PDA

View Full Version : Most Annoying Things You Hear When You Play

Citrus
07-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Probably just my playing! jk
I'm pretty sure some of these are universal but whenever I'm doing a show or just playing for friends a couple things always pop-up.

HOW CUTE! - This one probably crops up the most, and sure some of my stuff is angled on the cuter end for sure but when I'm playing some really technical heavy duty stuff I feel it's more than a touch condescending.

LOOK! IT'S A MINI-GUITAR It might be that I'm in middle Georgia, which is basically redneck Eden, but have they never heard of stringed instruments other than guitars?
There's a couple more things but I'll leave them for you guys to vent on.

cocohonk
07-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Most annoying things I hear when I play? The sound of my incompetence.

vahn
07-26-2009, 08:01 AM
YOU SUCK!

that one just hurts....

Or, after I play I'm Yours or something,

HEY PLAY[insert random top 40 hit]

Ukulele JJ
07-26-2009, 08:14 AM
"I don't know who you are, or how you got in here, but if you don't take that ukulele and leave my house, I'm calling the cops!"

JJ

HaileISela
07-26-2009, 08:15 AM
"i don't know who you are, or how you got in here, but if you don't take that ukulele and leave my house, i'm calling the cops!"

jj

lol !

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 08:19 AM
LOOK! IT'S A MINI-GUITAR It might be that I'm in middle Georgia, which is basically redneck Eden, but have they never heard of stringed instruments other than guitars?

I saw "Deliverance", they know their fiddles too. :D

I don't know but for some reason we don't get those comments here. ;)

Gcow55
07-26-2009, 08:34 AM
"the ukulele is not a real instrument"

"why not just get a guitar"

"do you pay 'tiptoe through the tulips'?"

Tanizaki
07-26-2009, 08:37 AM
"Free Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird!"

jazzuke
07-26-2009, 08:42 AM
"Oh, just like Tiny Tim!"

Perhaps I'll start another thread...best answers to idiots who think the uke was the sole province of Tiny Tim.

One of my personal favorites (this should bring the moderators running):

"Tiny Tim was a sotto-falsetto, big-toothed moron...I'm a musician who just got out of prison for murder".

Tanizaki
07-26-2009, 09:10 AM

Perhaps I'll start another thread...best answers to idiots who think the uke was the sole province of Tiny Tim.

"Tiny Tim was a sotto-falsetto, big-toothed moron...I'm a musician who just got out of prison for murder".

Tiny Tim was far from a moron.

wickedwahine11
07-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Buzzing from the open C and E strings if I use anything other than very thin flurocarbon strings like Worths. I'm too lazy (and scared) to take it to a luthier to fix, so I will probably bring it with me to Hawaii in December in the hopes that Kamaka can look at it themselves.

Myala509
07-26-2009, 09:21 AM
I agree buzzing is the worst I hear.

BrotherUke
07-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Oh... now I get why you were wearing that Hawaiian shirt! :mad:

puremarkska
07-26-2009, 09:29 AM
The sound of sirens. Unless I'm playing an early 90's rap song, in which case I'm like, "sweet!"

Ukeffect
07-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Something going.... SNAAAAAAP!! Gives me chills just thinking it! :eek::eek:

whetu
07-26-2009, 10:50 AM

To which you comply, by busting out a bic lighter and using it as a slide :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnX7wCpPOUs

Bluke
07-26-2009, 11:02 AM
A wrong note, or string buzz.

Pippin
07-26-2009, 11:06 AM

I don't know but for some reason we don't get those comments here. ;)

... and don't forget to squeel like a piggy.

Pippin
07-26-2009, 11:08 AM

I played that on a baritone and a friend told me that it was blasphemy. I grinned.

Tanizaki
07-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Awesome. :D

EricStetson
07-26-2009, 12:02 PM
I hear ya Citrus! I'm in Statesboro, GA right alongside you - it's less than an hour northwest of Savannah. As to the mini-guitar comment, I usually just ham it up and play along. I played a bit between acts at a local production of a French farce and I came on stage and said "I was going to play guitar for you folks...but it looks like someone put it in the dryer...oh well."

-Eric

haolejohn
07-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Deliverance took place in NE Georgia.

Citrus we are having a southeast ukers get together at end of august at sweetwater creek state park.

Luna
07-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Once someone yelled at me that they didn't "want to hear any [insert not family-friendly word] ukulele music!" I think I told him, "please works, too".

