im in love with koa. i want a solid koa uke. whats the cheapest i could get one for?

If you want a REAL made in Hawai'i 'ukulele handmade by a Hawaiian luthier you can't beat Mr. Emil Bader's Koa 'ukuleles. Here's one but grab it quick! :shaka:
http://www.globalcreationscart.com/product_4807.html
image.php

I'm pretty sure OS does not make a solid Koa 'ukulele this one being a laminate though a very nice laminate at that. ;)

Oscar Schmidt does make a solid koa uke, but that one is not it. That is a laminated uke. The solid koa is the model OU280SWK and is $899.00 when you can find one. It is a beautiful instrument and well made. It is concert-sized. German Village Music Haus in Columbus, Ohio has one in stock right now.

If you want a REAL made in Hawai'i 'ukulele handmade by a Hawaiian luthier you can't beat Mr. Emil Bader's Koa 'ukuleles. Here's one but grab it quick! :shaka:
http://www.globalcreationscart.com/product_4807.html
image.php

Personally, I might lean towards this one. There's a lot to be said for an instrument made by one guy in Hawaii vs. a factory in China and if Ahnko Honu is going to vouch for the quality, I'd weigh that heavily in its favor. And the price is pretty amazing for solid koa.

This is a limited custom deluxe version, and it IS solid koa... I have one tight in my hot little hands! Ahnko...that's what makes this such a good deal! He only has a few of these left!

ou5dlfront.jpg

Check in the sound hole. The OU5DL has a three-layer laminated body. It is a nicely made uke with some deluxe treatments, but it is laminated.

This is a limited custom deluxe version, and it IS solid koa... I have one tight in my hot little hands! Ahnko...that's what makes this such a good deal! He only has a few of these left!

ou5dlfront.jpg

I did some research. It is select hawaiian koa wood. I don't think it is solid because it doesn't say solid koa. The ebay listing is misleading. I could be wrong but I went to oschar schmidts website as well as others and no one had the ou5 deluxe listed as solid koa.

I did some research. It is select hawaiian koa wood. I don't think it is solid because it doesn't say solid koa. The ebay listing is misleading. I could be wrong but I went to oschar schmidts website as well as others and no one had the ou5 deluxe listed as solid koa.

One annoying thing for me is when I see these listed as "all koa". That makes people think that it is solid, but that is really not what they are saying.

Years ago, I went to my mother's house for dinner and she showed me a new dinette table that she said was "solid wood" and it was sold to her as "all wood". It was masonite covered in a veneer. Years later, when the veneer started to peel, she finally believe me when I said that it was not solid wood. She was angry with the salesman. I knew the table was not solid that first day that I saw it. I saw the bottom side of the "top" and saw that it was masonite.

Deceptive advertising and trade practices stink. The term "select" actually does mean that the wood used in the veneer was picked for aesthetics and that it is knot-free and visually a high grade. Unfortunately, many people take that to mean solid wood. "All koa", however, is just plain lying.

go with Ahnko Honu.

Don't be turned off by the price. The luthier isn't trying to max his profits so he sells them dirt cheap.

Top Bottom