PDA

View Full Version : Is This Still Considered UAS?

Ahnko Honu
07-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Is it still considered UAS if I got a 'ukulele in trade? Before my industrial back injury in early 2004 (3 back surgeries later still recovering) I turned wood bowls on a lathe. I collected all my own wood. I accumulated quite a stash of native and non native logs as raw material. Anyways on talking with local luthier Mr. Emil Bader about 'ukuleles he showed interest in my wood stash. I was able to trade one of my logs for a Guava soprano 'ukulele so it did not cost me a penny. Is this still considered UAS since even though I didn't pay I still acquired? I believe this is one of only half a dozen Guava wood 'ukuleles in existence. She sounds very similar to Koa due to similar density of the wood. I'm very happy today!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/P1010217-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/P1010218.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/P1010219.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/P1010220.jpg

PS. That's my green floral pattern lavalava it rests on, I love a love a my lavalava.

Bratset
07-25-2009, 12:07 PM
WOW!
Awesome Uke!
I think it still should be considered UAS though :) since you still aquire the Uke :)

DeG
07-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes, it is still UAS..but what a score...that is awesome. But, I wouldn't go around telling people that you gave someone wood, in exchange for a uke. They may get the wrong idea...:D

Bratset
07-25-2009, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't go around telling people that you gave someone wood, in exchange for a uke. They may get the wrong idea...:D

Hahahah :rotfl::rotfl:

Craig
07-25-2009, 12:24 PM
"Is it still considered UAS if I got a 'ukulele in trade? "

If you have to ask...then yes...;) = Sounds like something my wife would say...:)

Ahnko Honu
07-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes, it is still UAS..but what a score...that is awesome. But, I wouldn't go around telling people that you gave someone wood, in exchange for a uke. They may get the wrong idea...:D

How about "my big log"? Oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

Bratset
"Is it still considered UAS if I got a 'ukulele in trade? "

If you have to ask...then yes...;) = Sounds like something my wife would say...:)

haha something like what I heard in a episode of "Friends"
"I didn't buy it.. they were giving them away on the store in exchange for.... money..." :p

PattyD
Guava = pretty!!

I think I'd have to learn Guava Jelly if I had a Guava uke!

If you had to buy, wouldn't it be UBS?

PattyD
07-25-2009, 12:29 PM

I see nothing wrong with that idea! :smileybounce:

ukulelearp
07-25-2009, 12:29 PM
That is some very cool looking wood.

Ahnko Honu
07-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Guava = pretty!!

I think I'd have to learn Guava Jelly if I had a Guava uke!

If you had to buy, wouldn't it be UBS?

Whenever I try to justify a 'ukulele purchase my wife tells me "UBS".:rolleyes::D;)

Jim X-S
07-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome otherwise known as UAS. First cases appeared during the late 19th century although not formally defined until the 20th century. As time progresses more and more cases are coming to light.

Primary symptom is any desire for a Ukulele. Secondary symptomology may include but not limited to: Gazing forlornly at Ukulele instruments, longingly looking in Ukulele shop windows, spending lots of time looking at internet sites that start with "K"s, spending excessive time on Ukulele forums, searching YouTube with the word "Ukulele" in the search box, even looking closely at dry wood piles with knife in hand and glue bottle handy can be an indicator. Willingness to trade children, spouses, or pets for Ukuleles are strong indicators that imminent action is needed. No pattern has been discerned in the strength at which UAS initially strikes. At this time no known permanent relief for this syndrome has been discovered. Lessening of symptoms sometimes occurs for awhile when another Ukulele has been acquired. But studies have shown that in 100% of the cases the syndrome will reappear.

Some sufferers of this syndrome have learned to work with it they include but are not limited to: George Formby, Jr; Arthur Godfrey; Don Ho; George Harrison; Israel Kamakawiwoʻole; William H. Macy; and Jake Shimabukuro.

Although please note this is just not an adult disease. It has been shown to be striking those in childhood, pre-teen, and teen ages as well with a remarkable and increasing frequency.

~quoted from Jim's Medical and Musical dictionary.

Bratset
07-25-2009, 12:46 PM

Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome otherwise known as UAS. First cases appeared during the late 19th century although not formally defined until the 20th century. As time progresses more and more cases are coming to light.

Primary symptom is any desire for a Ukulele. Secondary symptomology may include but not limited to: Gazing forlornly at Ukulele instruments, longingly looking in Ukulele shop windows, spending lots of time looking at internet sites that start with "K"s, spending excessive time on Ukulele forums, searching YouTube with the word "Ukulele" in the search box, even looking closely at dry wood piles with knife in hand and glue bottle handy can be an indicator. Willingness to trade children, spouses, or pets for Ukuleles are strong indicators that imminent action is needed. No pattern has been discerned in the strength at which UAS initially strikes. At this time no known permanent relief for this syndrome has been discovered. Lessening of symptoms sometimes occurs for awhile when another Ukulele has been acquired. But studies have shown that in 100% of the cases the syndrome will reappear.