The best part was that I had stopped playing several minutes earlier, and was just holding it when I was screamed at.

haolejohn
07-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Hana Hou!!! J/K

I never get yelled at but i guess when you weigh 280 lbs and have tattoos all over your arms no one really wants to mess with you.

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Deliverance took place in NE Georgia.

Citrus we are having a southeast ukers get together at end of august at sweetwater creek state park.

:confused:

buddhuu
07-26-2009, 01:33 PM
The most annoying thing I hear when I play is my cr@p playing... :o

TinyJim
07-26-2009, 01:38 PM
"Are you going to be doing that much longer?"

bumblemark
07-26-2009, 04:12 PM
i'm the type of guy who takes their uke everywhere EVERYWHERE
if i could drag it around school i don't see why i can't drag it around the grocery story, barber shop, the mall, etc

but i HATE hearing
"Oh! can you play that one song... um, over the rainbow"
or
"Oh! can you play i'm yours!"

i used to love playing those songs... but after a while...

kinda lame how most people think ukulele are made only for playing ukulele songs

and it's weird but i got a few people call my uke a BANJO???

Luna
07-26-2009, 04:23 PM
and it's weird but i got a few people call my uke a BANJO???

I think I've gotten that at some point. I've also had a music teacher call it a mandolin... Twice.

snowcooley
07-26-2009, 04:35 PM

I thought this was going to be about all those terrible sounds I hear coming from my fingers, too. Like, recently, on the wound string on my tenor, I hear this gross scratch when I pick it with my nail sometimes. It drives me nuts. :P

itsme
07-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I hear "Knock off that racket and come to bed!" (I like to play late at night.)

ukulelearp
07-26-2009, 05:20 PM
My terrible singing!

haolejohn
07-26-2009, 06:06 PM
:confused:

I was letting you know that Deliverence was filmed in North East Georgia up in the mountains (Rabun County).

uke4all
07-26-2009, 06:35 PM
"Are you going to be doing that much longer?"

:rofl: lol!!!

I hear "your strumming isnt matching the beat of the song"
"it sounds, um, good"
"mom,I'm trying to watch tv" :p

bengbengchicken
07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
"Move! You're in front of the tv!"

bumblemark
07-26-2009, 06:48 PM

why were you playing in front of the tv? lol

bengbengchicken
07-26-2009, 06:57 PM
why were you playing in front of the tv? lol

Loool; weird thing is that im nvr in front of it. :confused:

im farther away then the couch.
They just like to yell at me :rolleyes:

Starting to think my second name is "Move"
:smileybounce:

Chrisuzwhite
07-26-2009, 07:24 PM
I could write a book on the subject.

nukealaily
07-26-2009, 08:21 PM
"my daughter has a pink one like that "

"pyschiatrists are using those to treat mental illness"

"are you gay ?"

"Can you play any proper instruments ?"

Teek
07-26-2009, 08:37 PM
How much did THAT one cost?! :rolleyes:

buddhuu
07-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I think I've gotten that at some point. I've also had a music teacher call it a mandolin... Twice.

I play ukulele and mandolin at gigs. They both get called "banjos"! WTF? Grrr!

"Cute little guitar" and "toy guitar" start to grate a bit after a while too... :wallbash:

UkuEroll
07-26-2009, 10:23 PM

You little fibber, bet your a great player really:shaka:

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Most Annoying Things I Hear When I Play?

MOSQUITOES!
http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/news/bcct/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2008/July/Thursday/mosquito.jpg

gabzuke
07-27-2009, 04:25 AM
LOOK! IT'S A MINI-GUITAR

thats what i usually get, its kinda sad

HaileISela
07-27-2009, 05:06 AM

MOSQUITOES!
http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/news/bcct/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2008/July/Thursday/mosquito.jpg

hell yes!

I wrote a song about finding my love (and I didn't find her yet!) and sung it to a cute American girl. Hours later, when she already kissed another guy, and we said farewell, she told me that she loved that song and that I'd have a lucky girlfriend. doh.

PoisonDart
07-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Most annoying things I hear when I play? The sound of my incompetence.

Oh yeah.... +1

I've never had anyone hate on uke but I have had people suggest that I'm ready move up to guitar.

It's kind of like when I get accused of being gay ( :confused: ) I don't know whether to be offended because I don't believe on homophobia or because I clearly dig the chix...

Luckily the answer to both suggestions is the same: Sleep with their girlfriend. :shaka:

Tanizaki
07-27-2009, 06:27 AM
hell yes!

