Ever get the urge...

itsme

Reaction score
...to practice, get everything set up, get your axe tuned, then your rude neighbors from three houses down decide to start blasting their south-of-the-border "oompah oompah" crap to where you can't hear yourself think, let alone play, and you have to abandon your practice session before you even get started?

Grrr! I don't mean to sound disparaging about the Mexican music, I'd be just as miffed no matter what they were playing, since it's imposing on my ability to enjoy doing what I want in my own house.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can't say I've had that problem. But if your peace is being disturbed you could ya know... ask them to turn it down.

But if your peace is being disturbed you could ya know... ask them to turn it down.
Wouldn't do any good. They do this a lot. Call the cops and they'll turn it right back up five minutes after the cops leave. Did I mention that they're rude? :rolleyes:

Call the cops again. The cops will get tired of coming out and eventually your neighbors will be cited (hopefully).

i had that problem at my old house, these kids my age thought they were some rock band and annoy the whole street..

yes, i am the whole street :rolleyes:

...to practice, get everything set up, get your axe tuned, then your rude neighbors from three houses down decide to start blasting their south-of-the-border "oompah oompah" crap to where you can't hear yourself think, let alone play, and you have to abandon your practice session before you even get started?

Grrr! I don't mean to sound disparaging about the Mexican music, I'd be just as miffed no matter what they were playing, since it's imposing on my ability to enjoy doing what I want in my own house.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Maybe you should move out of LA

Ukes are inherently portable. Take your uke to some more peaceful place, and play your heart out.

I used to have an upstairs neighbor that would crank up the tunes. Sometimes I'd just start playing and singing along.

Loudly. :p

Seriously though, you could take this as an opportunity to learn a bunch of Ranchera music by ear. The nice thing about a lot of that "oom-pah" stuff is that the chord progressions are fairly basic. Instead of it interfering with your practice, it would become your practice.

JJ

Well, moving is not an option, and I really don't have any place peaceful nearby to go to.

I used to have an upstairs neighbor that would crank up the tunes. Sometimes I'd just start playing and singing along.

Loudly. :p

Seriously though, you could take this as an opportunity to learn a bunch of Ranchera music by ear. The nice thing about a lot of that "oom-pah" stuff is that the chord progressions are fairly basic. Instead of it interfering with your practice, it would become your practice.

JJ
You just reminded me about a next-door neighbor we had a few years ago. He was a classically trained french horn player (quite good, actually) and he'd be practicing and an ice cream truck would drive by and he'd jump right into whatever the truck was playing. "Turkey in the Straw," "Music Box Dancer," you name it, he could play it on the spot. :p

He also had a duet partner over frequently that played the accordion. They favored some middle-eastern sounding type of music. Really odd combination. :cool:

Do they not annoy your other neighbours too? Band together and confront them maybe.

Alternatively: Put fruit in postboxes, window openings, cars, whatever floats your boat.

Ukes are inherently portable. Take your uke to some more peaceful place, and play your heart out.

Amen, was just going to suggest the beach. :shaka:

JJ

Personally I LOVE Mexican music especially played on a Jarana which is a Mexican 'ukulele. Grew up in the 60s listening to "Trio Los Panchos" so very nostalgic for me. I guess don't taste as good when rammed down the throat by a neighbor though. :rolleyes:

Well, moving is not an option, and I really don't have any place peaceful nearby to go to.

Sounds like it's time to start looking for that peaceful place. Seriously, if you really can't solve the problem of the neighbor on your turf, you need to search out a new place to play. Helplessly sitting around and stewing about things you can't change won't get you practicing again!

I will be honest with you. I am slightly afraid of these people. They have no regard for the law or being courteous. My car was egged once after I called the cops on them for one of their loud parties. May or may not have been related, but I certainly don't want my tires slashed or anything.

And the cops have too much real crime to deal with, so neighbor noise takes a back seat. There's a police helicopter circulating really low over the house as I type this.

I'm sure I'm not the only one bothered by the noise, but there is no HOA and rousting up the neighbors to confront them is not an option.

The beach is like 30 miles away and I'm not going there. Between the cost of gas, parking, time and other hassles, and the fact that I'm very light skinned and burn like crazy to begin with, the beach is not a destination of choice.

The fact is that I've lived here for close to 25 years. I resent the imposition of these "immigrants" who simply don't seem to understand integrating into their adopted country's culture and think that we should all just adapt to theirs and listen to their loud music for hours a day. :(

The fact is that I've lived here for close to 25 years. I resent the imposition of these "immigrants" who simply don't seem to understand integrating into their adopted country's culture and think that we should all just adapt to theirs and listen to their loud music for hours a day. :(

Wow. This gets me upset on so many levels. I shouldn't type anything right now.

The fact is that I've lived here for close to 25 years. I resent the imposition of these "immigrants" who simply don't seem to understand integrating into their adopted country's culture and think that we should all just adapt to theirs and listen to their loud music for hours a day

i could type and type and type.. last year i was an AP US History Teacher...

this photo is all the words i need... and it is more than 1000 of them..

map_us_acquisition.jpg

PS: i am Italian

if you don't understand the map or why i put it here.. come sit in my class and we can talk..

d

I will be honest with you. I am slightly afraid of these people. They have no regard for the law or being courteous. My car was egged once after I called the cops on them for one of their loud parties. May or may not have been related, but I certainly don't want my tires slashed or anything.

And the cops have too much real crime to deal with, so neighbor noise takes a back seat. There's a police helicopter circulating really low over the house as I type this.

I'm sure I'm not the only one bothered by the noise, but there is no HOA and rousting up the neighbors to confront them is not an option.

The beach is like 30 miles away and I'm not going there. Between the cost of gas, parking, time and other hassles, and the fact that I'm very light skinned and burn like crazy to begin with, the beach is not a destination of choice.

Not trying to be an asshole but that is the most Racist thing I've ever seen here in UU.

Top Bottom