An Eleuke!

Luna

Reaction score
Today I found a used eleuke for $110 (with a HoneyTone amp and a gig bag). And of course, UAS kicked in and reminded me that I'd never see something so interesting for so cheap, and I had to get it.

I think it's a low G string, because the tuner gets very tight when I get close to high G, and I'm afraid it'll break. Does anyone know if this is the case, or if I just need to push harder?

I'm not sure whether or not to name it Sirius (Harry Potter), Jayne or Zoe (Firefly). What do you think? If you have other suggestions, feel free to say so.

Where does one obtain eleuke strings?

Anyway, here are photos. It generally looks blacker than the photos show, and only looks brown in really bright light (like camera flashes).

IMG_2027-1.jpg

IMG_2024-1.jpg

IMG_2030-1.jpg

Last edited:
wow! Great find, congrats. Can't wait for the sound bite. :shaka:

Today I found a used eleuke for $110 (with a HoneyTone amp and a gig bag). And of course, UAS kicked in and reminded me that I'd never see something so interesting for so cheap, and I had to get it.

I think it's a low G string, because the tuner gets very tight when I get close to high G, and I'm afraid it'll break. Does anyone know if this is the case, or if I just need to push harder?

I'm not sure whether or not to name it Sirius (Harry Potter), Jayne or Zoe (Firefly). What do you think? If you have other suggestions, feel free to say so.

Where does one obtain eleuke strings?

Anyway, here are photos. It generally looks blacker than the photos show, and only looks brown in really bright light (like camera flashes).

IMG_2027-1.jpg

IMG_2024-1.jpg

IMG_2030-1.jpg

yeah thats low G, it looks bigger than the other strings (therefore lower) Is that a steel string?

Very nice! it's made me wonder if it's possible to convert a child's size electric guitar into a uke? :music:

yeah thats low G, it looks bigger than the other strings (therefore lower) Is that a steel string?

Thanks for your help. They're all steel strings. Are eleuke strings usually not steel?

Last edited:
thats one good buy for an eleuke
hope you have fun with it haha

Yours is an older electric ukulele...Some makers including Fender called them electric mandolins with only 4 strings...It is not an Eleuke as Eleukes have nylon strings and yours is a steel string instrument...It has a Kent pickup which makes me believe it to be an older Kent instrument...Are there any identifiers as to brand on the instrument?...Kent was a common brand in economical electric guitars and amplifiers back in the day, one of the then so-called cheap foreign imports...:)

It is strung with a low G string so tune that low G string back down to its normal pitch to avoid placing excessive tension on the neck...:)

That's a real nice find...Hope you enjoy it...I'll bet it sings through a cranked-up amp...:D

Regarding strings, I'd just get a set of ultra thin guitar strings (ask for a set of 9s) and use the high 4 out of the set...I like D'Adarrio...:D

Eleuke is a brand name, and that's not one, but it looks cool! If the G string on any uke is thicker than the C string, it's definitely low G, always. I'm envious.

One more thought...It looks like a ukulele with the fret spacing...Fender did make an electric mandolin with only 4 strings but the spacing on the frets was probably different than on this instrument...I vote that it is an older electric ukulele but with steel strings...Cool...I'm done now...:D

Are there any identifiers as to brand on the instrument?

Nothing but the pickup has any kind of marking or lettering. Thanks for your help.

Also, I thought Eleuke was the general term for electric ukulele. Didn't know it was a brand; thanks for setting me straight, SamWise.

Top Bottom