I wrote a song about finding my love (and I didn't find her yet!) and sung it to a cute American girl. Hours later, when she already kissed another guy, and we said farewell, she told me that she loved that song and that I'd have a lucky girlfriend. doh.

Come to my seminar and I'll teach you some good seduction techniques. :cool: :shaka:

kariuke
07-27-2009, 08:11 AM
a wrong note, singing off tune (really embarassing), and/or buzzing.

Uncle-Taco
07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
[Drunk, testosterone-fueled "wanna-be guitar god" voice]:

"Heeeeeeeyy! [Greasy hand enters my personal space] ... Lemme see that!"
:wallbash:

ukulelearp
07-27-2009, 02:17 PM

MOSQUITOES!

Asian Tiger Mosquito!

thejumpingflea
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm Yours

bumblemark
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
thank you sir!

Melissa82
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Somewhere over the rainbow...

I've been playing for less than 2 weeks and people constantly as me to play this. Grr.

buddhuu
07-27-2009, 10:12 PM
You're all going to think I'm just saying this to annoy... :D

But I love 'I'm Yours' and I love 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'.

The vid of Mraz and Toca doing 'I'm Yours' on Korean TV is a totally superb performance. They have that audience so in their power that they could have used them to form the basis of an evil zombie army...

And Iz just rocks.

I love playing both of those songs... (Just not when my big, hairy biker friends are around.) :o

HaileISela
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
You're all going to think I'm just saying this to annoy... :D

But I love 'I'm Yours' and I love 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'.

The vid of Mraz and Toca doing 'I'm Yours' on Korean TV is a totally superb performance. They have that audience so in their power that they could have used them to form the basis of an evil zombie army...

And Iz just rocks.

I love playing both of those songs... (Just not when my big, hairy biker friends are around.) :o

same here. there's a record of that whole gig at ebs space, one of my favorites to listen to atm.

Come to my seminar and I'll teach you some good seduction techniques. :cool: :shaka:

thanks, but no. I think I'm gonna find my own techniques soon enough.

SeanKy671
07-27-2009, 10:31 PM
I hate the smart remarks of random people that mock you for doing something you love.

Also, I hate these:
"Can you teach me how to play the ukulele??"
Uhm no actually. No I can't.. Who do they think I am Aldrine Guerrero?? I don't know how to teach someone to play ukulele?? I'm not a private instructor! And the people that would ask me aren't even people i see on regular basis,

"Can you teach me a song??"
Again I'm not Aldrine Guerrero, and I don't exactly have songs I can just pull out of my pocket that I can just teach to people who have never held an ukulele. Most of my stuff is complicated. so I usually teach the super easy and oh so boring/embarrassing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"

"Sean....Sean......SEAN...SEAN..........SEAN SEAN SEAN etc. etc. etc."
DUDE!!! I was almost done with the song!!! Please don't break my concentration!!
Whether I'm singing, playing, or both!! If I'm playing a song and not answering you, it's because I'm ignoring you!! Is it really that important??

Maybe I'm a rude guy when it comes to these questions.
I never do say that to their face... well except for the last one lol
But it IS annoying when I get asked by EVERYONE to teach them how to play and I KNOW 95% of them won't even be dedicated. I'm sure some of you can understand that.

ichadwick
07-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Would you take you the garbage?
Has the dog been fed?
Will you let the cat in?
Would you answer the phone?
Can we talk about our credit card bill, now?
Have you walked the dog?
Will you please clean up the dishes?
Are we watching this show, or are you playing?
Is the radio too loud for you?
Aren't you going to be late for work?
Have you vaccuumed the stairs?

RyanMFT
07-28-2009, 07:34 AM
"Do you play that because it is easier with four strings?"
(I always say it is easy just like those four string violins are....)

"Does it drive your wife crazy?"
(My wife loves it sings along, and encourages me to buy more uke's)

07-28-2009, 07:45 AM
"Does it drive your wife crazy?"
(My wife loves it sings along, and encourages me to buy more uke's)

i encourage my wife to buy more purses, so i can get more `ukulele, fitted caps, fishing reels/lures, bodyboards, books and music etc.

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Citrus
07-28-2009, 08:54 AM
heh, I guess this is my first somewhat popular thread, one of the things I always get that I actually enjoy is when people want to see my uke. I know it feel weird that I want other people to hold my baby, but I like how some people are just intrigued by it, and I REALLY get a kick when guitar players think they can just pick it up and get the swing of it.

ihavenotea
07-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I hear "Knock off that racket and come to bed!" (I like to play late at night.)

