cigarbox electric ukulele

jontom

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm desperately looking for a fully electric cigarbox tenor ukulele.
That's because I'm looking for that distorted sound and I got tremendous feedback everytime I apply that on my semi-acustic.

Any hints? I've been looking into some websites by now but nothing yet...

A solidbody uke such as: eleuke, something from Jupiter Creek, those new stagg solidbody ukes, or a risa solid would offer the least feedback for amplified, distorted stuff. If you still want it to sound like a uke, an eleuke would prob be your best bet, amazon.com still has some extremely discounted ones http://www.amazon.com/Eleuke-Solid-...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1248623407&sr=8-1 there a really good deal

Hey guys I'm desperately looking for a fully electric cigarbox tenor ukulele.
That's because I'm looking for that distorted sound and I got tremendous feedback everytime I apply that on my semi-acustic.

Any hints? I've been looking into some websites by now but nothing yet...

I've seen early video of Jake S. where he had stuffed his sound hole with wadded up paper - or cloth - to avoid feedback. I'm sure there are some comelier ways of achieving this.

My reply is going to be similar to Ukisociety, If you can open the cigarbox that you have, fill the body with something. That should take care of the Feedback issue. Maybe cut out a piece of foam that will fit inside the cigarbox, that you can put in when you wanna rock out, and remove when you wanna go acoustic.

Edit: Sorry, I re-read your initial post and I guess I assumed that your current uke is a cigarbox, although you didn't specifically say that...if it a regular uke, you could try one of these: http://www.lutehole.com/products.htm

Last edited:
actually I have a "normal" semi-acoustic ukukele. thanks for the hint about covering the sound hole... I might try that. I already gave a look to the eleuke and it looks nice... but what I'm really aiming now is a true electric sound with an humbucker and the appeal of a cigarbox. I'm feeling this need might be a little more "custom" than the actual ukuleles I've seen on the market.

What do you think? It's better to get an eleuke or try searching? Is there anybody interested in building anything like this?

I'm selling a Jupiter Creek solidbody electric, steel strings, Telecaster Bridge and pickup. Doesnt get anymore pure electric than that.

that could be my first choice but I'm actually looking for a cigarbox

maybe your better off asking someone in the luthier lounge to build one for you. I doubt you'll find lots of prebuilt cigarbox ukes with humbuckers in them

Why does it matter what the shape is if you're looking for a solidbody? Big Bo Diddley fan?

Top Bottom