Help!! koaloha pineapple sunday vs. sceptre vs. KCM-00

mikeeG7th

Reaction score
Hi there. I am looking to buy either a koaloha pineapple sunday or a sceptre or kcm-00 model -- Concert size.

I bought a koaloha concert KCM-00 before and sold it as I thought it was too small for me. That's why I'm considering maybe a pineapple sunday or sceptre will make a difference?

I switched to a Kanile'a tenor which is great for it's size but I kept on looking for the Koaloha concert uke that I had before. I loved its sustain, brightness, loudness, and sweetness of sound -- it just sings and played like butter along the neck.

So now, with my UAS on the move, I can't decide between a Koaloha KCM-00 vs. pineapple sunday vs. sceptre.

Any thoughts as to sound, sustain, loudness, playability between the three? I intend to do a lot of fingerpicking and strumming so both are important to me.

Lastly, any thoughts between a concert and a superconcert size?

Unfortunately, I don't have any uke stores around where I live so I could try them and I don't have the money to go to Hawaii. :( .... either that or I go to Hawaii and just stare at the uke.

Thanks and sorry for this lengthy question. :bowdown:

The koaloha superconcert is a concert body with a tenor neck. I want and will get a PS and a Sceptre one day but you can get a concert and tenor koaloha for the price of either one almost. 3 weeks ago I was in the KoAloha factory and there were no sceptres or Pineapple Sundays. I got a concert while I was there and it is loud but the sceptre is supposed to be the loudest. If you sticlk with the instinct to get a KoAloha you can not go wrong.

You said that you thought a concert was too small for you, and you like your tenor neck. So sounds to me like you should go with another tenor neck. I have a KoAloha SuperConcert and love it. Tenor neck on a concert body gives concert-vibes and concert-sound with the playability of a tenor neck.

But if you have the funds and want a more unique body shape, I'd say that you should go for a Pineapple Sunday or a Tenor Sceptre (also since geared tuners are preferrable to friction IMO.) I've played both, and can tell you that they both play great, and are both very loud. However, tonewise, I didn't think that they were quite as sweet as my KoAloha Superconcert or my Kanilea Tenor. But tone is very subjective. However, in terms of cool-factor, the PS and the Sceptre are off the chain!

I vote Pineapple Sunday. I've played both the PS and the KoAloha Superconcert, and prefer the unique sound of the Pineapple Sunday. Of course, I'd have all of the above, if funds allowed, but... I enjoy both, but I find the PS is just a little richer and brighter in tone. I currently own a superconcert, which is my primary player, but hope the uke gods will bless me with a PS soon!:D

thanks for all the response... so far, I'm still curious, any pros and cons with playing with a sceptre or a pineapple sunday -- compared to a regular concert design? does the shape affect the ability to hold it, keep it steady while using it? their unique shape make me wonder if they will be a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to actually handling and playing them-- if that makes sense at all.

so you guys rock for any info that will help me with this :rock: I'm hoping to order my uke soon :D

thanks for all the response... so far, I'm still curious, any pros and cons with playing with a sceptre or a pineapple sunday -- compared to a regular concert design? does the shape affect the ability to hold it, keep it steady while using it? their unique shape make me wonder if they will be a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to actually handling and playing them-- if that makes sense at all.

so you guys rock for any info that will help me with this :rock: I'm hoping to order my uke soon :D

do you have access to any? because depending on how you hold it, yes it feels different from a normal wahine `ukulele. smiley, the owner of `ukulele source, to him one of the "rays" from the spectre jabs his arm so he doesn't like it. to me i had no problem. the ps seems too unbalanced for me. it's all personal preference. if you really like it save for all three.

i say pineapple sunday :)

I own a PS and have played a few tenor Sceptres. The PS is extremely head heavy, at least in comparison with most regular shaped ukes. That's because of the small body paired with a tenor neck with sealed geared tuners. It's pretty easy to get used to the different weight distribution, but it is noticeable. With the stock Worth BL strings (I think current production PS uses different strings), it has a sweet and complex sound that has a hint of mandolin to my ears. It has good volume, but during a side-by-side comparison with a KoAloha concert, I think the concert felt louder. As for the tenor Sceptre, I remember thinking that it felt like a more macho sounding PS. More punch and volume but a little less tonal complexity. I don't remember if it was as head heavy as the PS, but I'm guessing it's less so due to the body design.

As for playability, I firmly believe it is a function of setup and not brand or model dependent. My PS was setup with extremely low action out of the box and it almost plays itself, but I've played one in Hawaii that was almost unplayable due to high action. Both the PS and Sceptre are basically "double cutaway" type design so access to the upper frets are very good for both of them.