I get the variant: "How much later our you going to play that." and the ever popular: "Do you know what time it is?"

I've gotten that…

"Can you play any proper instruments ?"

That is when I break out the Harmonica (I almost always have one in my pocket). Unfortunately the joke is on me, as I can play that better than I can my ukulele.

"Can you teach me a song??"

Show them one chord (any major chord, though "C" is really the way to go) and then you can teach them "Frére Jacques". It can be played without any chord changes. Or you can teach them Elephant Town.

I like to encourage people to reach out musically. True, most won't stick with anything long enough to make any real progress, but if I show 100 people how to play a simple song on the piano/ukulele/harmonica and one of them actually takes the time and effort to go out an learn how to play well after that, then it is all worth it.

Not enough people can make music these days. Even if you aren't skilled as a teacher, showing them something small and encouraging them to go out and try (heck, Makala Dolphin's are under $40 most places…) is priceless.

HaileISela
07-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Would you take you the garbage?
Has the dog been fed?
Will you let the cat in?
Would you answer the phone?
Can we talk about our credit card bill, now?
Have you walked the dog?
Will you please clean up the dishes?
Are we watching this show, or are you playing?
Is the radio too loud for you?
Aren't you going to be late for work?
Have you vaccuumed the stairs?

Do we live together with the same person?

dude, that's scary (though we don't have a dog...)

HoldinCoffee
07-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Ususally, the sound of my own playing is the most annoying sound I hear whilst playing... unless I'm singing too...

haolejohn
07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
heh, I guess this is my first somewhat popular thread, one of the things I always get that I actually enjoy is when people want to see my uke. I know it feel weird that I want other people to hold my baby, but I like how some people are just intrigued by it, and I REALLY get a kick when guitar players think they can just pick it up and get the swing of it.

What makes me mad is when every guitar player i know can pick it up and jam in 5 minutes with it. Here is a video of my cousin after fooling with the uke for about 15 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgeuLhZTYGo

mrplatypus70
07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
"Will you stop it, that is the most annoying sound!!!” this is usually when I am repeating a part over and over to get it down and is ALWAYS from the wife (still married due to lack of lawyer money). But since she too is the source of many annoying sounds I do not let it stop me! I have also heard, “Did you shrink your guitar in the wash?” And stuff like that but I think that is kind of funny. Personally I think it is harder to pull off a song on the ukulele than the guitar due to the shorter scale, less range, limited sustain etc. Real musicians are not afraid to play small instruments!!!

Citrus
07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
What makes me mad is when every guitar player i know can pick it up and jam in 5 minutes with it. Here is a video of my cousin after fooling with the uke for about 15 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgeuLhZTYGoI wouldn't feel too bad, I managed to do the same thing on banjo. On a side note, I think with how popular this thread has gotten, ukers most have a lot of pent up rage :wallbash:

HaileISela
07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Real musicians are not afraid to play small instruments!!!

yes! haha!

in fact a friend of mine who has played guitar for a lot of years now was so fascinated by my Uke that he got one himself. He plays Jazz mostly and it was sort of challenging for him that he now only has 4 strings (which will be enough for most of the chords needed). so now he's on an endavour to find out the best way to get the chords needed out of the Uke. you know, if you're playing in a band, there's a bass and a guitar and all that stuff and those people play some of the needed notes and he can concentrate on the rest...

real musicians in deed look for the challenge of small instruments!

Dirka
07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
I don't usually mind comments on "that guitar thingie" or people asking me to play Hatebreed or top 40s stuff. When I've got an uke in my hands I'm in a happy place, and just can't be annoyed. Remember, "it's impossible to be down when you play the uke".

I also don't mind that I'm not that good, because I'm still amazed that I can play at all. For a long time I used to think that music and I just didn't go together, so now I treasure every little chord I learn and play.

:shaka:

SeanKy671
07-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Show them one chord (any major chord, though "C" is really the way to go) and then you can teach them "Frére Jacques". It can be played without any chord changes. Or you can teach them Elephant Town.

I like to encourage people to reach out musically. True, most won't stick with anything long enough to make any real progress, but if I show 100 people how to play a simple song on the piano/ukulele/harmonica and one of them actually takes the time and effort to go out an learn how to play well after that, then it is all worth it.