Some sufferers of this syndrome have learned to work with it they include but are not limited to: George Formby, Jr; Arthur Godfrey; Don Ho; George Harrison; Israel Kamakawiwoʻole; William H. Macy; Jake Shimabukuro

Although please note this is just not an adult disease. It has been shown to be striking those in childhood, pre-teen, and teen ages as well with a remarkable and increasing frequency.

hahaha aweasome!

Ahnko Honu
07-25-2009, 12:47 PM
ARGH I'm terminal, I got 2 'ukuleles in less than a week. :eek:

Bratset
07-25-2009, 12:52 PM
ARGH I'm terminal, I got 2 'ukuleles in less than a week. :eek:

Woah!
Nice, got my second Uke yesterday! whish I could afford more :p I can't put it down, even my old cheap one I could not put down :)
Since I got my first one 7 months ago I have played everyday, litteraly! It has not gone one day without me playing at least one hour! Just love it!

ukerazy
07-25-2009, 12:55 PM
B-e-a-utiful, I want one!

kailua
07-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Nice score Ahnko! :bowdown: That guava is kicking the okole beautiful! The only cure for your UAS is "intervention". :D

bbycrts
07-25-2009, 01:49 PM
You know full well yourself that this is indeed UAS. You weren't really asking...you really just wanted a chance to show off your new acquisition (and good on you for that! It is beautiful!).

By the way - money may not have changed hands, but you traded an asset for something, so you still paid for it - just in wood instead of cash!

bbycrts
07-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey Uncle - a question I have. I think Emil's ukes are beautiful except for one thing - why does he make the fretboard so long but not put frets down past the 12th? It's a little visually jarring to me...is there a reason for it, or is it just his preferred style?

dnewton2
07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey Uncle - a question I have. I think Emil's ukes are beautiful except for one thing - why does he make the fretboard so long but not put frets down past the 12th? It's a little visually jarring to me...is there a reason for it, or is it just his preferred style?

Not wanting to speak for anyone but I did notice on Emil's Concert and Tenor ukes (Pics here. (http://www.globalcreationscart.com/category_1102.html)) do have frets past the 12th fret, on the fretboard over the body. So I would say it is a soprano thing. But still it does look a little odd on the soprano ukes to have a fretboard without frets.

BrotherUke
07-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Ahnko,
The workmanship is beautiful. The joinery is superb. I love the book matching on the face.

itsme
07-25-2009, 04:06 PM
That guava wood is just gorgeous! :)

bbycrts
07-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Not wanting to speak for anyone but I did notice on Emil's Concert and Tenor ukes (Pics here. (http://www.globalcreationscart.com/category_1102.html)) do have frets past the 12th fret, on the fretboard over the body. So I would say it is a soprano thing. But still it does look a little odd on the soprano ukes to have a fretboard without frets.

Thanks for pointing that out! Still, I notice that the fretboard goes past the last fret - I'm sure it's probably his preferred style...

I love the skinnyboy tenors - I like a narrow-waisted uke a lot. Does he make skinnyboy concerts?

Ahnko Honu
07-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Mahalo for the comments, I'm rather taken by color and grain of the wood too. This Guava wood is from the White Guava tree. Most Guava in Hawai'i is the pink flesh variety but the white Guava has white inner flesh with fewer seeds and less tart, very tasty fruit my favorite variety of Guava for consumption.
As far as the soprano fretboard design I believe that is just Mr. Bader's trademark for his sopranos, you can always identify his sopranos by this feature.
The stock GHS strings gotta go, they just don't do this 'ukulele justice. The A strings in particular sounds tinny in C chord. Probably restring with Worth clears or browns not sure which to try but I have both on hand.

pithaya9
07-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Congats on the new uke Ahnko. I agree that is some very nice color and grain.

Jim X-S
07-25-2009, 04:48 PM
It is a beautiful Ukulele!

Have a Great Day,
Jim

thomas
07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
nice ukulele. So what kind of log did you trade for this one.

Ahnko Honu
07-25-2009, 11:44 PM
A rare native wood called KOU (not Koa). I feel he actually got the better end of the deal but I like the guy. ;)

07-26-2009, 09:00 AM
A rare native wood called KOU (not Koa). I feel he actually got the better end of the deal but I like the guy. ;)

very uneven trade. i hope he making you one other `ukulele. :D

let us know how the buggah sound when you swap strings. guava is harder wood, no?

pithaya9
07-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Ahnko

Do you know if Mr. Emil Bader will be making any Guava Pineapples? Would love to have one of those.

