Wine Country 'Ukulele Festival

Elainede

Reaction score
If you haven't checked in to the Wine Country 'Ukulele Festival recently, now would be a good time to do so.

So far we've got Aldrine Guerrero, Moe Dixon, Brittni Paiva, Derick Paiva, James Hill, Ralph Shaw, Faith Ako, Steven Espaniola, Kimo Hussey, Dominator, Liko Puha, and Michelle Kiba either performing, giving workshops, offering private lessons, or all three.

While all the details haven't been finalized, here's a brief run-down:

On Friday afternoon (October 9) Brittni will be performing at a wine tasting and reception at Gaia Hotel and Spa in American Canyon. That evening there will be a Hula Party at Judd's Hill Winery in Napa where, among other things, we'll be collecting shoes for Soles4Souls.

On Saturday, October 10, the festival moves to Beringer Vineyards where there'll be performances on two stages, workshops, private lessons, kani ka pila, a Uke-Tube booth, Rapid Uke 101, the Ukulele Doctor, an international marketplace, a Hospitality Garden (we hope), and (possibly) a FleaMarket.

Saturday night the action moves to Flora Springs where we'll be joining their annual harvest party and lu'au--lots of fun, great entertainment, food and wine. Proceeds to benefit The Playing for Change organization.

Sunday morning, we'll have a food-wine-'ukulele pairing brunch at Miner Family Vineyards followed, later in the afternoon, by an 'ukulele film festival at the Cameo Cinema in downtown St. Helena.

And in the days preceding and following the festival we'll be getting our instructors into the local schools to drum up a little 'ukulele excitement, AND Ralph Shaw will be giving a special performance to the vets (and their caretakers) at the California Veteran's home in Yountville.

Registration details will be posted shortly, but in the meantime, we are still looking for sponsors and vendors. Just wondering how many of you might like to chip in a few bucks to make sure the "Hospitality Garden" happens?

I know you'll ask, so: Basically the "Hospitality Garden" will be a dedicated (and very beautiful) area on the grounds of the winery dedicated to festival attendees, a place where they can meet up, and play together, or just sit and practice. I've got the spot figured out, I just need a sponsor so we can provide some munchies and drinks.

So stay tuned and don't forget to subscribe so the information comes to you.

Elaine

Last edited:
So far we've got Aldrine Guerrero, Moe Dixon, Brittni Paiva, Derick Paiva, James Hill, Ralph Shaw, Faith Ako, Steven Espaniola, Kimo Hussey, Dominator, Liko Puha, and Michelle Kiba either performing, giving workshops, offering private lessons, or all three.

Say whaat? I wasn't aware... but that's cool. I'll play I guess hahaha

I have my older sis in San Jose, and I know she'd be thrilled to attend, maybe I can sell enough 'ukuleles to finance a visit. :)

You should try to come! If I can get enough help, I'd like to have an actual Flea Market at the festival where individual people can drop off their ukuleles, tell us what they want for them, and we'd try to sell 'em for them. What do you think?

I'm counting on it! But you need to send in a vendor application....Let me know if you need one....you know where to find me!

"That's what they're telling me! Looking forward to meeting you!"

I thought you WERE them!

Still, sounds like a fine event. Not sure about all the driving around, would prefer to stay in one location.

I am "them." I was referring to Aldrine's "people."

Bluke;181937Not sure about all the driving around said:
"Driving, driving. driving. Keep them ukester's driving." (Sung to the tune of Rawhide.)

You can ride a bike. Or just go to one event. It's actually a pretty unique opportunity for all of us and we're very happy to have the different venues (wineries) supporting us.

Time to check in on the festival web log again. We've posted the schedule for those of you needing to fill in your calendars:

www.winecountryukefest.com

Hope to see you there.

Just a quick question. We plan on going on Sunday, will vendors be at both locations, Berringer and Miners? Or will they be centrally located?

I'm glad you're planning on coming! However, vendors will only be set up at Beringer on Saturday.

Things are a little more spread out on Sunday and there will not be any vendors participating on that day.

Hope that answers your question.

Elaine

That's probably a good idea. If you're only going to do one day, Saturday would be the day to do it! But, the Hula Party at Judd's Hill will also be a blast and we have something special planned for the film festival.....decisions, decisions......

We've just announced another contest for the Wine Country Ukulele Festival. This time we're looking for a 30- to 60-second "commercial" that would encourage people to pack up their 'ukuleles and walk, ride, run, swim, or fly to the Napa Valley for the festival. Any of the information posted on the festival website www.winecountryuefest.com is fair game. Originality and humor (in good taste) rank highly. Clever parodies of popular and well-known songs get extra points, as does the subtle (or not-so-subtle) inclusion of "MusicGuyMike," who is donating the prize. Entries will be judged on originality, comments from viewers, and the number of views. The winner will receive a Kala KA-ST tenor ukulele with a hard shell case.

It’s up to you to upload your commercial to YouTube, then send us the link (you can leave it as a comment on the festival website) so we know where to look for it. Assuming it passes the first test (meaning, essentially, that it is suitable for all ages) we will then upload it to the Wine Country Uke Fest channel on YouTube and try to help you promote it. The deadline for posting is September 25 and the winner will be announced October 10, at the festival. (You need not be present to win.)

So give it your best shot, and good luck. We can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Elaine

Top Bottom