Not enough people can make music these days. Even if you aren't skilled as a teacher, showing them something small and encouraging them to go out and try (heck, Makala Dolphin's are under $40 most places…) is priceless.

Haha elephant town xD

You know, I understand that exactly. As a matter of fact I DO enjoy teaching my friends, but there are the ones that I know I'm wasting my time with, though. But what can I do?? I'm a nice guy. lol But I truly do like teaching and spreading the ukulele love. In fact, I have done so, getting about 5 of my friends interested.

It's an amazing feeling to inspire somebody, and watch them follow the same steps you did, and become a decent musician in the end. Someone inspired me... They don't even know they did, but I'll never forget it.
Thanks again for the reply.. It made me remember that question is annoying yet encouraging when they stick to it. :]

SeanKy671
07-29-2009, 10:44 PM

This is interesting haha
You mean this doesn't happen to just me??
Random guitar players at school would sometimes ask to play my ukulele
As soon as they realize the bottom four strings of the guitar are somewhat similar, they go nuts with it.. playin stuff like stairway to heaven

To tell you the truth it doesn't really bother me.. I really don't know WHAT to think of it..

ihavenotea
07-30-2009, 05:37 AM

*laughs*

I have been practicing that piece all week planning to record it today or tomorrow.

Yeah, my guitarist friends always up show me on the ukulele, but doesn't bother me… I am usually happy just to hear someone play it well.

mrplatypus70
07-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I was a guitar player for over 20 years before picking up the uke so the chord shapes and scale patterns I already knew. The big difference is the 4 strings and the fact that the 4th sting is one note lower than the 1rst instead of 1 note short of one octave lower (fine for chords but both limits and adds new possibility to melody parts) I have gone from an electric guitar player (mostly 60's and 70's blues rock stuff, Led Zep, Peter Green Hendrix etc...) Then I was focused for a bit on fingersyle acoustic music (Leo Kottke, John Fahey, old blues stuff) I realize I am rambling now but what I am really trying to say is the Ukulele offers a huge amount of possibilities despite it's lack of range, sustain and so on. I think it is the limitations that force players to be more creative. I still love the guitar, both acoustic and electric but forcing myself to rethink guitar parts for the ukulele has made me a better guitar player and MUCH better musician in general.

Steiner
07-30-2009, 05:44 PM
My daughter always says

"Do you have to play your ukulele?"

ChiyoDad
09-07-2009, 06:29 PM
"Another one that failed at guitar."

Duddles
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
HOW CUTE! - This one probably crops up the most, and sure some of my stuff is angled on the cuter end for sure but when I'm playing some really technical heavy duty stuff I feel it's more than a touch condescending.

There's a couple more things but I'll leave them for you guys to vent on.

Dude! I get both of those all the freaking time and I hate them all! Well, the cute one isn't so bad, because the ukulele itself is rather cute, yes, but still... gets kinda annoying after some time.

For the mini-guitar one, I don't think I know a single person who hasn't called my ukulele by the name of a far inferior instrument thinking they are original. I hate my friends.

I also get looks as if I am special for playing some kiddy instrument and I deserve a cookie for my attempts.

Oh, and I'm called a dork a lot because of my ukulele obsession... I hate my co-workers too.

MGM
09-07-2009, 07:25 PM
most annoying LOL not really but I always have to stop playing is the PHONE ha ha

jdbuddha
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM
sometimes I wake up the wifey with some really loud strumming...."STFU":eek:

philip
09-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Tini Tim was a great artist...He brought the ukulele back from obscuity in the 1960's.
you should show more respect for the man. Look up his history and listen to his music....he did alot more than Tiptoe Thru The Tulips....he actually was a great ukulele player.

JCMcGee
09-08-2009, 03:19 AM
Yup..Tim was pretty good for the uke.

But he was also a bit loopy in his religious beliefs...and seemed to be a bit of a homophobe...."Santa Clause Has Got The Aids This Year"

Not sure if it's ok to post this...please delete if not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLLeQQBk2pk

Ronnie Aloha
09-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Most annoying thing?

As you finish the set and leave the stage someone says, "Your fly is open."

brickerenator
09-08-2009, 06:36 AM
"A ukulele? That's a silly instrument for silly songs! I had an uncle who owned a ukulele, all he ever did was play silly songs!"

Thanks dad

Brad Bordessa
09-08-2009, 01:06 PM
The most annoying thing I hear when I play is a note that buzzes!

