Sonny D Tenor

histrummer

Reaction score
I am looking for my first tenor uke and have been offered a Sonny D Tenor for $400. Is this a good deal? I have read that Sonny D no longer makes ukuleles but that he was a reputable builder and player back in the day. Does anyone have any information on Sonny D?

Are they comparable to the high end hawaiian Ks?

Anyone played a Sonny D and loved it/hated it?

I've never played one, but the ones I've seen were very nice looking instruments.

I've got a purpleheart/spruce Sonny D that I paid over $700 for. It sounded pretty decent but I would say it's at about the same level as a Pono. The workmanship is not very good as you can see a lot of roughness if you look inside the soundhole. I know Sonny's workshop is not humidity controlled, and over the last winter (Minnesota), the back seam separated a little bit, the binding started de-laminating at a couple of spots, and a crack developed on the spruce soundboard. While the problems on mine could be an isolated incident, to me the uke is not on the same level as the Hawaiian K's at all. To some (not me), the sound might be close, but the workmanship is pretty far off from the K's.

I think Sonny D ukes have their good points, but I would only recommend it if it's at a good price, you live in a humid climate, and you can try before you buy.

I have played a sonny D tenor and it was awesome. to me the craftmanship was on point. I had a curly koa tenor. We did have to sell it due to hard times, but I regret it. Dont buy on a whim though,really know that you want it,meaning,play it and ask ??. I would recommend it though.maybe you can give an offer?

I am looking for my first tenor uke and have been offered a Sonny D Tenor for $400. Is this a good deal? I have read that Sonny D no longer makes ukuleles but that he was a reputable builder and player back in the day. Does anyone have any information on Sonny D?

Are they comparable to the high end hawaiian Ks?

Anyone played a Sonny D and loved it/hated it?

Aloha histrummer,

Were did you read that sonny d does not make ukuleles? I think somebody made that up.

He still makes them and i personal believe his ukuleles are the most high performance ukes out there. His son is also a bad ass ukulele maker as well he has been around ukuleles his whole life, also sonny d is the the one that puts his heart and dedication in his ukes unlike many other companies that are out there just to mass produce and sell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom