- at least on the job.

P.S. when are you coming to Minnesota? When does school start? Don't forget to look up Eddie when school starts. He's in the Ukulele Orchestra. He can fill you in on the ukulele scene here.

I flew on four different carriers there and back. Hawaiian, air tran, american and one other. I flew to hawaii with one uke and had no problems. Tsa in vegas were punks. Howlin hobbit has a link to the tsa form that states instruments can be carried. You will be fine.

It'll be fine as a personal item. Sometimes they'll even let you on with a personal item, a carry-on, AND a musical instrument, but it's not worth counting on that. If you have a hardshell case it'll fit nicely in the overhead and it'll be fine. Heck, I've put ukes in gig bags into the overhead. (Stuffed the gig bags with clothes first!)
Sopranos and concerts can usually fit under the seat in front of you, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they have the window seat.

I've never had any trouble carrying my tenor with me as a personal item. In fact, the TSA agents always ask me a million questions about my uke. One time the agent watching the xray screen stopped the belt and called his buddy over and said, "What IS that?!?" His friend proceeded to tell him that it was a ukulele and also told him the history of the instrument, what it sounds like and that he had two himself. Then they asked me to play for them. I politely declined as to not miss my flight. :)

I just got back from Honolulu, flying Hawaiian Airlines, even did some island hopping. Wife and I had 3 Ukes...........Tenor, Tenor 6-string, and concert, in addition to other carry on things. No problems.

TSA folks have absolutely no sense of humor -- at least on the job.

no kidding. I flew out of a small airport early one morning. I was literally the only non-employee in sight, but as I was passing through security the two guards told me straight faced that I had been "randomly selected" for a full search. I thought they were joking and laughed...then got a simultaneous pat down and lecture about security being no joke. weak sauce.:(

Actually, your biggest problem isn't baggage handlers... it's Samuel L. Jackson:

ukesonaplane.jpg

JJ

Can I put this on a T-shirt? It's awesome! First thing I thought of when I saw the this threads title. :rofl:

All I'm saying is American Airlines has knuckle-walking Neanderthals (even a caveman CAN'T do it) baggage handlers, and customer service which sux like a Hoover. :mad:

I flew Northworst (NWA) and Delta and had no issues both times I did it. The first time was my Tenor in a gig bag, the second was a concert in a hard case. My only suggestion is get on the plan as early as possible, you'll have to put it in the overhead compartment, nothing can be in the aisle, even if you are in a window seat. Then watch it like a hawk while people are loading that compartment.

Some people have nothing but contempt for musical instruments and think their case of pineapples are more important. People also have a hard time distinguishing between a $300+ Ukulele and $20 sovenier.

You can place the uke under your seat but u need two seats. Flying with someone makes that easier.

The fa folk are generally happy to accomodate the uke. Just ask them.

Top Bottom