I don't give a hoo what anybody else thinks about my instrument choice. But the worst thing I hear is some negative comment about how the 'ukulele won't take you as far as the guitar, it's not a serious instrument, you need to learn guitar, etc... I was crushed when my optometrist who I thought was cool said something along those lines. Well, I wasn't crushed, but I was bummed that he wasn't as great as I thought he was. It was like hearing that Batman wears a mask to cover up acne. I'll prove you wrong! I'll prove you all wrong!!!!!!!

zaiu
09-08-2009, 01:59 PM
"are you seriously playing that banjo again? can you stop , I'm trying to tell you something"

"I hate your ukulele"

"Stop strumming"

"Can you stop please."

"You should play the guitar"

"....wait , that actually sounded good."

all from the same person.

franulele
09-08-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't mind hearing it's "cute" because, well, it *is* cute, like my Pembroke Welsh Corgi is cute! And I don't mind saying so!

What I don't like hearing is snooty comments from so called learned persons with degrees in music (which I have... a music degree, that is) with narrow minds, who seem to think if the composer didn't die at least 75 years ago, and it isn't played by an orchestra or on a grand piano, than it doesn't qualify as legitimate music.

Citrus
09-08-2009, 04:32 PM
well this got one heck of a bump.

Got one last week which kind of confused me. It was a compliment but seemed REALLY odd. "If you played any wrong notes, I couldn't tell" Was I supposed to play a wrong note?

But I'm happy that most people really enjoy my stuff, I hope my upcoming youtube videos get the same amount of views this thread did.

JT_Ukes
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
"Your lute is out of tune."

tbone
09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
(still married due to lack of lawyer money). !

After 23 years my wife and I just say we're "bound by debt". The nice thing about the uke is the size. One of the reasons I started to play was it was easy to have in the car for down times at work.

The annoying part though is whenever the uke comes out there is that "oh...do you know tip-toe through the tulips". I agree that Tiny Tim was probably a good musician in his day, however his character overshadowed the uke. Yes he made people aware of the uke but unfortunatly it is remembered more as a prop than an instrument.

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
my family talking..

MisoHappy
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
OMG PLAY I"M YOURS/SUPER MARIO!
Most commonly asked. very annoying. I must give in however, because that's all they wanna hear then they leave me in peace. Also, everyone knows I'm of the few that can play the latter song

LAUREN CAN I PLAY?! I WANNA PLAY!
Fine, but no dropping, hitting on tables, messing with the tuners, taking out the battery, and you have 3 minutes and counting.

I bet I can play better than you...
Pshaw! I beaten every person that has told me that. I love watching their jaws hit the floor when I get to serious playing.

Man, that's a small guitar..
It's NOT a guitar! It's just a big uke! not ALL ukes are little 10 fret toys you know...

I think that guitar's broken.
Really? I had no idea! Thanks for telling me!

Why the heck do you always bring that to school for?
To PLAY?!

Play for what?
I just slap my forehead and give them my "Are you kidding me" look

I'm just glad I don't get any comments saying "I suck" or "Aww! how cute!" Or "OMG look how lame that is.."

ChiyoDad
09-14-2009, 03:12 AM
... it's not a serious instrument, ...
On two other forums, that statement ruffled feathers and started at least one hot debate a couple of years ago.

ChiyoDad
09-14-2009, 03:20 AM
What I don't like hearing is snooty comments from so called learned persons with degrees in music (which I have... a music degree, that is) with narrow minds, who seem to think if the composer didn't die at least 75 years ago, and it isn't played by an orchestra or on a grand piano, than it doesn't qualify as legitimate music.

Did you ever read this quote from Frank Zappa? :D

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Benno
09-14-2009, 04:25 AM
"That's not a real instrument, it's a toy guitar!"

"interresting... do you play guitar?!"

Honu
09-14-2009, 04:47 AM
This just happend yesterday. I was at a park just playing my Uke with my wife and I noticed this Biker slow down and looked at me. I thought it was someone who liked the Uke, but when got close enough he yelled out "Idiot!" straight at me and biked off. Maybe he wasn't a fan of Jason Mraz... :rolleyes:

buddhuu
09-14-2009, 06:00 AM
This just happend yesterday. I was at a park just playing my Uke with my wife and I noticed this Biker slow down and looked at me. I thought it was someone who liked the Uke, but when got close enough he yelled out "Idiot!" straight at me and biked off. Maybe he wasn't a fan of Jason Mraz... :rolleyes:

Or maybe he was just a tw@t...