Thanks
Jack

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Ahnko

Do you know if Mr. Emil Bader will be making any Guava Pineapples? Would love to have one of those.

Thanks
Jack

I believe he is currently out of stock of Guava wood but I will double check price and availability. He got his last Guava wood recovered from a neighbor's fallen tree.

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 01:23 PM
very uneven trade. i hope he making you one other `ukulele. :D

let us know how the buggah sound when you swap strings. guava is harder wood, no?

He deffinately got the better end of the deal even with the Milo log I gave him for him to make my super concert pineapple but with my bum back I don't see myself turning wood any time soon, and I like Mr. Bader, we hit it off real good, and he's a fisherman like me so we talk story about fishing and 'ukulele, plenty in common. The Kou log not real huge still worth good money, He first said 2 Kou logs for the Guava 'ukulele and I said NO WAY, but I let him take the one. I hope he charges more for his first Kou 'ukulele than even his Koa one's the Kou having such an important historic and cultural significance here.

Guava I think is more hard than Koa. I turn billy clubs on my lathe using Guava for deep sea fishing, buggah is pa'a. Still debating between Worth browns, and clears, what you think better?

BrotherUke
07-26-2009, 01:30 PM
I know that there is a subtle difference in tone between the two but I find the brown strings too distracting esthetically. I think the clears look better on a lighter wood. The browns take my eye away from it. I'd go with the clears myself.

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 02:07 PM
I know that there is a subtle difference in tone between the two but I find the brown strings too distracting esthetically. I think the clears look better on a lighter wood. The browns take my eye away from it. I'd go with the clears myself.

Mahalo for the input, I'll try the Worth clears first, and put the other half on my Tangi Gekko. :shaka:

Jimmy
07-26-2009, 02:17 PM
One of a few in existence? Lucky you. Would the kou make a nice uke then? I suppose he's testing that now :P

haolejohn
07-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Guava uke...hmm....just when I thought I was cured...

DeG
07-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Guava uke...hmm....just when I thought I was cured...

Did you see the webpage? He has another one there for sale...:)

Lori
07-26-2009, 03:26 PM

... At this time no known permanent relief for this syndrome has been discovered. Lessening of symptoms sometimes occurs for awhile when another Ukulele has been acquired. But studies have shown that in 100% of the cases the syndrome will reappear.

NO CURE?? :wallbash: no cure... :(

Oh well... at least it's fun! :music:

Love the look of the guava wood! :love:

–Lori

bumblemark
07-26-2009, 04:15 PM
hate to sound like a noob but what's UAS?

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 05:31 PM

Actually two. ;)

http://www.globalcreationscart.com/product_4811.html
http://www.globalcreationscart.com/product_4803.html

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
hate to sound like a noob but what's UAS?

"Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome"

An unquenchable desire to acquire 'ukuleles.

haolejohn
07-26-2009, 06:12 PM

Why did I go to the website? How about that Tima something wood? I'll just have to save up some money or sale a kidney. The prices are unbelievable.

Dirka
07-26-2009, 11:55 PM
http://www.globalcreationscart.com/product_4806.html

:love::love::love:

Wow! I want one.

07-27-2009, 03:57 AM
He deffinately got the better end of the deal even with the Milo log I gave him for him to make my super concert pineapple but with my bum back I don't see myself turning wood any time soon, and I like Mr. Bader, we hit it off real good, and he's a fisherman like me so we talk story about fishing and 'ukulele, plenty in common. The Kou log not real huge still worth good money, He first said 2 Kou logs for the Guava 'ukulele and I said NO WAY, but I let him take the one. I hope he charges more for his first Kou 'ukulele than even his Koa one's the Kou having such an important historic and cultural significance here.

Guava I think is more hard than Koa. I turn billy clubs on my lathe using Guava for deep sea fishing, buggah is pa'a. Still debating between Worth browns, and clears, what you think better?

a super concert milo? maika`i! pineapple, mo bettah! 2 logs for 2 `ukulele sounds good on paper, but still yet the kou's value pretty high with its rareness. more rare than a guava `ukulele. that is a native species there and seemingly not introduced even by our kupuna. because of talking with you, Uncle, I've been starting to read about la`au in Hawai`i. mahalo for that lead.

i no can recommend strings, because i've never heard a guava `ukulele! plus my mind is all kapakahi now. sometimes i like the fluoros so i bust out my koaloha, but then next time i take out my kanile`a with d`addarios. me personally, if i no can play an instrument, i go by color. if koa is more light then going be more bright. so i'd tone it down with the browns. and vice versa, but thats me. of course, i'm wrong 50% of the time too lol.

i t'ink when i go back home, us three and my bruddah-in-law we go fish then. my braddah no play, but somebody gotta watch the bells. (since i no catch i'll gaff or net)