I think all three are great sounding ukes. If you favor volume and punch, the concert or Sceptre will probably suit you better (perhaps the tenor Sceptre, if you find the concert to be too small for you). For a little more tonal complexity and a hint of mandolin flavor, the PS makes a fine choice.

Last edited:
Just got my Pineapple Sunday last week. It is very loud, more than my KoAloha Concert. Haven't played a Sceptor yet but I am planning on buying one this Nov. when I'm on O'ahu. You won't go wrong with a Pineapple Sunday.

A quote from Brian at KoAloha that may be of some help. He was explaining the models to me:

"...Now the super concert. Again, if you want a longer scale than a regular concert then this would be the next upgrade. In my opinion, if your willing to invest in a super concert, you might as well go one step further and get a full sized tenor model. The difference in cost is $80. "

to put this in context I was indifferent between everything Sans a Tenor. He told me if I went for a super concert to just add some more $ and get a tenor.

What GX9901 said about the PS being top heavy is true. You'll also get that in the Superconcert though, and probably in the tenor sceptre too. That was actually the first thing I noticed about my Superconcert. It felt funny at first, but you get used to it. I've had no problem holding the Sceptre or Pineapple Sunday myself.

However, the unique shape does make it difficult to find a proper case for it. I'm not sure if KoAloha makes a special Sceptre-shaped case, but I've only seen it put inside tenor cases with lots of wiggle room in the body area. My superconcert did not fit in any of the concert cases (neck too long) or tenor cases (body too small) so I ended up adding padding to my tenor case, since I didn't know that they made superconcert cases. As for the PS, I think George has a nice fitting case for his, but I also believe his is an expensive Ameritage case. Not sure if that'd fit in a regular case...it might though... I'm pretty sure KoAloha will need a custom case for that new Jukebox uke though.

As for the Superconcert vs Tenor thing, I think it depends on what kind of sound you want. Because concert and tenor bodies do make different sounds.

Hi all, sorry for reviving an old thread but I am having the same problem as I can't decide which ukulele to buy.
I was wondering if the concert and tenor sceptre have the same size body and just different scale lengths?
Also what do you think about the regular concert vs the concert sceptre? If I could only have one.
Thanks a lot for any responses

Hi all, sorry for reviving an old thread but I am having the same problem as I can't decide which ukulele to buy.
I was wondering if the concert and tenor sceptre have the same size body and just different scale lengths?
Also what do you think about the regular concert vs the concert sceptre? If I could only have one.
Thanks a lot for any responses

That's a great question...

Probably one that's best directed at KoAloha themselves. Below is their website. Their contact number is there. They will be happy to answer any of your questions regarding the two. It's just how they are. :)

http://www.koaloha.com/

Well, I have a Pineapple Sunday, and my father-in-law has a tenor Sceptre.

I can tell you this: both produce a great volume of sound, and don't buzz no matter how hard you strum them. But, in my opinion, I'd have to say the Sceptre wins out in the volume category.

if you can only have one, I would personally go for the KCM-00...you might get tired of the odd shape of the others. Unless you just like odd stuff!

i HAVE a Pikake concert, a regular tenor. and have had a tenor septre. if you are looking for punchy volume, go with the septre. it also has the WOW factor. I think the regular tenor has a more balanced, tenor tone, more bass. the concert is really light, with the more traditional uke sound, and is plenty loud. I'm not a big fan of superconcerts, I had a Mainland and found it awkward, but I have long arms. You can probably get a used concert and tenor for the price of a septre. I like the older tenors with the crown bridge better, they have gone to a really plain one like on a Kala now,so that's what I'd do.

I agree with ukerdan I think the Koaloha concert is one of the best sounding concerts out there, at any price.

Last edited:
If you like the extended bass response of a larger body, go with the super concert or scepter, probably. If, like me, you want the tenor scale but really like the sound of sopranos my PS is the best of that combo that I've found. More volume and sustain than a soprano, obviously, even than my KoAloha longneck (concert scale) soprano, in fact, but with very similar tonal balance to the latter.

John

I have owned all three and pound for pound, dollar for dollar, you cannot beat a KoAloha concert. All sound fantastic and unique to themselves, but if price is a concern, I would go with the Pikake concert.

Thank you all very much for your answers, they are very helpful!
I've decided that some time down the track I will get a Koaloha tenor and I am looking for something to aid that in the concert scale, if you had the tenor would you go for something a bit different with the concert sceptre or go with the better sounding KCM-00?
To me, when I heard the KCM-00 (in a video) I was In love with the sound, I thought it was absolutely perfect.
But when I saw the sceptre I was In love with the looks
I know that sounds is above all but I just can't help loving and wanting the sceptre!
Last thing haha for those who have heard both, is the sound different enough between the kcm-00 and the concert sceptre to warrant both?
Thanks again
Riley

Top Bottom