Honu
09-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Or maybe he was just a tw@t...

I'm not sure if that @ is supposed to be an I or an A but I do believe both words describe the guy.:D

Kmetzger
09-14-2009, 08:18 AM
The only thing that annoys me when I'm playing, is if someone asks me to stop. I often will play late at night when my family's gone to bed, and sometimes I play a little too loud :-/

Andybeans
09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
heh, i'd say the most annoying thing i hear is my uke buzzing. My tuning peg for my C string is loose or something, because it buzzes like no tomorrow, but when i put a rubber band on it and brace it up against the uke, the buzzing stops.

that, or requests for I'm Yours.

Doctroid
09-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I thought it was someone who liked the Uke, but when got close enough he yelled out "Idiot!" straight at me and biked off.

Must have been talking to himself.

RevWill
09-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I did play publicly a couple of years ago, and afterward the emcee joked, "if he can do that with a ukulele, imaging what he can do with a whole guitar!"

Well, I'm pretty good with a "whole" guitar too, but what I do with it is completely different than what I do with a uke. They may be in the same family but to me they're two very different instruments.

Rainhill
09-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I've not even started playing yet, and dont own an uke, but have been telling family and friends how cool ukes are and how much I want one. But the most annoying thing I keep hearing is "...what? Like George Formby?!" :mad: I think the northwest needs more uke heroes!! :nana:

iamdanielle
09-15-2009, 06:15 AM
"A ukulele?....Do you play the guitar too?"

Rick
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
My mom told me I wasn't even good when I told her that my job deemed me their ukulele expert :/

Citrus
11-09-2009, 11:07 AM
heh, I'm a little bit too adamant about sharing the awesomeness of ukulele

I took my ukulele to class today and played (its was a group work day and nobody was actually doing work) and all I got was "WHY WOULD YOU WHERE THAT?"

in retrospect that was probably because I was wearing a leopard print snuggie.

of course when I asked my teacher what kind of music he liked, so I could play some for him, he replied with "as far as easy listening goes?" ugh don't group me with micheal bolton and kenny g plx

Fuzzy
11-09-2009, 11:11 AM
"Aw, look, a little kid's guitar!"

Here's one that happened a few weeks ago; I was trying to think up artsy type lesson plans for a class I was teaching. A fellow teacher asked me if I play an instrument. I said yes, I play the ukulele. He said, "So a music lesson is out, then". :mad:

ainokeato
11-09-2009, 11:20 AM
The most annoying thing I get is when people compare me to IZ I mean don't get me wrong, IZ is one of my Idols and it's nice to hear it but it's almost all the time i'm out in public. I had this one time out at a park this guy passes me looks at me then leaves the park I guess he went to his car came ALL the way back just to show me he had an IZ CD and that he listens to it all the time. Lmao

I haven't gotten the Mini-Guitar comments yet lol but I have had a lot of people tell me they went to Hawai'i and how much fun they had their. It kinda gets awkward at that moment, "That's... Cool? I hope you had a nice time?" lol.

johncaudrey
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm looking forward to annoying comments when I play my ukulele in public!
As I juggler/unicyclist & stilt walker I have heard so many unoriginal comments, any ukulele based ones will be most refreshing, for a relatively short period of time!

bazmaz
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Being in the UK, by far the most common statement I hear is "oh god, you are just like George Formby". Now that annoys me, mainly cos George usually played a Banjolele, and I play a wood Uke. All of that said, I do have 2 or 3 GF songs in my repertoire, so who am I to complain.

Next most common comment is from my 9 yr old daughter who usually says either "oh dad, you havent bought another ukulele have you, you dont need that many"... or "Dad, all you do is play that Ukulele"....

Ukulele JJ
11-09-2009, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=pauljmuk;248061]Being in the UK, by far the most common statement I hear is "oh god, you are just like George Formby".QUOTE]

I would love for someone to compare me favorably with George Formby. :)

JJ

ukuleG
11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Being in the UK, by far the most common statement I hear is "oh god, you are just like George Formby"....

this a lot followed by them singing "when i'm cleaning windows".

nohandles
11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh you play Ukulele, Like Tiny Tim ah? Hate it, hate it.

