Gettin' meself a banjolele...

EricStetson

Reaction score
Hi fellow ukers,

I've been thinking about this one for some time now, I'm looking at getting a banjo-ukulele (or banjolele) and I was wondering if anyone had some general advice on the subject. The only new ones in stock anywhere it seems are the gold tone and their deluxe model, although there's some interesting ebay prospects. I was also wondering which strings to put on it to give it the brightest, twangiest sound possible.

Shameless plug:

I've got four of them in stock right now...

4b.jpg

One soprano, two concerts, and a tenor. I believe the tenor is already spoken for. Two other concerts on the way (late this week) which will have friction pegs instead of the geared tuners. Only the soprano is on my website yet as I just finished the other three this afternoon. They will be up for sale tomorrow :)

AWESOME Tenor Dave. :D
I put Aquila Banjolele string on my old La Pacifica Banjolele, and I'm happy. I'm not sure who besides Aquila makes Banjolele specific strings.

Plain ole concert uke strings work great on banjo ukes.

I've just restored a 1930s banjo uke. Just waiting for a new vellum head for it. They are mental, but great fun.

Anyone who picks up a banjo uke and doesn't try to play at least one song in Formby style has no soul. :D

I'm certainly happy with my banjolele by Dave G.

-- Al :music:

I'm totally getting one from you Dave. I'd be glad to make a youtube video and throw you a plug - I'm on a quest to make a bluegrass-worthy cover of Cripple Creek on the uke and that's how I started this whole banjolele search. My girlfriend Kate is a pretty good uker herself and she'll help me out making it happen.

-Eric

One of those geared tuner concerts WILL be mine (unless somebody beats me to it again)!:D

I got myself a 1920's banjolele from ebay. I like the vintage models, nice sound and very low action (can be brought up with a higher bridge wich was also in the deal).
I prefer a real skin head, the plastic ones sound a bit thin and... plasticky (could be just me though, I would pick real skin just for the looks :p).
Don't expect the vintage models to be cheap though, a decent one will set you back 300-400$
When I got mine I immediately restringed with Aquila concert strings, I don't expect any difference with what they sell as banjolele strings.
Now it sounds bright, crisp and LOUD!
If I want to play mutiple songs on this in my (small) room I need to wear earplugs :shaka:.

woah banjo ukes are awesome!
maybe thinging of getting one someday
still standard tuning right?

Well I went ahead and got one from Dave - can't imagine any better advertising space for a uke-maker than right here in this forum...so good move there. When it arrives I'll be sure to let folks know how awesome it is and maybe gloat about having it. It's so cool to talk to the guy who built what you're buying. This is one of only a handful of things I'll own that wasn't assembled by 5-year-old Indonesian children. Top shelf!

I bought the other concert size he had. Lately it seems that his stuff is sold before it makes it to his web sight. Business must be good! I hope it stays that way for him. This is the second uke I've bought from Dave and if it is as good as the first I will be a happy camper.

I have one of Dave's concert banjo ukes (#89) and I enjoy it. It is LOUD, and I like to sit outside on the porch of my workshop and play it. It has a hefty weight and a pleasantly broad fretboard.

I have a 1920-something S.S. Stewart "Collegian" (Serial #10) that I rescued and restored, and it's great fun to play. It made a nice weekend project, cleaning and straightening everything and putting a new head on.

I once passed up a several-inches-thick stack of vintage Rogers calfskin heads. Been kicking myself about that for years now. The best new skin I could find is nowhere near the quality of those old ones.

Top Bottom