Is This Still Considered UAS?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
Is it still considered UAS if I got a 'ukulele in trade? Before my industrial back injury in early 2004 (3 back surgeries later still recovering) I turned wood bowls on a lathe. I collected all my own wood. I accumulated quite a stash of native and non native logs as raw material. Anyways on talking with local luthier Mr. Emil Bader about 'ukuleles he showed interest in my wood stash. I was able to trade one of my logs for a Guava soprano 'ukulele so it did not cost me a penny. Is this still considered UAS since even though I didn't pay I still acquired? I believe this is one of only half a dozen Guava wood 'ukuleles in existence. She sounds very similar to Koa due to similar density of the wood. I'm very happy today!

P1010217-1.jpg

P1010218.jpg

P1010219.jpg

P1010220.jpg

PS. That's my green floral pattern lavalava it rests on, I love a love a my lavalava.

WOW!
Awesome Uke!
I think it still should be considered UAS though :) since you still aquire the Uke :)

"Is it still considered UAS if I got a 'ukulele in trade? "

If you have to ask...then yes...;) = Sounds like something my wife would say...:)

Yes, it is still UAS..but what a score...that is awesome. But, I wouldn't go around telling people that you gave someone wood, in exchange for a uke. They may get the wrong idea...:D

How about "my big log"? Oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

"Is it still considered UAS if I got a 'ukulele in trade? "

If you have to ask...then yes...;) = Sounds like something my wife would say...:)

haha something like what I heard in a episode of "Friends"
"I didn't buy it.. they were giving them away on the store in exchange for.... money..." :p

Guava = pretty!!

I think I'd have to learn Guava Jelly if I had a Guava uke!

If you had to buy, wouldn't it be UBS?

Yes, it is still UAS..but what a score...that is awesome. But, I wouldn't go around telling people that you gave someone wood, in exchange for a uke. They may get the wrong idea...:D

I see nothing wrong with that idea! :smileybounce:

Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome otherwise known as UAS. First cases appeared during the late 19th century although not formally defined until the 20th century. As time progresses more and more cases are coming to light.

Primary symptom is any desire for a Ukulele. Secondary symptomology may include but not limited to: Gazing forlornly at Ukulele instruments, longingly looking in Ukulele shop windows, spending lots of time looking at internet sites that start with "K"s, spending excessive time on Ukulele forums, searching YouTube with the word "Ukulele" in the search box, even looking closely at dry wood piles with knife in hand and glue bottle handy can be an indicator. Willingness to trade children, spouses, or pets for Ukuleles are strong indicators that imminent action is needed. No pattern has been discerned in the strength at which UAS initially strikes. At this time no known permanent relief for this syndrome has been discovered. Lessening of symptoms sometimes occurs for awhile when another Ukulele has been acquired. But studies have shown that in 100% of the cases the syndrome will reappear.

Some sufferers of this syndrome have learned to work with it they include but are not limited to: George Formby, Jr; Arthur Godfrey; Don Ho; George Harrison; Israel Kamakawiwoʻole; William H. Macy; and Jake Shimabukuro.

Although please note this is just not an adult disease. It has been shown to be striking those in childhood, pre-teen, and teen ages as well with a remarkable and increasing frequency.

~quoted from Jim's Medical and Musical dictionary.

Last edited:
Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome otherwise known as UAS. First cases appeared during the late 19th century although not formally defined until the 20th century. As time progresses more and more cases are coming to light.

Primary symptom is any desire for a Ukulele. Secondary symptomology may include but not limited to: Gazing forlornly at Ukulele instruments, longingly looking in Ukulele shop windows, spending lots of time looking at internet sites that start with "K"s, spending excessive time on Ukulele forums, searching YouTube with the word "Ukulele" in the search box, even looking closely at dry wood piles with knife in hand and glue bottle handy can be an indicator. Willingness to trade children, spouses, or pets for Ukuleles are strong indicators that imminent action is needed. No pattern has been discerned in the strength at which UAS initially strikes. At this time no known permanent relief for this syndrome has been discovered. Lessening of symptoms sometimes occurs for awhile when another Ukulele has been acquired. But studies have shown that in 100% of the cases the syndrome will reappear.

Some sufferers of this syndrome have learned to work with it they include but are not limited to: George Formby, Jr; Arthur Godfrey; Don Ho; George Harrison; Israel Kamakawiwoʻole; William H. Macy; Jake Shimabukuro

Although please note this is just not an adult disease. It has been shown to be striking those in childhood, pre-teen, and teen ages as well with a remarkable and increasing frequency.

~quoted from Jim's Medical and Musical dictionary.

hahaha aweasome!

ARGH I'm terminal, I got 2 'ukuleles in less than a week. :eek:

Woah!
Nice, got my second Uke yesterday! whish I could afford more :p I can't put it down, even my old cheap one I could not put down :)
Since I got my first one 7 months ago I have played everyday, litteraly! It has not gone one day without me playing at least one hour! Just love it!

Nice score Ahnko! :bowdown: That guava is kicking the okole beautiful! The only cure for your UAS is "intervention". :D

You know full well yourself that this is indeed UAS. You weren't really asking...you really just wanted a chance to show off your new acquisition (and good on you for that! It is beautiful!).

By the way - money may not have changed hands, but you traded an asset for something, so you still paid for it - just in wood instead of cash!

Hey Uncle - a question I have. I think Emil's ukes are beautiful except for one thing - why does he make the fretboard so long but not put frets down past the 12th? It's a little visually jarring to me...is there a reason for it, or is it just his preferred style?

Hey Uncle - a question I have. I think Emil's ukes are beautiful except for one thing - why does he make the fretboard so long but not put frets down past the 12th? It's a little visually jarring to me...is there a reason for it, or is it just his preferred style?

Not wanting to speak for anyone but I did notice on Emil's Concert and Tenor ukes (Pics here.) do have frets past the 12th fret, on the fretboard over the body. So I would say it is a soprano thing. But still it does look a little odd on the soprano ukes to have a fretboard without frets.

Top Bottom