Monkeyswithladders
11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
So far I haven't had any comments or questions that bothered me, provided they were before, between, or after songs. It bugs me when I'm in the middle of a song and someone decides that's the best time to ask me something. That isn't really ukulele specific, but I think people don't realize talking to someone in the middle of playing music is the same as interrupting when a person is talking or listening to somebody.

mangorockfish
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Today Sweet Dumplin's (that's my lady friend) housekeeper saw my uke case on the steps and asked, "Do you play the mandolin?":rolleyes:

ukestang
11-09-2009, 02:43 PM
I have not been playing long, but when someone asks me if I can play Tip toe through the Tulips, I tell them it's to hard. Then I start into The Who's, "Won't get Fooled Again." They usually shut up and make no more requests.

ChamorroDT
11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Well...

I've been playing for almost 8 years and when I started I only knew ONE other person who played; my brother. But now, being a 2nd year college student (I'm 19) and living in SD, it's practically ubiquitous so people so "Wow, you play that thing now too?"...

NO, actually I've BEEN playing thank you very much...no one ever notices me -sigh-...

Professor Palmer
11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I once jammed with some people at a party, and several girls listed off Jack Johnson's entire discography asking me if I could play any of his songs. And I was just like :stop:

SkeeterAsada
11-09-2009, 04:21 PM
"dude your nails are long"
hahaha

KoloheBoy
11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Bad timing.

FromTheWayside
11-09-2009, 05:38 PM

That's kind of amazing.

Also, the most irritating think I hear is a strange, abrasive squeaking sound my strings sometimes make when I finger-pick. Odd.

bazmaz
11-09-2009, 11:57 PM
My mother saw my Flea the other day for the first time and asked me if it was a Balalaika...

Big Bob
11-10-2009, 12:48 AM
The most annoying thing I hear is my playing then I take my hearing aids out and back in heaven...lol

ukecantdothat
11-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Tini Tim was a great artist...He brought the ukulele back from obscuity in the 1960's.
you should show more respect for the man. Look up his history and listen to his music....he did alot more than Tiptoe Thru The Tulips....he actually was a great ukulele player.
Tiny F**king Tim. If I hear this guy's name one more time... I can't tell you how many times he comes up, and it's not always in a flattering way. He really does need his own thread, so we can see some real fireworks. First of all, he didn't bring it out of "obscurity" in the 60's. The instrument was and is doing just fine (in an obscure island chain in the Pacific...) without his "help." What he did was forever associate it with quirky eccentrics. So what if he knew how to play? He sure didn't care if it was in tune from what I remember. If he was at his height today, he'd be a judge on American Idol, because we looooove fools. No he's not a "moron" or whatever someone called him. Far from it. He's actually one of the smartest people you'll ever come across, who was more than happy to play the fool. I'm, sadly, old enough to remember his televised wedding to Miss Vicky. That would be it's own reality show if it were happening today. Oh, wait... Lamar & Khloe... Same thing. And before anyone jumps all over me, let it be said. I LOVE TINY TIM. But then, I love a lot of dorky stuff (see "Dorkfest '09" thread!). And I can only imagine Hawaiian players, steeped in tradition, shaking their heads when this mainlander's name is invoked.

ukecantdothat
11-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Oh, I forgot to put the most annoying thing I hear... That would be:

"Oh, nice! I can use you at my next luau."

Of course there is no luau, next or otherwise.

phil_doleman
11-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Yup,The Formby references strike a chord with me.So much so that Ian (the other half of the Re-entrants) has a 'No Formby' T-shirt.

We frequently hear 'ha, those guitars are tiny'. We (being two large, shaven headed blokes dressed in black who are often confused with the venue's doormen) just fix them with a steely gaze and say 'No, they just look small because we're f...ing enormous'. Usually does the trick.

ukecantdothat
11-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Yup,The Formby references strike a chord with me.So much so that Ian (the other half of the Re-entrants) has a 'No Formby' T-shirt.

We frequently hear 'ha, those guitars are tiny'. We (being two large, shaven headed blokes dressed in black who are often confused with the venue's doormen) just fix them with a steely gaze and say 'No, they just look small because we're f...ing enormous'. Usually does the trick.
Hey! New thread! Formby vs Tim!:anyone:

ukecantdothat
11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I have not been playing long, but when someone asks me if I can play Tip toe through the Tulips, I tell them it's to hard. Then I start into The Who's, "Won't get Fooled Again." They usually shut up and make no more requests.
This is hilarious! I did the same thing with "Pinball Wizard" and got the same result!

100percenthapa
11-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I hate when people say they can play ukulele and ask me to let them play, so I do and they can't.......i get bothered a lot at school......:D