Custom ukulele in progress

Link

Reaction score
Mike Irving of Anchorage Alaska found me here on UU some time ago. We have the same last name, and both play uke. He added me to facebook and for a few months we've been chatting on there. He is a very talented ukulele maker who uses woods you don't see every day.

He is building me a custom 1 of a kind ukulele, with my choice of woods and specs! This thread will document the process with pictures.

If you're interested in having an ukulele made by Mike: zog1gig@msn.com also, for more pics of his awesome ukes, search facebook for Mike Irving in Anchorage, Alaska. He can also be seen on youtube with videos of some of his previous work.
www.youtube.com/zog1gig

He's also a UU member and has photo albums:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=10772

Here are the initial pictures:

Solid canarywood top with a white rosette. That grain is so nice, and there's not even any finish on there yet.

TOP1.jpg

Flamed maple sides.

TOPANDSIDES.jpg

Cocoboa trim, and faceplate for the headstock. Bicote on the left, which will be the fretboard wood.

faceofheadstock.jpg

More pictures as the project progresses.

Last edited:
interesting combo. what wood does canary compare to?
Yeah. He and I both enjoy contrasting wood choices a lot.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you from experience what canarywood could compare too, sound wise. I have only heard youtube clips and can't really make a determination that I'd want to stand by from just youtube audio. He is a UU member though, I wonder if he'll come share some knowledge?

Wow, COOL!
My grandmother was an Irvin; close enough? Same border clan, I think. ;)
I can't wait to hear that.

Close enough, you're family! Haha. You'll get to see it in person at the uke club!

hope it turns out great. sound clips from you or the builder asap.

As soon as that thing is in my meathooks, the soundfiles will be endless! Haha.

WOW beautiful grain patterns and colors, can't wait to see what Canary wood looks like with a finish on it. Using wood that is locally available always appeals to me. That's what makes my Waverly Street pineapple so special, and when I get around to ordering a MP pineapple it will be Walnut, and Redwood representing the woods of California. I also like non-traditional woods in instruments like Milo, Guava, etc. I have a custom tenor neck (super) concert Milo concert on order that I can hardly wait for. I look forward to all the progress reports on your interesting build, please keep us posted.

wow!
Beautiful!! hope it turns out great for you!

Yup still gonna get the SD CBU. Can't wait to see you jamming with your cigar box uke on the stickam jams, buddy!

Ahnko.. Guava and Milo huh. Never seen those used in an ukulele. I'm going to do some searches and check that out. Cool that you've got a super concer ton the way. I think super concert is the ideal, perfect ukulele size.

Last edited:
dang john you are gonna have such a nice collection of ukes ! a flea a mainland a sd cbu and a mike irving custom !!! lol im so jealous ! you better be rockin both of your customs on the mini jams ! are you gonna have a pickup in it ? i dont remember reading whether you are or not.

Very nice looking woods that are being used.

Check out Ahnko's new Guava soprano it's one beautiful uke.

Yep nic, gonna have a piezo soundboard pickup. He showed me how they sound and I'm super impressed. Very realistic acoustic sound. It was even plugged in to a regular guitar amp and sounded great.

Got an update already! He's working hard on this baby.

The neck is coming together quite nicely. That cocoboa faceplate... drool..

neck.jpg

And now for the money shot. Look at the top with one coat of sealer!

topwsealer.jpg

Hey Link, any contact info available? Or is he strictly private? Maybe someone else might be interested in ordering a custom. Find out if he wants to be added to our list of builders?

Top Bottom